• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Confusion.....an idea.

moses

Reaction score
Visit site
That we on this side of the pond (UK) after we quote MPG that we put in brackets after it IMP.

eg 65mpg (IMP)

Stops confusion, and pos on your side of the pond 65mpg (US)

Just for those that dont know, there is a difference in Imperial Gallons and US Gallons.

MO.

When someone asks me for my mpg or l/100, I look at them and say, "you're missing the point of motorcycling as a hobby. I don't look at the fuel costs for my massive fix..." :p

And if they insist to know, I just tell them " she's a camel, drinks very little.... Goes very far".

Why not start using the universal standard liters per 100 kilometers (l/100 km)? :)

Because those of us that don't use the metric system don't have a clue what is good. I don't get why you would want to know how much fuel you use at a set distance. To me it would make more sense as km/l (or whatever you use that's bigger than a liter). Also why such a small unit for volume?

Farmers here use gallons per hour as a measure

I usually just look at the location of the poster and translate myself asuming they have posted in local measurements. UK has Imperial Star Destroyer gallons, Sweden has some strange Kill O’ Meter measurement, U.S. has plain old nothing fancy gallons.

Well, while we're at it....
... why not put in some more wood in the fire? :)

metric_values.jpg

Last edited:
And if they insist to know, I just tell them " she's a camel, drinks very little.... Goes very far".
That's a good one! :)
Actually, many (if not all?) of my friends with two-wheelers are quite envious of me at the PETROL stations while filling up. I use to fill a third less than they do. At some fillings I don't fill at all as it is not needed, but just sitting there waiting for them to finishing up! :)

That's a good one! :)
Actually, many (if not all?) of my friends with two-wheelers are quite envious of me at the PETROL stations while filling up. I use to fill a third less than they do. At some fillings I don't fill at all as it is not needed, but just sitting there waiting for them to finishing up! :)

Here at Spain we use to say it expends less than a lighter :)

metric_values.jpg

How very interesting that you introduced the graphic with metaphorical speech....

One of the best reasons to hang on to the old system is that the metric system SUCKS for metaphorical speech.

28 grams of prevention are worth 454 grams of cure....?

Give them a centimeter and they'll take a kilometer....?

Traffic was just centimetering along....?

No thanks.

And I will never understand that bizarre "liters per 100km" measurement. What nimrod thought of that one? I can deal with mpg or km/l just fine, but I don't even bother with that ridiculous "liters per 100km" nonsense.

metric_values.jpg

As a US citizen, I'm totally in agreement with you here, Christian. The USA missed the boat big time by not adopting the metric system while they had their chance. Stupid, stupid, stupid.

Let's see, how do we keep this all straight?
5280 feet in a mile
128 ounces in a gallon
36 inches in a yard
43,560 square feet in an acre
16 cups in a gallon
12 inches in a foot
2000 pounds in a ton

These numbers seem just random. They are! How do kids ever learn it?

Believe me I envy the rest of the world with their easy metric system.

One thing I think we both have wrong is time measurement. 60 this, 24 that? 60 and 24 have no reasoning behind them. And why make a clock that goes around once for a half a day, then goes around again to complete the day? It makes no sense. The should be something like 1000 minutes in a day; one day would be a kilominute, and the day would be broken down in powers of 10. Apply the metric system to time. Make sense?

Also I think the whole world should always be on the same time. None of this time zone stuff. If I want to go to work at 11:00 and you want to go at 17:00 because that's when your sunrise is, so be it. We can live with that. But when it's 00:00 here or there, it's 00:00 everywhere in the world.

Thanks for listening to my rant. . .

Last edited:
Back