• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

AZ Open Range + cow + NC700 = Crash

HondaTree

Reaction score
Visit site
I have switched sides from those riders that haven't gone down to the side of those who have.
On my way to work at 0300, aka (crazy dark) I came over a rise and smacked into a black cow. It's open range here and for those of you who don't know what that means, it's basically cows have the right to go anywhere they please and they have the right away. I have lived here my whole life and I am very familiar with this fact.
But I just wasn't ready that morning.

I see it after coming over the hill and it is pointed to the right and the only possible escape route for me is to brake hard and duck in behind it. I'm doing an easy 55 mph and not many feet to react. I act immediately and in my head I missed it. Me bouncing all over the road for what seemed an eternity told me otherwise.
The front of the bike in the pic still shows moo cow fur where I made impact.

Bike goes down, sticks on the left side and grinds for who knows how long because I went tumbling.
Separated clavicle due to the first contact with the pavement being my shoulder. Punched a hole right in my jacket at point of impact. Had all my gear on except my gloves.
I will NOT make that poor judgement call again. Knuckle came out and turns out it's supposed to be tucked neatly inside. Hand surgery that day. All my gear worked.
Just a reminder to those that might be thinking like I have for years that I have never gone down and I'm tired of wearing it. Glad I did!!!!!

Soooooooooo on to the bike. I'll try to tack on a couple pics, but surprisingly not as smashed up as I would have thought. Although the estimate is still just north of 3 large.
Full coverage so I should be back on the road as soon as I can figure out how to make my thumb work.

The left pannier is ground down to the point of being unusable. I'm going to use the rear and right even though they popped off and went for a tumble themselves. They have character now.
Anyone have a lone left OEM pannier they want to sell?

30+ years of riding for my first spill. I'm just fine to space the next one 30 years also. But I will wear my gear still.....just in case!

Attachments

• 2014-08-28_13-20-24_503.jpg
    2014-08-28_13-20-24_503.jpg
    96.9 KB · Views: 518
  • 2014-08-28_13-19-07_249.jpg
    2014-08-28_13-19-07_249.jpg
    101.9 KB · Views: 515
  • 2014-08-28_13-25-24_693.jpg
    2014-08-28_13-25-24_693.jpg
    100 KB · Views: 487
Glad you escaped serious injury. I guess that depends on what is serious. Sorry about your crash. Heal quickly.

Heal well man, this is an unfortunate event. Not to sound insensitive but was your best bet to just plow into the animal. It's deer season here in SC and I see them everyday on my way to work and worry I will be in a similar situation to what you were in and can't decide the best course of action. So your opinion and experience would benefit us all I think. Thanks and if it's too much to ask then no worries.

Glad you had most of your gear on.

Too bad you didn't have a camera on, you could have son the tag for animal blocking the road.

These guys got through a hole in fence. No open range in Georgia. Lucky for me daytime on fairly straight section of road.

IMG_2173 (2).jpg

Heal well man, this is an unfortunate event. Not to sound insensitive but was your best bet to just plow into the animal. It's deer season here in SC and I see them everyday on my way to work and worry I will be in a similar situation to what you were in and can't decide the best course of action. So your opinion and experience would benefit us all I think. Thanks and if it's too much to ask then no worries.

I low sided missing a deer last year - I was banged up and rashed my knees when the pads rotated. Rode the NC home.

I hit a deer 4 years ago resulting in a broken ankle, broken elbow, tweeked knee, and a multitude of colors over my body.
I was able to crawl to the side of the road awaiting rescue.

I pick missing.:)

Thank you. I always thought if I couldn't miss the animal just plow through it. However it seems lowsiding and laying the bike down is best. Especially since I have aluminum hand guards and saddlebags.

Ouch! Sorry you got hurt - hand surgery isn't much fun. Good luck on the rehab you'll be doing, either formal with docs and techs or just on your own by flexing and such.

Good point about the gear. Familiarity does sometimes breed contempt - especially in our Arizona summers, when any excuse to shed some layers seems as though it might be good thinking (even if it's not really a stellar idea).

I'm thinking it's time for a steak dinner :D Payback is a *****! I like your attitude, You may be down, but you ain't out. Good Luck!

You never know when something crazy like this will happen. Like you said your best defence is gear. Some times you don't have time to react. Glad it wasn't any worse than it is but it is still bad enough. Hope you heal quickly.

Thank you. I always thought if I couldn't miss the animal just plow through it. However it seems lowsiding and laying the bike down is best. Especially since I have aluminum hand guards and saddlebags.

I didn't lay it down on purpose - panicked, and screwed up my brake and swerve move. If the animal is small, don't swerve to save the animal. I would not want to drive through a cow or a large deer. In my case if I didn't lose the front end I would have been unscathed.

Last edited:
I didn't lay it down on purpose - panicked, and screwed up my brake and swerve move. If the animal is small, don't swerve to save the animal. I would not want to drive through a cow or a large deer. In my case if I didn't lose the front end I would have been unscathed.
Every time I read something like this I am thankful for my ABS. There are few if any riders who can match the stopping distance of ABS, and the wheel won't lock up.

Every time I read something like this I am thankful for my ABS. There are few if any riders who can match the stopping distance of ABS, and the wheel won't lock up.

That is one thing I wish the manual had. ABS. I've had a couple scary moments with some emergency braking and I know ABS would have helped.

over here there are deer on the road from time to time.
Just hate to get a male deer with antlers pointing at me.

glad your safe... take care
ken

Back