• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Big Guy Touring Mods?

chuckTheCableguy

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello All.

New NC750X owner, after 17yrs on a Concours.
Still getting use it being Cold and Windy on the NC750 .-)

Looking to make a few modification that I have not seen in the forum yet, and wondering if anyone else has done or thought about doing them.
To understand, I'm 6'-4" and carry 240lbs. So lot of this has to do with Tall-and-broad-ness.

First, I prefer the sport-Tour position. Slightly forward, but not laying on the tank (although Id o that a lot on this bike).
So I think I need to move my handle-bars forward and down, about 2", and potentially make them a little narrower.
My concern with this one is, clearing the Windscreen and body work.

Second, I'm not kidding when I say, It's windy.
Has anyone installed any good looking Wind Deflectors to route air around the legs?
Even if this requires an Engine guard, I'd be ok with that.

Next is a modification to move the mirror's to the Body?
It find them difficult to use when I'm backing out of the driveway, maneuvering between the car's.
Also, I think having less wind resistance, pressing on the handlebars, would make for better control.
Lastly, they make it feel really wide, when Lane Splitting.

Last one, is a Wider Windscreen.
I'm pretty tall and pretty wide, and would like my shoulders to get a little protection in the winter.
I'd mount it on an adjustable mount, but those are pretty easy to find on-line.

That's about it... nothing too difficult, right?

I see a lot of talk about Seat Comfort.
I find the perfect fix, is to speed up and take corners like you're on a race track... basically, get off the seat.
Easy to do out here in SoCal, with good weather and epic mountain roads like Palomar Mt.

I look forward to hearing from ya'll.

Chuck-E

I suggest the Madstad windshield system for upper body wind protection. For the lower body look up in Members a fellow by the name of Strattuner. Click on Content or All Threads on his profile page. He was very creative in fabricating modifications of all sorts on his NC700X.

Reactions: MZ5
Yes, strat is your man for creative, inexpensive, do-it-yourself mods, especially wind protection.

I’m right there with you. This being my first bike out on the highways, I wasn’t sure what to expect. The wind is often horrendous. I’ve mostly dealt with it. I thought maybe it was me, but the wind really can push on your hands at speed. I’m also tall at 6’ 3” but I’m barely touching 200lbs. I tuck sometimes at windy crossings and since I’m mostly commuting, I’ve learned where the wind tends to push hard.

I also like to ride slightly forward very upright, but it’s almost impossible over 60mph!

At this point, I just want to get my legs a little farther down and forward.

JPD,
I ride in for work periodically, but it's rare with this bike. On my Connie, I wouldn't think twice about 185miles each way to visit a customer.
On this one, I pause... then get on the bike anyway, then fill up halfway there. MPG is great on the mountains, I'm seeing very real 70mpg.
But on the hiways, where the average vehicle speed is 80mph, and I'm staying safe by "staying away" from them, I'm averaging 55-60 at best.
So.. I tuck. More like Lay down. Feet on the rear pegs, arm across the Frunk, eye's just above the visor.
One thing I love about this bike? The sound of engine when it pulls from 80-100mph.
The Psudo V-Twin. Reminds me of my old Magna.

Last edited:
One thing I love about this bike? The sound of engine when it pulls from 80-100mph.

A little off topic, but...

That must be why I fell in love with this machine! My 84 Magna is in the shop getting transmission rebuilt, so I picked this one up to serve as a 'do everything' bike.

'84? That's the 700cc? Classic. My brother had one and it was the reason I went for my '99 Magna.
I was sorely disappointed they moved to a Chain drive and full cruiser style. That lean back position hurt too much.
I need to be forward more, which is again, why I'm looking to move the bars forward and down a bit.
Haven't had a chance to dig around and find StratTuner yet, but it's on my list.

