• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Anyone running a decat? (Arrow, Leovince, Blackwidow)

CDA441

Reaction score
Visit site
I'm planning on getting a decat for my NC (non-dct), because I feel it still has problems to breathe. I'm also planning on getting a K&N filter for it, but first i also want to hear experiences from NC owners that run both.
And are the downpipes for the NC700S and 700X interchangeable?

I also never heard the sound of an NC with a decat in good quality audio.
Most of the videos I find on YT are filmed with potatoes or with just a slipon.

I picked up that there is an additional fuel controller needed, but others tell me that I only need to reset the ECU so that it learns the new configuration by itself.
Please school me on this because it's very weird to hear 2 contradicting things.

Also reading this thread: http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-...t-does-improve-performance-heres-figures.html
I'm not really into that performance thingy, but I do like me some engine sound and some throttle response.

And what about the Leovince pipe? It has a hump to control noise regulations and tuning the powerband. What if it was a straight through pipe like an Arrow or Blackwidow, would it affect performance?

Thanks in advance :)

Remember, the NC700 engine has one intake and one exhaust port combining the two cylinders and eight valves. That, at some point, might be your limiting breathing factor, possibly more so than on bikes with an intake and an exhaust for each cylinder.

Have you determined that Honda erred and chose to install a catalytic converter that was too small?

2012-Honda-NC700X-Tech_11.jpg

Last edited:
Remember, the NC700 engine has one intake and one exhaust port combining the two cylinders and eight valves. That, at some point, might be your limiting breathing factor, possibly more so than on bikes with an intake and an exhaust for each cylinder.

Have you determined that Honda erred and chose to install a catalytic converter that was too small?

View attachment 33510
I am aware of that.
Weight is also a factor to make the upgrade, but it seems that there's not a lot of gains to it, except for a nicer engine sound. But will it be worth it or are the tradeoffs too high? (increased mpg, lower top speed?)

I installed a cheap slip-on awhile ago and lost a little bit of power and put the stock back, that's after playing with the baffle and resetting the ecu again for every change and ample riding to make sure, made me nervous about removing cat or buying a pipe without one

Last edited:
I'm not really into that performance thingy, but I do like me some engine sound and some throttle response.

And what about the Leovince pipe?
I have a Leo Vince. It was already mounted to a used 2012 NC700XD I bought, after having ridden my previous 2012 NC700X with OEM exhaust for a couple of years.

I immediately noticed and was pleasantly surprised by the change in the exhaust tone (there actually was one). It wasn't louder that I could determine, it was just a deeper throaty tone with a bit of gargling when I let off the throttle. When I upgraded to a 2016 NC700XD, the Leo Vince was swapped right over to it.

IMG_0811.JPG

I can't say it helps performance, not to any point it is noticeable by me, I just luv the distinctive tone. I'm sure other aftermarket slip-ons also sound nice, for more or less $$$.

Just my 2-cents.

Ray

I have a Leo Vince. It was already mounted to a used 2012 NC700XD I bought, after having ridden my previous 2012 NC700X with OEM exhaust for a couple of years.

I immediately noticed and was pleasantly surprised by the change in the exhaust tone (there actually was one). It wasn't louder that I could determine, it was just a deeper throaty tone with a bit of gargling when I let off the throttle. When I upgraded to a 2016 NC700XD, the Leo Vince was swapped right over to it.

View attachment 33608

I can't say it helps performance, not to any point it is noticeable by me, I just luv the distinctive tone. I'm sure other aftermarket slip-ons also sound nice, for more or less $$$.

Just my 2-cents.

Ray
I think you get the wrong idea, I already have a slipon (ixil hyperlow xl) and I like the sound of it.
I opened this topic to ask for people running a decat (header/downpipe) for their NC :)

For what I read, it's not a really good investment to decat the bike, and I don't have any cash to spend on stuff for my bike :')

Better get me a pannier rack, because I still have leftover e22 panniers gathering dust :)

Decat is a waste of money on this engine unless you make major physical changes. Even then...high risk...little reward.

If you want better throttle response, put a 15T front sprocket on.

I'm noticing no real difference in "throttle response" riding with a 17t front sprocket instead of the 16t that was on it. Any spread change between gears is so slight and easily compensated for by moving up any shift point you might have been using before by maybe a couple hundred RPM. And if you want to rip harder you simply get closer to redline before each shift than you did before. As a bonus I can actually get through most intersections from a stop now without feeling an overpowering urge to upshift to second within 20 feet ; }

The primary reason one would go to 15t is to get a 1st gear that's lower if that is desired, and putting the lower gears in a better range for such use.

15t also seams like a tight bend for the chain. If your riding mostly off road and didn't want to go faster then 80mph I could see going that way. But the 17t is really smooth on the highway for what most are using the NC I would recommend going with that

15t doesn't seem like that much of a bend after seeing guys try 12t on the WR250R a few years back. Sliders take it quickly in that case which most of them probably eventually figured out. Stock on the WR is 13 but I use 14 which is the largest that will fit, and compensate with a larger back sprocket. Less horsepower and torque on the WR though, naturally...

Back