• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Chain Maintenance

Well.... today, at considerable expense (350€ - nearly one minimum wage!) I replaced the chain (actually the whole kit).
My chain was fubared, full of kinks, very worn out.

It lasted 23'000kms (14'000 miles). Is this normal for a 700x? Too soon? Should I take better care of it?
I'm a bit miffed cause after 300€ on tires, I spend another 350 on the chain kit, and another 100 in brakes (front and rear), and another 80 on the oil change... Bike is costing as much as my Renault Qashqai's maintenance....

you should do chain maintenance every 400-500 miles unless you off-road a lot, then every 200-300 miles. An oil change on these bikes takes about 15 minutes (20 if you have to look for the tools): removing 2 bolts for the shroud, one oil drain plug and unscrewing the oil filter. Save some money and do the oil change yourself.

Well.... today, at considerable expense (350€ - nearly one minimum wage!) I replaced the chain (actually the whole kit).
My chain was fubared, full of kinks, very worn out.

It lasted 23'000kms (14'000 miles). Is this normal for a 700x? Too soon? Should I take better care of it?
I'm a bit miffed cause after 300€ on tires, I spend another 350 on the chain kit, and another 100 in brakes (front and rear), and another 80 on the oil change... Bike is costing as much as my Renault Qashqai's maintenance....

First, I empathise with having to fork over hard earned cash nowadays, and 830 Euros? Gah! :eek: :(

Second, unfortunately, you can never really compare a motorcycle to a car for time/money in regards to a bottom line maintenance cost ratio.

And as far as the NCX versus any other bike, the 700 doesn't use top of the line $$$ tires that say, a ZX1400 requires, but it does cost more than say, a CBR125R for rubber. Same with the chain and sprockets, oil changes, brakes, etc.

Being miffed at the cost of chains, sprockets, oils, tires, all consumable items you would have to buy for any other bike regardless, is fully up to you. It's not as if the 700 is uniquely more spendy than any other comparable bike.***

*** My CBR125R makes my NCX look like a giant hole that I dump money by the wheelbarrow-full into, my BMW F800ST...jeez, don't even get me started on how much a nightmare of ungodly $$$$$$$$$$$ that horrible thing cost me.

I never had to spend a single cent on chains or sprockets in all the years of owning my CX500Turbo, 'cause it was shaft drive, but that had it's own very expensive drawbacks to deal with, that I will never have to compare with the NC700X

All of the enjoyment you get from your NCX (hopefully :D) is sadly, no more "free" than any other form of transportation, unfortunately it's a fact of life that the money clock is always ticking...

I clean and lube my chain every week at about 250km traveled. Nothing heavy scrubbing, just spray degreaser, wipe over with cloth and spray thin Teflon lube.

Was thinking since I do so regularly, will it be better if I get a normal (non-O/X) chain when due for replacement?

As for myself, for carring the chain, I use the following devices:
- for lifting the rear weel, at home and on tour: Pack'n Bag.
- To aply lube: Lube Cube.
- To wash periodically the chain, giving it back a brand new aspect: CCB, Chain Clean Box, that alows me to clean the chain with motor oil.

JA.

I've only recently bought an NC and it's been 53 years since I fooled with a chain. Love those shaft drives. Low Maintenance. I cleaned my chain with a chain cleaner and then lubed it. I've asked several guys that only ride chain bikes and they say they, depending on dirt/riding conditions/ dry wipe the chain down and lube it every 2 or 3 tanks of gas which would put it about 750 miles. Dirtier conditions require more cleaning and lubing. I have to purchase a center stand as my bike did not have one mounted. I just use my bike lift, tie the bike down, tie the front brake and do the job if I am adjusting the chain, cleaning and lubing. If just lubing I remove the chain guard, clean the chain by moving the bike and then lube it by moving the bike, replace the chain guard and go. I am going to buy a small can of WD-40 to take along with me but don't intend making many trips over 200 miles or so. I have a cruiser to make those trips. And thank you fellows for sharing your maintenance info on this forum. Shaft equipment doesn't require all of the maintenance that chains do and learning what and how some of you do your work helps us that don't know a bunch.

Please do not use WD40 - it is mainly cleaner not lube. I'm using lube for steel ropes of elevators and cranes.

I used a wax based spray made for lubing your chain for almost a year when I went to change the sprocket and chain I spent more time trying to clean that wax stuff off the rim and swing arm, then I did changing the parts. I'll never use that stuff again I got a tutoro oiler, I got two quarts with it, when they run out I'll use the same motor oil I put in my NC700X

Last edited:
Back