Corrosion on exhaust header

bobk100

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi all.

Done the deed and bought a 2012 700X

Super condition - but - the exaust header to muffler metalwork is corroded - sound but corroded.

Any ideas how to smarten this item up? What's the options?

Cheers.

670cc

Super Moderator
Staff member
Super Mods
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
A photo of the exhaust would help people decide if its normal or if it needs attention.

Janus

Reaction score
Visit site
I have mild corrosion on my exhaust. It just kinda happened I guess, only time she got parked in the rain was while I was at work.

On the other hand, I have ridden thousands of miles in the rain. A few times it rained so hard that water got through my (closed) helmet vents.

I just view it as part of the character. I'm not gonna be selling it or showing it, so the blemishes are for discerning, appreciative eyes only.

TacomaJD

Reaction score
Visit site
My opinion is a black header looks goofy and sticks out like a sore thumb on a bike that has a somewhat exposed header. Be different on a tough looking cruiser or something, but I don't think it would look right black on an NC regardless.

Griff

Reaction score
Visit site
Afaik the header is stainless. Furthermore it contains the cat and gets extremely hot. As such the "corrosion" that You are seeing is probably more heat discolouration and burnt on dirt. I suggest cleaning with some metal cleaning paste and a small stiff brush to see if that can make a difference first.