• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Confusion.....an idea.

the only reason we gone metric is that our government can screw us on tax.
once upon a time petrol went up by a say 4 pence a gallon , now its 4 pence a litre so that make an increase of 18 pence a gallon .
big different greedy bastids as if they don't get enough from us poor souls
sobbing-1310.gif

Taxes? You know nothing about taxes!
I'm convinced that WE invented this this this... eh thing and then developed it to perfection where nobody ever will get away from the TAX MAN :)

Having spent over half my life overseas in Europe and all around the rest of the world (literally - I have been circumnavigated the planet twice, dealing with knots and fathoms) and I hate the metric system for most things. Celsius too me is completely useless, trying to set a temp with a system that you have to use decimal points to have any accuracy is an unnecessary pain in the ass (arse). The United States does not need to change to the metric system because its easier, our schools teach our standard as well as metric now, our standard is not hard to understand if you are raised with it and the metric system is simple enough for a kindergartener to get it. This is America and we are what we are, no difference than any other country being what they are. Measuring in inches, feet, cups, gallons, ounces and pounds are no big deal and all Americans understand the metric system now, we (less certain scientist and engineers) just don't want to go metric, we like what we have and it works well. So covert the mileage, or don't, we'll figure it out, we're good that way and for the most part not afraid to do the math.

Yeah, and for the same reasons when you travel to another country you think you have the right to be understood in english, or the guy in the other side has the obligation to speak english. Just because English is easier -for you. I don't think that way, and my presence here demostrates it

BTW, there is another important measure very popular today: the length of a baseball field

I'm interesting in knowing what additional accuracy has ºF over Celsius

Yeah, and for the same reasons when you travel to another country you think you have the right to be understood in english, or the guy in the other side has the obligation to speak english. Just because English is easier -for you. I don't think that way, and my presence here demostrates it

BTW, there is another important measure very popular today: the length of a baseball field

the English language is widely spoken.
not many countries speak Spanish,French,German or indeed Scandinavian.
if we could speak all those languages then we would be the head of Euro!!
when we go abroad I try to speak in their language like please and thank you and a bit more.
and they just laugh at us in a nice way of course. at least we try.

The more I study other languages, the more I realize that English is a horrible language. It has a complicated set of grammar and pronunciation rules that it doesn't even follow half the time!

When I traveled I always tried to communicate in the local language. I used phrase books (no smart phone translators at the time) and I never expected anyone to speak English. For the most part I found that people appreciated the effort on my part and were more than helpful because of it. Don't judge all American travelers on the ones that have only left their home states for one vacation overseas. Here in Florida we get travelers from all over Europe, a lot of whom do not speak English and have a hard time dealing with local merchants who have only dealt with their own language. About a month ago I overheard a group of Germans trying to buy fishing equipment in a local Wal-Mart, being that I still speak a fair amount of German, I took the time to assist them in getting fishing licenses, and the equipment they needed to have a great time on our local waters. My hope is that if they were to see an American struggling to communicate in their country, they would try to help, remembering that not all Americans are redneck jerks. Just remember that this is a very large country and that even though we have more than our share of knuckleheads, we are not all loud and insensitive. As for degrees f, its a wider scale, so easier to set accurately with out a decimal point.

I admit I do not speak other languages,,I,m too lazy the learn...But in my job I have to deal with folks from other counties all the time...Language is never a big issue,,a smile goes a long way..As regards English being the worlds dominant language,,,, "So What" some language has to be dominant,,,Spain had there chance and "Mucked up" French hehehhehe do,nt think so,, We all know the next era is coming,,,and its Chinese!!!!!!!

Here's a little US to Metric conversion for our international friends - Gas (Petrol) price in NJ on Tuesday this week...$1.75US per US gallon (about 46 cents a liter) :cool:

Yeah, lot's of jacked up crap to complain about or make fun of here in the US but our gas is getting cheap again...for now.

Back