• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Drive chain maintenance

Beemerphile

#1 Elite
Elite Member
Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
This is a dirty chore that gets done wrong more often than right - probably because it is a dirty chore. But, on the chance that some may not know the proper techniques, and since I was due one anyway, I decided to document it. If it is too basic, carry on.

OK, Honda. Come across with the centerstand (or mainstand as they say in some places). Honda told my dealer the stand was "FRD" which means Future Release Date. Most likely in November. Till then you have to fashion a way to get the rear wheel airborne. You can use a race stand or prop it up with a stick or whatever you've got. Just make sure it is stable. I use a maintenance lift with the front wheel strapped in a wheel chock and the rear lifted by a bottle jack.
DSC00478.jpg
Pick your poison for what to use. There are two separate tasks - clean and lubricate. The best I have found are DuPont Motorcycle Degreaser and Maxima Chain Wax respectively. Make sure that both products say specifically "safe for o-ring chains" on the container. There are hundreds of options with their adherents. I won't try to defend that mine is best, only that I am satisfied with it. The degreaser works quickly and well and does not require rinsing. The chain wax is much cleaner and doesn't hold dirt like the tacky lubes. You can see from the starting picture that my chain has an even red dirt coating bound up in the sticky lube that came on the bike. I am a poor boy who lives at the end of a dirt road. I find that chain wax does not attract the road gunk and the chain stays cleaner longer.

I take off the front cover every time I clean and adjust my chain because it is easier to keep it clean than to let it get out of control. Lots of junk gets thrown over the top edge as the chain turns on the sprocket and it will eventually fill up. On dirt bikes we used to just take them off, but this is a clean gentlemanly motorcycle and it deserves a proper cover. Additionally, there is a very well designed metal chain retainer within the cover that serves to feed the chain through if it were to break rather than letting it bunch up on the countershaft and crack the engine case. This is a very important little strip of metal! After the chain is clean, it is time to adjust the slack. I use a Motion Pro 08-0048 chain alignment gauge to make sure that the rear wheel is properly aligned. The little marks on the side of the swingarm are totally useless.
DSC00482.jpg
The easiest way that I have found to gauge chain deflection is to pull the chain down firmly with a tape measure and index the tape on some even number. Here I am using 2 inches as the lower point. Holding the tape measure in a steady position, lift the chain up with your free hand and notice the new tape reading. This gives you the full range of deflection. In this case, the correct 1-3/8". Amazing, huh? Actually, I had already taken the slack out when I shot this.
DSC00484.jpgDSC00485.jpg
Once the proper slack is obtained and the chain is aligned it is time to cinch the adjustment bolts and tighten the axle. This motorcycle has pull type chain adjustment (with nuts) rather than push type adjustment (with jack bolts). If the adjusters are loose, you will never know whether your chain is aligned. The cool trick for making sure that the axle is bearing on the adjustment studs is to trap an old screwdriver handle between the chain and the bottom of the sprocket and push the tire forward until the screwdriver handle is jammed. This will seat the axle against the studs and you can get an accurate reading. It is also helpful to do this when you are first tightening the axle bolt to be sure the axle is cinched where you want it. Don't use your favorite screwdriver as it will scar it a bit. Also don't use anything hard as it may damage the chain.
DSC00487.jpg
With the axle seated in position, lightly contact the 14mm adjustment nuts on the studs and then tighten the 12mm jam nuts while holding the 14mm nuts in position. Then, also with the axle seated in position, make an initial tightening of the axle bolt nut. Use a torque wrench to set the rear axle nut torque to 98 N-m (72 ft.-lb.). Re-check that the chain is still centered and that the slack is still correct.

Now it is time to lube the chain. Most chain lubes do better applied to a warm chain. Most instructions say to ride the bike to warm it before lubing it. In my case (poor man, dirt road) I'd rather not do that. So, I dry the chain with towels and set my digital hot air gun to a low temperature like 250 degrees F (120 degrees C) and spin the chain by hand holding the hot air gun in position. When the chain is warm to the touch, I am ready to apply the chain wax. Contrary to its name, the chain wax is quite liquid as applied. It hardens some over the 15 minutes or so following application. Wait at least that long before you ride.

I hope there was something useful here. If not, let me know and I will shut up.

Last edited:
Hi Lee (is that your name?)
Questions:
1. I do not understand the slack bit. I was taught to measure the slack while a rider is sitting on the bike.

2. What is that bit about putting a screwdriver through? What's that do? Sorry I am a bit thick in the skull, don't quite get it. Does this "lockup" the sprocket while you tighten the bolts?

~Joe

PS: I am even more cheapo (years back). I used kerosene to wash the chain and then airdry and the lube.
PPS: I had also a kind of fetish cleaning up the goo....it just feels so good to get it all out and shiny again.

Last edited:
Thanks for posting this, I just bought a Motion Pro 08-0048 now I need a race stand until I can get a center-stand.
Keep post the tips!

Questions:
1. I do not understand the slack bit. I was taught to measure the slack while a rider is sitting on the bike.

