• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hand guards or wind guards that mount to mirror bolt?

AP1

Reaction score
Visit site
Now that cold weather is here in the Northwest (Washington state), my hands are talking to me. With temperatures in the 30's-40's, I'm wanting a bit more wind protection than my windproof gloves are giving me. So, I'm exploring wind guards for my NC700X DCT (I'm not looking for crash protection that typical hand guards are designed for).

My reference point for wind guards are the simple guards that are on my Honda XR250L. They're semi-rigid plastic and mount to the brake and clutch lever bolts.

XR250L-handguard.JPG

Sorry, I don't have an image of how they're mounted.

Anyway, I've looked all over the web for simple wind guards for the DCT, but I haven't found any that look like they mount easily. Most of the ones I've seen are full-on hand guards, like Barkbuster and some of the other brands. I also read lots of posts on this forum, but didn't quite see what I'm looking for.

I was hoping to find some that might even mount to the mirror bolts since they're identical on both sides -- unlike mounting to the handlebar with the parking brake on the left and the front brake line on the right.

Recommendations? Ideas?

If nothing else, I'd appreciate recommendations for solid wind guards (not the mitts that fit over the handlebar), not matter how they mount.

Thanks in advance

Maybe look into Kawasaki KLR650, Suzuki DR350/650 type guards?

Also Suzuki 650 and 1000 VStrom style. They are a little bit more complex, with a plastic U shape that fits into a matching groove on their bar end weights, but something to think about anyway.

I have the Kijima wind guards on my bike. Only caveat is that without risers installed they bump the frunk at full lock. For some reason they ship with the bolts not tightened firmly, so they need to be snugged up before installation or they will vibrate apart in minutes.

Just curious...will the traditional full on hand guards not work on the DCT? There are many different styles. I have the Barkbusters on my manual model. Super easy to mount and provide sufficient wind protection and they look great.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons a lot of the brushguards/windguards have the second mounting point on the outside of the handle bar is that at higher speeds some of the single point mounted ones can be blown in far enough to press on your brake/clutch lever.(I know you don't have a clutch lever.) I personally have seen this happen on a motorcycle.

Just curious...will the traditional full on hand guards not work on the DCT? There are many different styles. I have the Barkbusters on my manual model. Super easy to mount and provide sufficient wind protection and they look great.

My understanding is that quite a few full-on hand guards do fit on the DCT. I was just trying to avoid the style that required mounting to the bar end. If I don't find any that work well as a single-point mount, I'll consider guards like the Barkbusters.

Keep in mind that one of the reasons a lot of the brushguards/windguards have the second mounting point on the outside of the handle bar is that at higher speeds some of the single point mounted ones can be blown in far enough to press on your brake/clutch lever.(I know you don't have a clutch lever.) I personally have seen this happen on a motorcycle.

I totally understand. The factory guards on my XR250L have a built-in stopper that prevents the guard from pushing in toward the levers. It's a great, simple design. I just haven't seen any like that for the NC.

You might try National Cycle. They don't list a specific hand guard for the NC700, but I have seen some mirror mounted hand guards on at CTX700, and I believe the mirror mounts are the same. They looked fairly sturdy. The only caveat might be that they are clear.

I have the PowerMadds. They only connect at one point and don't interfere with the parking brake. I have never noticed them flexing at 70mph. I have risers so I can't say whether they will hit the frunk without them although as you can see the length of extension is adjustable. I haven't had them shake loose yet but I don't ride off-road either.

P1030780adj.jpgP1030781adj.jpg

The mount and the guard are separate products and you need both. The extensions are an option which I thought were worth the little extra they cost.

I check these for tightness before every ride. So far they have never needed tightening. If I were off-roading I probably would put on some loctite after I was sure I had the positioning correct. The guards have a removable panel that exposes a screen for summer use but I never remove it.

Amazon.com: PowerMadd 34269 Trail Star/Star Series Black Tri-Mount Kit: Automotive
http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B000OO4SWI/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
Amazon.com: PowerMadd 34210 Star Series Black Handguard: Automotive

Also Suzuki 650 and 1000 VStrom style. They are a little bit more complex, with a plastic U shape that fits into a matching groove on their bar end weights, but something to think about anyway.

I have a set of Vstrom 1000 handguards that I adapted for use on my FJR1300 and they work great to block that cold, rainy Seattle weather from my hands. Before mounting them for this winter season, I looked at the possibility of mounting a set on the NC700 but they are shaped/sized all wrong. My wife is the main NC700 rider and won't ride in the cold, so there's not much priority in mounting handguards anyway. ;)

Just get some Bark busters Storm hand guards, They make them for the DCT version and you don't have to remove the bar end weights. I used the stock bolt instead of ripping the weights out of the bars.
2fb3c5143104a11dbc3e5535e233a6a1.jpg
584c1df35f9876f781e2cd00557a8ad7.jpg
27c65b7e9c7c0d3220c47d020dc61e7e.jpg

There was the set of Aprilia Shiver hand guards that should fit the DCT and with mods the manual. We had a thread on those earlier this year - http://nc700-forum.com/forum/nc700-mods/5319-new-source-handguards-post84841.html#post84841 They attach to the mirror and to the bar end. I have a set of these that I bought and found they wouldn't fit the manual NC without mods. I ended up going with the Barkbusters instead. I'd be willing to part with my Shiver hand guards.

I have Trackside - $20. I peeled off the Trackside logo and put black electrical tape over the holes for the winter.
I have 2" Rox Risers and they don't hit my Puig windscreen.
They don't hit the hand controls no matter how fast I go.
I got them for the same reason as you - wind protection - a bonus is rock and bumblebee protection. A bumblebee hit my hand going 75 mph. Those suckers HURT!
http://www.cyclegear.com/TRACKSIDE-...pC8pBTVkufaB8x8jtKJu0cxkefpNCRgE8saAkza8P8HAQ

I also have the $20 Trackside hand guards. If all you want is wind, rock and bug protection, they are great.

Back