• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Dropped bike - Upgrades or stock?

MAJikMARCer

Reaction score
Visit site
So a couple weeks ago I dropped my bike turning on sand. Luckily it was low speed and no cars involved, but it scraped up a few items on the right side. Some of the items I'm going to keep with Honda stock parts, but here are some items that were damaged that I'd like your guys advice on:

• Muffler - $400 (another $50 for the cover)
  • Windscreen - $352
  • Seat (front only) - $200
  • Saddlebags - $900 with all hardware

These are the prices (excluding labor) that the dealer gave the insurance company. Assuming that the adjuster approves things, I'm wondering if there are better after market items that are about the same price. I know I need a taller windscreen. I have the tall Honda one and it's just not tall enough. A lot of you guys like the MadStad. It's not too pretty but if it gets the job done...

Is it worth bothering with the saddle bags? I have the stock Honda ones and I don't mind them, but is there a better value going aftermarket?

BTW, none of these items are "broke" just scraped up a bit. The seat got a burn scrape from my boot rubber going across it. I plan to keep these scraped items. I may put them up in the marketplace if anyone is interested. I also plan to get the service manual to try to do some of the work myself and save some of that insurance money for myself. ;) (Damage album)

Marc

Muffler: there should be plenty of take offs from people going aftermarket. I'd think you be able to by a used stock muffler in like new shape.

This is your chance to get a windscreen that works.

As for the stock seat, I may be interested in buying that if you decideb to sell. Another option is you can re over it with the Seat Concepts kit, but that seat fits big tall riders, not smaller ones.

As for saddlebags, if you go with a bag other than stock, you would need to change the mounting system.

Greg

Muffler - Buying a used, like new, one is a good idea. I just did a quick look on ebay, but nothing up there. I checked out some aftermarket ones and they all just make the bike louder. Not really interested in doing that.

Saddlebags - Yea, I'm not keen on changing the mounting system but I'm not opposed to it. I looked at some Givi bags and it looks like the price is a bit more than stock. Not sure if I'm gaining a lot. That's why I'm hoping to gain some insight here. You guys no doubt know more than me.

Muffler: there should be plenty of take offs from people going aftermarket. I'd think you be able to by a used stock muffler in like new shape.

This is your chance to get a windscreen that works.

As for the stock seat, I may be interested in buying that if you decideb to sell. Another option is you can re over it with the Seat Concepts kit, but that seat fits big tall riders, not smaller ones.

As for saddlebags, if you go with a bag other than stock, you would need to change the mounting system.

Greg

I dumped my bike also and creamed the muffler. One of our great motorcycle enthusiast of this forum gave (yes, gave) me his takeoff for just the shipping cost. It was mint condition. So hang in there for more replies, I had 3 others offer their stock take off for the same deal.

Last edited:
Some of the folks on this forum have replaced their stock units. Try buying a used stock unit off of one of the guys on this forum who replaced their stock muffler.0.jpg

SmileyBigEyeOh.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I would like to welcome all you folks to the "haves". Previous to dropping your NC700 you were members of the "have not's". But now you have stepped up and become a full fledged member of the "have dropped your bike group". Welcome aboard, and many more happy scratches!4.jpg

smileycoffee.jpg

00.jpg

Last edited:
I would always opt for upgrades when repairing a dropped bike. I totally redid my Yamaha 550 Seca back in the early 80's after it got messed up in a bad fall.
It came out better than new and I pocketed some of the cash as aftermarket parts are usually quite a bit cheaper than OEM parts.

I wish I had a picture of the before and after... it really looked better, sounded better, performed better and offered better protection. Made me feel a whole lot better about having dropped the bike in the first place once it was done!

smileymoney.jpg

Well was just told by my insurance that the $4500 bill that the dealer gave them pushed the bike into the 'unrepairable' category. Not exactly sure what that means. I have to wait for my agent to contact me now. No been real thrilled with Allstate on this one.

Not sure if this means I get a new bike or if they are telling me to take a flying leap. Either way, it sucks.

Back