The NC750 sound sealed the deal for me. I was like... This is an Inline Twin, why does it sound and pull like a V-Twin? 90 degree offset, they tell me.
May be another Mod I consider. Exhaust to accentuate that V-Twin sound.
Braaaaaaaap (think GAU8) instead of MMeeeeeerrrrrrrrr (think mosquito).

lol, I gotta get back to work.

JPD,
I ride in for work periodically, but it's rare with this bike. On my Connie, I wouldn't think twice about 185miles each way to visit a customer.
On this one, I pause... then get on the bike anyway, then fill up halfway there. MPG is great on the mountains, I'm seeing very real 70mpg.
But on the hiways, where the average vehicle speed is 80mph, and I'm staying safe by "staying away" from them, I'm averaging 55-60 at best.
So.. I tuck. More like Lay down. Feet on the rear pegs, arm across the Frunk, eye's just above the visor.
I’m also in that mpg range. I typically travel at 70-80mph. Indeed the hard engine pull even 40-60 is a great sound!

I’m also in that mpg range. I typically travel at 70-80mph. Indeed the hard engine pull even 40-60 is a great sound!
I did about 2000 miles of fuel consumption testing a few years ago in order to get a reliable fuel burn figure at 80 mph. It was for some long distance IBA ride planning I was doing at the time. I found I could count on 50 mpg at 80 mph with my 2015 DCT equipped with a Madstad shield and Barkbusters increasing the frontal area of the stock configuration.

For whatever reason the NC is very sensitive to ambient air temperatures and mpg drops in cool weather. Though it was but three fuel ups I got mid 40s on a 400 mile ride at 80 in 30s and 40sF temperatures.

I did about 2000 miles of fuel consumption testing a few years ago in order to get a reliable fuel burn figure at 80 mph. It was for some long distance IBA ride planning I was doing at the time. I found I could count on 50 mpg at 80 mph with my 2015 DCT equipped with a Madstad shield and Barkbusters increasing the frontal area of the stock configuration.

For whatever reason the NC is very sensitive to ambient air temperatures and mpg drops in cool weather. Though it was but three fuel ups I got mid 40s on a 400 mile ride at 80 in 30s and 40sF temperatures.
lol... He said Frontal.

I would think cooler weather would be good too. But...
Optimum vapor temp for fuel and air, is well over 100+ degrees F.
The 750 is way de-tuned and doesn't put out much HP, meaning low Heat (I miss this about my Connie on cold days).
Put together with 30-40 degree outside air temp, and it's feasible that we're not getting an efficient Fuel/Air vaporization, decreasing MPG...
Just a guess.
I Do have a BS-ing degree from MSU...
.-)

I thought it might be from the mission profile of optimal volumetric efficiency and engine tuning to pass Euro 5 long before it was required. Cooler air being more dense requires more fuel to remain at the narrow programmed optimal fuel to air ratio?

lol... He said Frontal.

I would think cooler weather would be good too. But...
Optimum vapor temp for fuel and air, is well over 100+ degrees F.
The 750 is way de-tuned and doesn't put out much HP, meaning low Heat (I miss this about my Connie on cold days).
Put together with 30-40 degree outside air temp, and it's feasible that we're not getting an efficient Fuel/Air vaporization, decreasing MPG...
Just a guess.
I Do have a BS-ing degree from MSU...
.-)
“Way detuned” is probably not an accurate description of the NC750 engine. That might suggest one could simply “tune” for way more power, but that is not the case. Even marginally more power is not readily available, except perhaps by major engine modifications.

Last edited:
Ok, not de-tuned. How about, tuned efficiently.

What I mean is... a 2021 CB500F has 50HP. The NC750 has 58HP.
Only an 8HP gain, with 250CC increase?
The design is taking advantage of Torque, rather than Horse Power.
So efficiently using the little muscles, along with a Long Lever, to move the world.

Anyway. Love bantering, but I'm afraid a moderator might tag me for being off-topic.
I'll check into the mod's when I have $ome Time.

Thanks,

Back