• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Flat Battery after 420miles

DevilDogMech

Reaction score
Visit site
Hey all,

I just had the privileged of calling my insurance companies road side assistance this morning.

Stopped for gas, went to start off and the bike wouldn't start. got a horrid clicking noise (not starter solenoid noise..... I think) and the gauge cluster flickered....

fiddled with it for a few minuets, searched the forum...... seems NC700X's sometimes need to be placed in gear and rocked to get something aligned with something else.... ok, I can do that.

Place bike in gear, rock back and forth..... neutral..... starter button.... aww crap. Battery was now dead. I got the smallest "umph" out of the battery.

FRACK!!!!!

Tried to push start it.... Guess what? With a FI Motor, you need battery power to run the computer and the FI..... FML.

So, I called the road rescue... guy shows up. I had the panel open and battery exposed..... Guess what? The jumper cable jaws couldn't grab onto the terminals..... So the Road Rescue guy and I are searching google, trying to figure this out.... I break down and call the dealer! (You know I'm desperate!). Literally, as soon as the guy gets on the phone, I had an epiphany! Undo the rubber strap and pull the battery 2" out its pocket... Problem Solved!

Yes, dear readers..... I AM AN IDIOT!

Now I'm sure, we are all dumber for having read this.

http://nc700-forum.com/forum/images/smilies/cool.png

Reminds me to carry a SAE to terminal rings jumper for my frunk's SAE pigtail so there's something easy to clip jumper cables to without opening anything up ; }

I am ordering a power pack as I write this. It comes with pretty small alligator clips.
I have an ASE plug into the frunk for recharging, but I doubt the wires are thick enough for a jump start amperage.

I have an outside accessible SAE plug on my bike just for battery charging but I seriously wonder if the wire gauge and terminals are sufficient for a jump start. Those wires are 12 gauge at the very most and still tiny compared to the normal battery cables that run all the way to the starter motor.

, I had an epiphany! Undo the rubber strap and pull the battery 2" out its pocket... Problem Solved!

Yes, dear readers..... I AM AN IDIOT!

Now I'm sure, we are all dumber for having read this.
First time I had a flat it took me way too long thinking through options to remember I had a plug kit I had been carrying for 5 years. Glad I had it and have used it twice since.

I have this attached for my XP1 to jump start my bike.

That is the right way to go. The SAE connectors don't have enough ampacity for starting currents. The EC5 connector on the XP1 harness can carry 120 amps continuous with 10 gauge wire. More than that for short periods. Also, the XP1 harness has a diode pair in it for protection. You DO NOT want an accidental short with a lithium ion battery pack.

By the way, the "little" alligators are still too large to fit the NC without removing the battery strap.

I was stuck the same way a while back and had to call AAA.
The driver used a 3/8" x 4" brass bolt for his positive clamp to grab on to, which he just held against the battery + terminal.
The negative jumper was clamped to the frame.
I now carry such a bolt in the frunk at all times.

Back