• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Another Chain oiler - Scottoiler eSystem

Bugsy

Reaction score
Visit site
I hate taking care of chains. I hate cleaning them. I hate lubing them, or more specifically, deciding when then need to be lubed. Every 300 miles? really? Every tank of gas? Does the chain have to be cleaned each time? What about when there is salt residue on the roads? What about when I ride in the rain?
For a fastidious (well, worrier might be more accurate) person like myself, it’s a lot of angst. I know that for the mileage I want and the option to easily change final drive ratios, chains suit me just fine. Also, when they do wear out, they’re relatively easy and inexpensive to replace. That was my rationale when I bought the NC700, and why I installed a center stand as soon as I got it. A center stand makes the maintenance chores much easier.
Still, I hate taking care of chains. Within a thousand miles of buying it, I was already fed up with it.
Enter the Scottoiler. This latest version is electronically controlled (no manufacturer who fits a modern fuel injection system wants you tapping into the intake vacuum), through a little aux display mounted on the handlebars. It can tell when your engine starts, when you’re moving at 20 - 30 mph so it can start dispensing, and of course it controls the flow rate. You can change the flow rate at the panel to match your riding conditions; e.g., more frequent drips for high speed, rain, salt. Standard is about a drip a minute. And the promise is, you never have to clean a chain again, and chains last 2 - 3 times longer, with less adjustment and less horsepower loss.
That’s for me.
What they don’t dwell much on is that it’s a pain to install.
Number one, I ordered the dual dispenser which puts oil directly on both sides of the sprocket, instead of allowing surface tension to move it to the other side. Recommended for rotten conditions; gravel, wet, etc. and besides, the single side, which everyone says works fine, didn’t make sense to me.
So one has to attach the dispenser to the swing arm, positioning it in 3 planes with enough precision to get the dispenser nibs to lie right on the sprocket but basically with no pressure on the sprocket, so they won’t be knocked out of adjustment if you turn the wheel backwards. Oh by the way, they have to be mounted rigidly enough so they won’t be misaligned by pounding on poor surfaces.
It took me two tries, at a cost of about 3 hours per try, to get a setup I was satisfied with.

Scottoiler 2.jpg
Then, of course there’s mounting the display (don’t interfere with the steering, display visible, fish the wiring harness to the battery), and the reservoir (tucked out of the way, more wiring, filler access, delivery tube securely mounted to the swing arm - see dispenser above).
Then for the final insult, you have to clean all the previous chain lube off the chain.
I figure total installation took about 10 hours.

Scottoiler 1.jpg
Today was the first test ride, about 40 miles on mostly secondary roads, not-too-good surface. The pictures above were taken just after the ride.
My first thought was, this thing’s not working. The chain looked dry, and there was no residue on it.
Closer inspection showed it’s working, and it really keeps the chain that clean. Note the slightly wet nibs, the wet sprocket teeth, and the occasional fling mark on the rim. That, according to the instructions, means I’m slightly over-lubricating the chain at a drip every 50 seconds. Makes sense according to what I have read.
And everything is still positioned where it started out.
Supposedly you have to replace the dispenser nibs every so often (they give you lots of material to make spares) but other than filling the reservoir with their proprietary oil, that’s it. And if you have someone else install a tire, warn them so the dispenser can be swung out of the way before the rear wheel is removed.
This could be good.

Thanks for this post.

I once tried the double sided nib with a Scottoiler. It was more trouble than it was worth and I eventually reverted to the single sided dispenser which functions every bit as well. Looking at my chain from the rear You would not be able to tell whether it had been lubed by a double nibbed or a single dispenser. I eventually moved from Scottoiler to Tutoro also. My only beef with the Scottoiler is excessive complexity, and its not easy to get the flow exactly right. They are otherwise quality systems.

Excessive complexity? IMHO, it's much easier to use an electronic than a gravitational oiler (like Tutoro). Proper lubrication needs adjustment to speed and environmental temperature (affects viscosity) & conditions (you need more flow at the rain).

Both problems are solved with eSystem. It's very easy to adjust the flow through the control unit, and viscosity is not a problem because of the pump... 50"/drop is always 50"/drop.

I found Pro-Oiler even easier to use and more effective because all the adjustments are done automatically (it has a GPS receiver to detect speed).
The installation of eSystem took me about 5 hours (and 10' in a tyre shop) but I was well prepared and the installation was plug & play...

Quick push on the dispenser whenever you feel like it on my 20 quid lubeman works fine ,about one hour installation without instructions ,maybe ten minutes with. I also dispensed with the double sided dispenser as it seemed to catch when reversing the bike and have drilled a wee hole in the chain guard so it drips above the chain slider so no further maintenance at all and avoids fling altogether unless you lube up every stop.
Also at 47000 miles I have not once needed a center stand ,its very easy to jack up safely to get the rear wheel off the ground using a cheep scissor jack under the suspension. also very easy to tip slightly and tie the bike over to do likewise but not as safe.
I am not sure how a `when you can remember it `push on an oiler is a chore.
This is not meant as a criticism but just to let people know who havn`t the dollar spare.

I run the same oiler on my bike they work very good, and easy to adjust. I normally turn it down a little on long high speed trips. I have run about 7000 miles before refilling, or adjusting the chain. Dale

I run the same oiler on my bike they work very good, and easy to adjust. I normally turn it down a little on long high speed trips. I have run about 7000 miles before refilling, or adjusting the chain. Dale

Dale......do have your "oil ports" mounted far from the chain ( like OP picture #1 ) or are they close to the chain ?

Dale......do have your "oil ports" mounted far from the chain ( like OP picture #1 ) or are they close to the chain ?
Sorry have been working on my new adv rack system, and not looking on forum. I have the feed tube on the bottom, at about 7 oclock,with the slant against the sprocket, not the way the instructions tell you to install it. I found that less mess is made this way, the oil is put on the side of the sprocket, were the wind has less chance of blowing the oil all over the place, and centrifugal force carries the oil to the chain. Dale

I have not once needed a center stand ,its very easy to jack up safely to get the rear wheel off the ground using a cheep scissor jack under the suspension. also very easy to tip slightly and tie the bike over to do likewise but not as safe.
I'm not sure I understand the last option, but it's important to me the center stand is always there on the road. It's convenient any time you need to spin the rear wheel (tire pressure check) and also convenient when you're loaded with side and top cases - step up on the footpeg, swing a leg over (no mean feat at my age), roll off and go.
Yes, the E-kit is at least twice as expensive as it should be, but hopefully amortized over 10 years or so, I'll feel better about it.

Last edited:

I read a post from you a couple years ago about how they are to messy and doesn't get the lube where in needs to go. How did you reconcile these problems and how do you get 7000 miles before refilling? Most people that I have read about get 1000-2000. Thanks for helping me understand more

Back