• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Engine Crash Guards: Givi, SW Motech, or Hepco and Becker?

givi_EG.jpg
This is the point, where the engine guard hits the ground. And unfortunatelly the DCT's oil filter cap also get scrathed. Just a little.
Ot the left side I still have no idea, but I don't wanna try :)
Maybe some of these would protect the end of the bike in case of e.
Spool6-8-url.jpg
I didn't find any mounting points on the bike for these, maybe the passengers' rail guard
side1.jpg
The smile face is just for fun, the 2 circles are the possible mounting points.

Could someone just reassure me that SW-MoTech crashbar fits the DCT version?

TwistedThrottle claims it doesn't:
SW-MOTECH Crashbars/Engine Guards (Honda NC700X, NC700S) - TwistedThrottle.com

Whilst SW-M site does not mention anything about it:
Reliable Crashbar for Honda NC 700 S/X, Protection for your motorbike.

Better safe than sorry... so I'm asking now, before the purchase.

I have them on my DCT. I bought them through Twisted Throttle. My mechanic put them on for me though so I cannot report any problems but he didn't complain about them and he usually does when he runs into problems.

The only thing I can guess is that they had a few grumpy customers who couldn't get them to fit and returned them.

using hepco crash bars, hepco skid plate, radikal crash pads n r&g engine cases
all no prob with clearance fits perfectly juz for info

I've fitted givi crash bars on mine but couldn't get the longer bolts as suggested not in the 1.25 pitch but can in 1.75 pitch.
yes the left side is much easier to fit.

I put the Hepco and Becker crash bars on my NC this past weekend. Has anybody else had a problem with the front brake line bracket on the triple clamps hitting the front crash bar mounting bracket, keeping it from turning full left? I am going to have to monkey with the brake line's bracket to fix this. Other than that one issue, the bars look great.

My $.02 - The SW-Motech Crashbars are beefy and pretty easy to install. No contact with any other parts of the bike at full lock. They come with engine bolts so there is no need to go shopping. All in all install took about 45min. Make sure you have a metric hex sz 10 and you will be golden.

I was longing for GIVI but due to dealers mistake (actually mine as I was not checking the goods), I've ended up with SW Motech. Call for farkling was stronger than idea to return SW and wait for GIVI, so 2 hours later ...

image.jpg

:)

I have to admit I wanted SW-MoTech badly, but once I've contacted them and asked for pricing my excitement suddenly dissapeared.

As far as the item price itself is not bad at all (I say it's even very good - 126 EUR) the shipping cost from Germany to Gibraltar (79 EUR) is just purely taking a piss! :mad:

I've ordered a lot of stuff from RevZilla (almost 30kg) and shipping with USPS Express across the pond was $71... that's dollars!!!

79 EUR for shipping within Europe? :confused:

Looking for nearby Givi distributors.

I contacted the importers of the Hepco & Becker crash bars. I also sent them this photo, to show what's happening. Unless Honda did a design change after the bars were designed, I don't know how you miss that. I hope I get back a decent response. It looks like I will have to reroute the brake line behind the forks and come up with a new bracket to hold it in that place. And yes, I see that my bracket is twisted up. I did that initially, so the forks wouldn't pinch the bare brake line. But it restricted the movement too much. So I have removed the bracket and strapped the line to the fork / triple clamp.
2013-06-04 17.22.57.jpg

I bought the GIVI because I liked the way they looked, all tucked in nicely not blowing in the wind. Running lights easy to attach also.

I contacted the importers of the Hepco & Becker crash bars...

Interesting. I think the Honda bars use the same kind of attachment. Maybe it would be a good idea to have a look at the Honda bars instructions to see if they do something with the brake line... Someone posted the instructions for all the OEM accesories here, but I can't find the post

I have to admit I wanted SW-MoTech badly, but once I've contacted them and asked for pricing my excitement suddenly dissapeared.

As far as the item price itself is not bad at all (I say it's even very good - 126 EUR) the shipping cost from Germany to Gibraltar (79 EUR) is just purely taking a piss! :mad:

I've ordered a lot of stuff from RevZilla (almost 30kg) and shipping with USPS Express across the pond was $71... that's dollars!!!

79 EUR for shipping within Europe? :confused:

Looking for nearby Givi distributors.

Ok, promised update:

After short exchange of e-mails (expressing my astonishment and dissatisfaction) I was suddenly given an offer where prices for parts remain same (crashbar for 126 EUR and barkbusters for 109 EUR), but the delivery costs down to 38 EUR (which is less than half what was in the first place).

As this sounded more reasonable I went for it.

With small problems reagrding payment (offer is not for on-line buy, just the money transfer and I was given 8-digit bank sort code whereas in whole Europe it's 6-digit) and huge help from SW-MoTech staff member (Christoph Ivo by the way, extremely helpful guy... done what he could as not all decisions were his to make) I've finally purchased both.

Received the package on Friday... at first glance all looks good (packaging was more than solid).

As mentioned in other thread, I haven't started majority of farkling as I prefere to receive all the stuff and do it in one go.

Once the parts are on the bike I will obviously post some pictures.

I bought both Givi and SW... I like the look of the Givi a lot, but the SW Motech are built much better and stick out a little past the front of the radiator on the NC700X for what appears to be better protection. I currently have the SW's on and will swap them out for the Givi's this weekend to see how I like them. Installing the SW Motech are easy.

The Givi's holes aren't aligned perfectly so you need to put some weight on them to line the holes. Which will put tension on the bolt as it's threaded in, that can lead to cross threading. Then there is a bracket plate that installs around the existing bike frame and the crash bar that if installed without the supplied paper thin padding, can scratch the bike frame.

In a a low speed drop both will do the job. BUT I think the SW-motech will protect better for any "MISHAPS" that should occur in worse conditions.

See my bike here:

Josh's NC700X - Home

-Josh

I have them on my DCT. I bought them through Twisted Throttle. My mechanic put them on for me though so I cannot report any problems but he didn't complain about them and he usually does when he runs into problems.

The only thing I can guess is that they had a few grumpy customers who couldn't get them to fit and returned them.

One more time. Here is the left side of my bike. There is no gear shifter. Those are SM Motech guards. The sticker is still on them. I don't know why Twisted Throttle decided they no longer fit the DCT.

Edit: They were purchased from Twisted Throttle late last summer.

WP_000261.jpg

Last edited:
I sent two emails to twisted throttle and there response says the sw-motech does not fit and it also stated on there web page. So I am going to order it through rockymountainatvmc. There web site states it does fit a Honda nc700x with dct.

Spoke to there online support person at Rocky Mountain and he verified it does fit and it also will work in conjunction with the factory light bar.
Ken

Last edited:
Well... an ultimate (hopefully) proof that THEY DO FIT (took off the stickers as I hate stickers on bike in general, but you can see by the shape they're SW-MoTech:

DSC02095.jpg
DSC02096.jpg
DSC02097.jpg
DSC02101.jpg

Also... SW-MoTech have been notified and now it’s in THEIR best interest to change the information on webpage, as it’s THEM who loose potential customers due to crappy info. :cool:

Back