2. What is that bit about putting a screwdriver through? What's that do? Sorry I am a bit thick in the skull, don't quite get it. Does this "lockup" the sprocket while you tighten the bolts?

~Joe

PS: I am even more cheapo (years back). I used kerosene to wash the chain and then airdry and the lube.
PPS: I had also a kind of fetish cleaning up the goo....it just feels so good to get it all out and shiny again.

Check this video out Happy. Motion Pro - Quality Motorcycle Cables, Tools and Controls
The screwdriver trick is at 3:20 in the video.

Last edited:
Good stuff.
Personally I'd like to know more about these chain alignment tools. I've never trusted the axle marks, especially on older used bikes.
Just makes sense it insure that the CS sprocket is square with the drive sprocket.

This new Honda makes me wonder why a belt wasn't used? This would make the bike even more reliable and maintenance free. But, that topic probably should have its own thread I suppose.

Just caught the video. Thanks

Last edited:

Yes, it is.

It can be done either way, but the slack dimension changes. The Honda manual states to check the slack midway of the bottom with the machine unladen, in neutral, and on the sidestand. There is a different slack specification that they could have given (but did not) for the bike in the position that you describe. That number would probably be less because of suspension sag, but it does not matter because it is a more difficult way to measure it and we don't know the reference number for that position.

Yes, it is.

It can be done either way, but the slack dimension changes. The Honda manual states to check the slack midway of the bottom with the machine unladen, in neutral, and on the sidestand. There is a different slack specification that they could have given (but did not) for the bike in the position that you describe. That number would probably be less because of suspension sag, but it does not matter because it is a more difficult way to measure it and we don't know the reference number for that position.

Thanks Lee,

So one more question: where exactly along the chain should the slack (you said 1-3/8") do you measure? (edit: sorry I just re-read your post, midway you said).
Is that 1inch and 3/8 or between 1 to 3/8 inch?

I do not have the service manual. Or is this written in the user manual?
Is the tolerance written also on the swingarm? I don't want to get to the garage now to look (it's a bit dark).
:D

PS: Thanks Turbo for the video. Crystal clear now.

Last edited:
Thanks Lee,

So one more question: where exactly along the chain should the slack (you said 1-3/8") do you measure? (edit: sorry I just re-read your post, midway you said).
Is that 1inch and 3/8 or between 1 to 3/8 inch?

My swingarm says one and three eighths inches. The service manual says 30-40mm (1.2 to 1.6 inches).

Is the tolerance written also on the swingarm? I don't want to get to the garage now to look (it's a bit dark).

The tolerance is not stated on the swingarm. Just the nominal value.

Honda gives a wide range of adjustment , 30 to 40 mm is optimal but the manual gives up to 60 mm as rideable. As such I don't think it matters much if the slack is measured on the sidestand or with the rear wheel off the ground. The slack varies some as the swing arm moves up and down anyway. Just make sure the minimum of 30 mm is maintained with the wheel off the ground, it will increase as the bike is laden. Of course we don't let it get to 60 mm. Measure the slack at a couple of places between sprockets. I use an old ruler held behind the chain.

Last edited:
My dealer was able to order the center stand from Honda. I had it 2 days later. Not sure why your dealer would not be able to get one.

My dealer was able to order the center stand from Honda. I had it 2 days later. Not sure why your dealer would not be able to get one.

Don't know. He said that unless they were pre-ordered earlier with the bikes that there were none available. After the pre-order, it went future delivery until November and he could not even enter the order with Honda. But, I have ordered one from Web!ke so, we'll see if they can deliver.

Good stuff.
Personally I'd like to know more about these chain alignment tools. I've never trusted the axle marks, especially on older used bikes.
Just makes sense it insure that the CS sprocket is square with the drive sprocket.

This new Honda makes me wonder why a belt wasn't used? This would make the bike even more reliable and maintenance free. But, that topic probably should have its own thread I suppose.

Just caught the video. Thanks

I too have wondered why a belt was not used. I think a belt is relatively maintenance free and far outlasts a chain and sprocket. Maybe cost was prohibitive. I would have paid the difference. Does Honda actually use a belt drive on any of their motorcycles?

I ordered the stand from Web!ike. They say it will arrive in their warehouse on August 23rd. Hope it pans out and thanks for the link.

I ordered the stand from Web!ike. They say it will arrive in their warehouse on August 23rd. Hope it pans out and thanks for the link.

I'm glad to help. I'm very satisfied with the customer support received from Web!ke, BTW

I too have wondered why a belt was not used. I think a belt is relatively maintenance free and far outlasts a chain and sprocket. Maybe cost was prohibitive. I would have paid the difference. Does Honda actually use a belt drive on any of their motorcycles?

LoL...:D
you just answered your own question...

Yes, it is surely a cost issue.

PS: I personally do not like belts....they squeak all the time (esp after water).
Once upon a time, I had an EN400...Kawa.

Happy, the final drive belt is totally different than the belts used to turn pulleys. Final drive belts have grooves that match the cogs on your front and rear cog. Also, a belt will usually not need replacing for 50,000 miles. Only a periodic adjustment.

Back