• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Handguards Barkbusters or SW-Motech?

belrix

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Yet another question from me!

I have recently added a Madstad 20" Windscreen to my NC700x and thinking handguards are next, but need help deciding between Barkbusters and SW-Motech Kobra.

I am intrigued by the SW-Motech Kobra handguards because of the ability to add/remove additional protection and the option to add turn signals. The Barkbusters are nice because they are cheaper and seem to be the standard.

Any thoughts and/or feedback is greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

bw

I have the Barkbusters on mine but looking at the SW Motech, I think they looks better (SW Motech). And I can also add that I'm never totally happy with what I buy :p

make sure the handguards fit since you have the madstad adjustable shield.
Find out if you need rox risers or not.

SW-MOTECH's guards are made by Barkbusters. So, mechanically they are identical. Differences are Kobras have the actual guards are powder coated black instead of the bare aluminum. As you said you can easily add turn signals to the Kobras. The Barkbusters VPS also offer the adjustable shields like the Kobras but overall are smaller and offer less wind protection than the Kobras. The Barkbusters Storms offer roughly the same amount of wind protection as the Kobras but without the easy adjustability.

For me it boiled down to appearance. The Kobras just fit the NC better than either the VPS or Storm plastics from Barkbusters. The black powder coat on the guards is just the icing on the cake.

Barkbusters... Very happy with them. Installation was easier than I thought.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.8 KB · Views: 1,636
  • image.jpg
    image.jpg
    91.1 KB · Views: 2,401
I have the cheap cycle gear hand guards on but like the look of the barkbusters.

Hey Brillot2000, do you know the part # for your Barkbusters? They definitely have been prove in a fall!

Last edited:
Thanks for all the replies. The Barkbusters VPS seem to be the best option, I didn't know they came with extra wind protectorate!

Thinking about a set of Rox risers any way

Bw

I have the Cycle Gear Trackside variety. They are perhaps not the prettiest, buy they're only $50, strong, the hardware is very good, and the brand name stickers peel off very easily. I'm not a fan of adorning my machine with company's names and advertising for them for free.

I have the Cycle Gear Trackside variety. They are perhaps not the prettiest, buy they're only $50, strong, the hardware is very good, and the brand name stickers peel off very easily. I'm not a fan of adorning my machine with company's names and advertising for them for free.

You bought the better ones. I have the $20 trackside ones and they work well.

I think the angular shape of the Kobras match the lines of the NC better than the rounded barkbusters, that's why I bought them. :)

Thanks for all the replies. The Barkbusters VPS seem to be the best option, I didn't know they came with extra wind protectorate!

Thinking about a set of Rox risers any way

Bw

Just remember on the VPS (and the Kobras) the adjustable extensions are additional parts you have to purchase separately. If you go with the VPS I highly recommend you also get the Supermoto Skidplates Barkbusters supermoto skidplate set (includes left and right), black only - for Jet or VPS plastics - TwistedThrottle.com that extend the protection around the corner of the guards. They take the abuse of a minor drop or slide so the bar doesn't get chewed up like in Brillot's pic.

Just remember on the VPS (and the Kobras) the adjustable extensions are additional parts you have to purchase separately.

Not true with the VPS. From the website for the VPS guards: "Variable Height Wind Deflector Extensions are included to provide extra wind protection."

Barkbusters VPS Handguards for Honda CB500X '13-'14, NC700X, NC700X DCT, Varadero, Crosstourer, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom '04-'14, DL1000 V-Strom '02-'14 & Kawasaki Versys 1000 '12-'14 - TwistedThrottle.com

Not true with the VPS. From the website for the VPS guards: "Variable Height Wind Deflector Extensions are included to provide extra wind protection."

Barkbusters VPS Handguards for Honda CB500X '13-'14, NC700X, NC700X DCT, Varadero, Crosstourer, Suzuki DL650 V-Strom '04-'14, DL1000 V-Strom '02-'14 & Kawasaki Versys 1000 '12-'14 - TwistedThrottle.com

My bust! I've obviously ordered too many sets of hand guards if they're all starting to merge together in my head. I stand corrected!

Just remember on the VPS (and the Kobras) the adjustable extensions are additional parts you have to purchase separately. If you go with the VPS I highly recommend you also get the Supermoto Skidplates Barkbusters supermoto skidplate set (includes left and right), black only - for Jet or VPS plastics - TwistedThrottle.com that extend the protection around the corner of the guards. They take the abuse of a minor drop or slide so the bar doesn't get chewed up like in Brillot's pic.

Please learn from my experiece. I purchased these after this incident and then I polished all the scrapes. I highly recemmend the Barkbusters due to the Heavy Duty Aluminum Bars that is 10 mm (.39") thick.

Attachments

• IMG_3407.jpg
    IMG_3407.jpg
    84.8 KB · Views: 715
  • IMG_3424.jpg
    IMG_3424.jpg
    79.2 KB · Views: 858
Thank you for all the replies and feedback, as a newbie I need all the help I can get!

After reviewing both the VPS and Kobra I am leaning heavily towards the Kobra, I like the shape of the additional wind protection piece.

bw

I totally agree, but then I would.

C27F77EF-95BB-4EAB-95DC-2C168D427583_zps2megdlnr.jpg

11ba8e1a95491e11cc468e71e060e040_zps9b86b118.jpg

0FF01248-F3FF-4F5D-AC2A-2A75CBB81E27_zps4hg3kfyk.jpg

:cool:

Back