• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Danmoto muffler mod and internals

Lou Wambsganss

Elite Member
Reaction score
Visit site
Well, the wife and kids are out of state, so I have time to do stuff for a few days. Something that I've been thinking about is modding my Danmoto Jisu muffler to make it smaller. The shape isn't a simple circular tube like some, but it is still the same basic design. The endcaps are just riveted on. I did my cutting on the forward (inlet) end, since that cutline is perpendicular to the long axis of the muffler body. The outlet endcap is at an angle. It could certainly still be cut there as well, but I wanted this to be as quick and simple as possible.

First, the rivets must be removed. They are 3/16" stainless steel originally, so they should be drilled out with (obviously) a 3/16" drill, or a #10 or #11 drill. Once the head is almost drilled off, they punch out easily. Once all rivet shanks are punched out of the holes, use a flat punch or chisel to gently tap the endcap off. The inner perforated tube is spot welded to both endcaps, but the welds broke off easily for me. I didn't even have to drill or cut them. This is what you will see as it comes apart. It's just a basic fiberglass batting. Nothing fancy.

20150401_173000.jpg

20150401_173115.jpg

Something I noticed once it was all open was that there is a metal screen "sock" over the inner perforated tube. I'm guessing this sock is to help prevent the fiberglass batting from slowly getting blown out the perforations, which would lead to more noise over time. My muffler is exactly one year old, and the sock had started to disintegrate at the inlet side. So I just removed it. Maybe I'll lose by fiberglass batting more quickly, but now that I've had the muffler open once, it will be easier to do again if I want to replace the batting.

20150401_173058.jpg

As for the mod, I wanted to make the muffler shorter. I figure that they put this same muffler on bikes that move a LOT more air than ours, so reducing the volume wouldn't hurt. I used a 3" wide masking tape as a cutting guide. Here is what was removed from the shell and inner tube.

20150401_175707.jpg

To reinstall, I just used 3/16" aluminum pop rivets. The original rivets were steel, but you basically can't pull those with hand tools. You need a pneumatic/hydraulic puller. I'll keep an eye on the aluminum rivets to make sure they don't work loose or crack, but I doubt it will be an issue, especially with the now lighter and shorter muffler. There is no noticeable change in noise at all after cutting the muffler down. EDIT: I did put the baffle back in. Still a little too much bark without it for nighttime neighborhood driving.

Before:

20140306_105433.jpg

And After:

20150401_233350.jpg

Last edited:
The Danmoto sounds the same long or short. If you are wondering how the Danmoto sounds overall, here's a link to a video I made a while back:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EIBhRrmcbq0

Lou - thanks for the idea and video.

I'd like to do something similar for the same reasons ('lil more sound, round can on a stealth bike looks odd and doesn't deflect radar as well ;). However, I also have the center stand. You mentioned (5:12 into the video) you made a custom bracket for the center stand. Can you elaborate and perhaps post a pic? I'm not as mechanically seasoned and would like to make sure this is doable before I make the purchase. Thanks for the recipe.

I have a Danmoto Jisu I'd like to get rid of for relatively short money if anyone wants to experiment with this project. Bought it, tried it for a day and didn't really care for it. I will probably put it out on the sale site and/or EBay soon, but if someone want it for this project, let me know.

Installed!

I have a Danmoto Jisu I'd like to get rid of for relatively short money if anyone wants to experiment with this project. Bought it, tried it for a day and didn't really care for it. I will probably put it out on the sale site and/or EBay soon, but if someone want it for this project, let me know.
IMG_2584.jpg

Attached bduffey's Dan Moto Jisu this past weekend. Suits me just fine. Not too loud, but loud enough. Fits design of NC to my liking. Thanks Bill! +1 for NC community.

I have the exact same bike. Same muffler, same color, just the same.
SOmething that can't be seen : I have a decat mid-pipe. Makes it sound different....

New mod to the Danmoto.

The instructions specifically state to only put the baffle in the inlet side of the muffler. Just to see what would happen, I put it in the outlet side a few days ago and I like it better this way. Now the volume of the muffler body is in front of the baffle, so it seems to do a better job of reducing the resonance. The overall db level is probably about the same as before, but it just seems like it is less intrusive in my helmet while riding around town.

I will probably put a set screw or something on it to keep it from accidentally falling out while riding.

20150531_193005.jpg

Back