• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Funny smell after spill

He mentioned for example that on inspection that he may find a bent triple crown (which would be bad for me).

Bent triples can often be straightened depending on degree. Too early to panic. If he is a good mechanic he will know what to check - not to mention that he will have the advantage of having actually seen it.

Seems pretty amazing for so much apparent damage resulting from the bars hitting the ground at a low speed accident. I think I will have to revise my speed estimate at perhaps 30 miles a hour. That would explain how dramatic of a fall it felt like.

One piece of good news for me it it is now four weeks post accident and the rib fracture is almost unnoticeable. I rolled my car two years ago and those rib fractures took a full year to heal. This one thankfully must have been the most mild of fractures. Easy to get in and out of bed now - which for those who have never enjoyed a rib fracture is really hard, as Ivan be sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Seems pretty amazing for so much apparent damage resulting from the bars hitting the ground at a low speed accident. I think I will have to revise my speed estimate at perhaps 30 miles a hour. That would explain how dramatic of a fall it felt like.

One piece of good news for me it it is now four weeks post accident and the rib fracture is almost unnoticeable. I rolled my car two years ago and those rib fractures took a full year to heal. This one thankfully must have been the most mild of fractures. Easy to get in and out of bed now - which for those who have never enjoyed a rib fracture is really hard, as Ivan be sleep.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Sometimes it just is what it is, to quote a particularly awful phrase, heh heh

I've had lots of faster wipe outs where all manner of stuff got bent, but simply put a boot on the side of the bike while yanking the bars back into shape, smacking the tire into a wall to get the forks untwisted, slamming a 2x4 into a bracket to get a sensor close enough to original spec to work again and ride away all hunky dory with no harm no foul.

Other times, a simple no speed flop and a banjo fitting gets sheared off the master cylinder, or a switch pod gets punched through the side of the fuel tank, or the footpegs get snapped off and so on, and you are laying there clutching a limb in agony, wishing the day hadn't started, lol

So a followup: I went to the mechanic 20 miles away. From my perspective it appeared that the bars and the top of the triple crown was 25 degrees out of whack. My still recent spill and damp roads and imagination made turns and braking feel a bit scary and wobbly.

The mechanic was great with a very large shop, 30 plus years working on bikes, and Honda certified. He first said the forks were straight and the bars were bent! He then said the forks were just a smidge out of alignment, kicked the front tire three times, went for a short ride, and made a final kick and declared them spot on (and no damage to the triple crown). He bent the bars back into place, adjusted my chain, (all in about 15 minutes) spent the next hour talking about bikes, cars, and hunting and charged me $20.

With the bars straight and the roads drier, the ride home was much more confident. Happy!

Despite different subjective handling out and back, the fact that everything was close explains the straight handling hands off and the freely moving suspension.

Thanks for the very welcome comments and support everyone!

Last edited:
With the bars straight and the roads drier, the ride home was much more confident. Happy!

Despite different subjective handling out and back, the fact that everything was close explains the straight handling hands off and the freely moving suspension.

Thanks for the very welcome comments and support everyone!

Glad to hear that your issue was not that major. Also great to know that you are not "Gun Shy" and got back on the bike... :eek:

Back