• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Cold Weather Starting Issue?

Ruggybuggy

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have a strange problem with the bike ever since I brought it out of storage for the winter. When I start the bike (no throttle) when cold it will fire up, run for about 2 seconds then die. Hit the starter button again and runs without issue. I let it warm up and runs as new. Bike has around 10K on it. I drained the old fuel (stored properly) and added fresh gas with a good dose of Seafoam and the problem persists. If anyone has had this problem how did you resolve it?

Thanks

Just a guess at this point.........and not sure if you want to start tearing into checking and testing ?

The IACV ( idle air control valve) would be one thing to check. There is a removal and inspection in the shop manual on page 7-25. If it's sticking or gummed up it may fix itself with a little use.

IACV is responsible for air flow during cold start and idling.

Last edited:
Thanks, if it doesn't straighten itself out by the weekend Ill remove and clean. It's strange the IAC would gum up after only a couple years of use. I probably should have a look and see how the air filter is doing anyway.

The battery condition may not be responsible but it nonetheless comes to mind. Cold weather, higher load on the battery, more voltage drop during cranking, maybe a bit of hesitation before it recovers? Maybe a really long shot but it shouldn't be completely overlooked.

Storing a bike long term will often throw up issues no matter how careful one is with preparation. Modern fuels are usually the culprit. However it could be anything.

Personally I would bring the bike out for a long days riding, and include some high speed freeway cruising. If that does not clear things up then fair enough, go looking. One of my KTM's always reacted poorly to being left unused for more than 6 weeks. I used to have the devil of a job getting it to run right on initial startup but a good days thrash on the backroads usually sorted it out.

So I discover that the ECT sensor is out of spec and I need to replace it. Problem is I don't want to have to wait to weeks to get a replacement. Does anyone know of a Honda automotive sensor that would have the same specs. I did find one for a2004 2.0l Accord that looks identical.

sensor.jpg

sensor2.jpg

Update. I order the ect sensor from Honda. I didn't want to take the chance that the aftermarket one might not work properly. I installed and the issue has been resolved. So if you have cold starting issues don't forget to check the ECT.

Very easy to get at and doesn't require body panel removal. If you look on the right side of the bike just behin the right cylinder you will see the thermostat housing. The ECT is screwed into the housing.

Back