• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Can The DCT model of the NC Do Long Distance?

This guy road this 50cc bike around the world !!
You can ride ANY bike long distance if you set your mind to it !!
842de239942fcd74837c673f127503a9.jpg

Live life,be yourself !!!!.

Probably a dumb question but can the DCT model do long distance rides pretty well? (My version of long distance being up to 500 miles in one day)

The dct can do long distance. Not sure why the doubt with the dct...can a manual tranny car do better than an automatic?

Fatigue is a real problem on 500 to 1000 mile days. A member of this forum who was a very good rider, is now paralyzed due to falling asleep in Canada while on a trip back from Alaska.

Anytime you get even a little bit drowsey, you have to stop for awhile. Never ever try to keep riding no matter what, you have to take a break then and there at the next exit.

Eating too often will also cause you to get sleepy on long days. Ride hungry!

One of the things I do is to stop at truck stops that most times have TV rooms. In the middle of the day, I will set on the couch in front of the TV and go to sleep of a short time.

Riding uncomfortably! This helps to help you keep your focus. Turn off your electrics on cold days, turn your radio up loud and listen to songs you can do not like, or do anything that makes you uncomfortable.

Like it or not, you have to have down days for rest! Unless there is a real good reason to drive these long distance days, just do not do it.

Do not ride uncomfortably! It will dramatically increase your fatigue. Ride with something that is positively stimulating. Music is good. Playing games that keep you alert while riding are also good. I speak from experience. I just did a 2,000 mile ride over 5 days and even took an extra unplanned day of rest. There is no need to push yourself while you are tired.

Don't ride hungry either. If you are starving, that will increase fatigue as well. Eat small meals and snacks and drink a lot of water. Dehydration will also make you tired a lot faster.

Take breaks. If you are in a hurry to see a dying relative or some other emergency, I would not recommend riding. Driving a car is less taxing and is probably a better route.

I really like the truck stop TV room recommendation. I am going to try that on my next ride.

I think a DCT equipped bike is perfect for long distance riding. Think about it. Start Your journey and twist the throttle. No clutching, no gear changes, the bike does it all. That has to be a plus when it comes to the fatigue induced by travelling long distances.

I agree to a point with staying hungry, but not too hungry as the blood sugars can decrease and that can cause serious issues with long distance travel and concentration, as does dehydration. My personal preference is to have an occasional snack with some water during the course of a long day. I will also have an occasional coffee but not too much as there are consequences to that also which involve stopping again ;)

Don't worry about the machine. Just take care of yourself.

Dehydration, loss of energy, tiredness, uncomfortable rider equipment, may all lead to decreased attention, even perception..

On long trips (or very hot days) I always have enough water enriched with electrolytes, and a high energy snack, and some very strict red lines, like never ride after the sunset, or when not feeling well, when I'm tired etc...

DCT is excellent and adds to the comfort, especially in winding roads...

An update: just put 10,000 miles on the bike in July; 6 days in a competitive rally over mostly twisty roads, then a lot of interstate to upstate NY before returning to Seattle. Handled great. I do have an auxiliary fuel cell that was custom made to double my capacity, which is really nice for long distances. Here's a photo of me during the Butt Lite VIII rally coming down from a bonus: 13627011_10210229738405822_6325330932660364247_n.jpg

An update: just put 10,000 miles on the bike in July; 6 days in a competitive rally over mostly twisty roads, then a lot of interstate to upstate NY before returning to Seattle. Handled great. I do have an auxiliary fuel cell that was custom made to double my capacity, which is really nice for long distances. Here's a photo of me during the Butt Lite VIII rally coming down from a bonus: View attachment 30859

I saw your bike at Backfire moto last week !!
Mine was on the next street over !!

An update: just put 10,000 miles on the bike in July; 6 days in a competitive rally over mostly twisty roads, then a lot of interstate to upstate NY before returning to Seattle. Handled great. I do have an auxiliary fuel cell that was custom made to double my capacity, which is really nice for long distances. Here's a photo of me during the Butt Lite VIII rally coming down from a bonus: View attachment 30859

Did you not read the rules???? You must be on a GSA, FJR or a Goldwing to do long distant rally's LOL

132927849162bcda01040475d6f58423.jpg

I met Troy Martin, the 1st place finisher of butt lite 8, outside of Childress tx on the Thursday before the rally. I was on my yellow Goldwing. I was pulled over readjusting some stuff. Troy pulls over to see if I need any help. First class guy. He was on his way to Denver.

BTW I did 6000 miles in 9 days in August on the NC. More comfortable than the Goldwing.

9a033dd243abe0cd007c4cf166828703.jpg

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Last edited:
Back