• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Gas Mileage

TN Thunder

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I made a nice from from my house in Seymour,TN to Asheville, NC, down the Blue Ridge Parkway to its southern end and across the mountains to Gatlinburg, TN and on to Seymour. Lots of hills, lots of curves and crossed a couple of mountains. Fifteen bikes all total. Checked first tank and got a tad over 84mpg, checked second tank this morning and got a tad over 86mpg. Checked figures 3 times and came up the same. I filled the tank up to the lip each time. Hard to believe it myself. Worst mpg was when I purchased it and rode it back to TN. I was riding it hard with most of the miles on the interstate. Lowest mpg was little over 54 and averaged 61.7 for the 531 mile trip. Bike had 1565 miles on it when bought and now has over 3200. Only had it a few weeks. I now have a Puig Touring windscreen, H&B saddlebags, Grip Puppies on handlebars, and Kuryakan highway pegs to ease the knees. I guess next will be a John Deere Tractor seat for riding comfort. I ran with the big guys, stayed with them highway and mountains and beat their mpg by 30 miles per gallon. Great little bike.

I need to learn how to upload pictures to this forum from my computer files.

Attachments

• DSCN0345.JPG
    DSCN0345.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN0346.JPG
    DSCN0346.JPG
    90 KB · Views: 300
  • DSCN0347.jpg
    DSCN0347.jpg
    25.5 KB · Views: 282
  • DSCN0348.jpg
    DSCN0348.jpg
    20.7 KB · Views: 269
That's really cool, nice route and super milage. I was starting to think I was doing something wrong because I break 80 mpg very often and low milage is bottom 70's for me when I ride hot in 3rd and 4th a lot. I do mostly Vermont back roads and gravel so my bike doesn't ever see 6th gear or 70 mph. I think these bikes were made for Blue Ridge and Vermont type riding. You must experience similar rides, where you are out for 3 hours and never had a cage in front or behind you. Being retired and riding during the week helps.

I also got 80+mpg when I did the Natchez Trace Parkway last year. While not the best ride for speed or curves, the scenery,history and having the 444 miles mostly to your self is hard to beat.

Natchez-Trace-Parkway-918x689.jpg

A lot of rides here in E. TN is 3re, 4th and 5th. But I'm learning that if it is flat and not really tight turns I can drop it into 6th. That's where the gas saver is.

I have ridden the trace on MC from south to north twice, vehicle towing a travel trailer from north to south and south to north., lone vehicle both ways and in a motorhome south to north. It is not a speed road with its low speed limit but Spring and Fall it is a pretty run. Like riding the Blue Ridge Parkway, it's not the fastest route but one of the prettiest anytime of the year.

I also got 80+mpg when I did the Natchez Trace Parkway last year. While not the best ride for speed or curves, the scenery,history and having the 444 miles mostly to your self is hard to beat.

View attachment 30684
I rode the Trace last week for the 340 or so miles from Madison, MS to Nashville...not on a bike but in the Miata.

We got 32 mpg at pretty much a steady 59 mph. I know the limit is 50 but my Mississippi-traveling salesman brother in law said the park rangers will give you 60 but not a mph more. We passed a couple of cars and one passed us in that 345 miles. That was a great day. Lots of shade allowed top-down driving despite summer temperatures. We saw lots of deer though even in the day time. We also spent time in the TN, NC, and GA mountains.

I got 77.5 mpg on the BRP once on a 100 mile section going south ending at Meadows of Dan, VA. That was like 35 to 55 mph depending. If you ride a NC700X at 40-45 mph it it will return over 80 all day long, more if you don't jack up the frontal area with a big windshield and hand guards.

Your riding partner looks like the only thing she saw was Eyelid UFOs. I did change the factory windscreen to a Puig Touring to keep the bugs and rocks off as well as stop the bobbing head action. Still keeps me cool in summer. North FL, could be Jacksonville to Pensacola or places in between. Enjoy your trip.

Your riding partner looks like the only thing she saw was Eyelid UFOs. I did change the factory windscreen to a Puig Touring to keep the bugs and rocks off as well as stop the bobbing head action. Still keeps me cool in summer. North FL, could be Jacksonville to Pensacola or places in between. Enjoy your trip.
She only slept a few mile markers until the Holly Hill rest stop some distance north of the reservoir. I live in Jacksonville.

I have a cousin that lives there somewhere. I've never been to his house. I was stationed for 3 wks. at the Naval base there. Dated a girl that I knew that lived at Green Cove Springs, FL Was then shipped home for 2 weeks and then to NAS Memphis for school. I was stationed at NAS NOLA.

Back