• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Fork Oil question, Cold weather stiffness

3rdgeargrndrr

Reaction score
Visit site
So, Im thinking of switching my fork oil to a slightly thinner oil, getting harsh rebounding on my Honda NC700X recently.
Stock oil is Honda 10W, and Im thinking of just replacing 1/4 - 1/2 of the fork oil with a 7w and just bought a jug of Maxima.
Ive been looking up the viscosities and am surprised to learn that 10w viscosities could be near 200cST at 0C, but drops to ~35at 40C with Regular Honda 10W.
I think the rebound problem is due to the colder weather, as rebound and stiffness was fine when the temps were 90-100.
I do understand the stock fork setup on the NC700 is a cheap setup to begin with,and Im not looking to upgrade .
So, is it even worthwhile to experiment with the lighter weight oil or will the damping still be stiff due to the weather?
Has anyone went lighter and had good results in colder and warmer weather?

FYI, this is my first year of riding, and learning all that I can, in the time I can make

I always attribute some of the harshness of these forks to stick-tion from the seals. On small bumps the forks won't even move sometimes. I wonder if the seals stiffen up further in cold weather.

Last edited:
Appreciate the input, I did read the threads aforementioned first page, but didnt go much beyond that. Im pondering substituting in some ATF off the top for a trial run and if it works out ok, pulling and cleaning the forks and doing the whole change

I used a lighter weight Amsoil fork oil, there two or three pages talking about using different oils and different weights at the end of that thread

Back