• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Air Filter worries

StratTuner

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I just replaced the airfilter on my NC.

Q: Is it possible to install it upside down?

Ever since I finished, I've had this nagging worry that it's in there wrong.... somehow. All the fittings went back in place snugly, and I didn't have a single bolt/screw left over.

Q: What side of the filter faces the engine? what side faces out from the engine?

I'm trying to avoid taking it all apart again... but I probly will... once I find out how to check what's correct and what's not.

It's basically impossible to install it backwards and put it all back together correctly. Especially if you didn't have to force anything back in the right place. Also, once you learn how to take the parts apart to install a new air filter, it only gets easier and faster from there. Took me 10 minutes to get everything apart and back together to install the filter.

the video is very helpful, but it's not bolt for bolt.... that's an S model NOT an X.

I think I got it right after tearing it all down again, dropping two screws into the engine and agonizing over finding both.. (I found them).

I think I got it right... the seal is solid and "feels" right.... and the whole process only took about four hours. (That's not exageration: 4:30 to 8:30 PM) It is possible to flip the air filter right to left and it will still mount..but not very well. Flip it again and the mount is solid and...air tight? Probably so....

I am reminded again why I am not a mechanic. Yes, the NC started up nicely when all was said and done.
I'm glad it all works, but I'm not pleased with the effort. It lacked any kind of skill.

Last edited:
Just changed my air filter today at 15k ,it was a little cleaner than the one in the video. It took me about 30 min, about 10 of that figuring out how to reset the plastic fasteners.

Back