• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Helmet !!! We all need one !!! Which do you choose ?!?!

WHAT TYPE OF HELMET DO YOU NORMALLY RIDE WITH ?!?

• FULL FACE

Votes: 57 55.3%
  • OPEN FACE - 3/4

Votes: 7 6.8%
  • HALF HELMET - BRAIN BUCKET

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • MODULAR

Votes: 39 37.9%
  • OFF-ROAD

• NONE

• Total voters
Can you turn that off if you've got a passenger on the back?

Yes, it shuts off automatically. When I start in the morning, I have to press its on/off once to establish wireless operation.
If I DID NOT do that, the light would stay off all day.
Also, I believe rotating it through it's normal states will cause the wireless to shut off.

EVERYONE PLEASE: I almost forgot....

ALSO TELL US IF IT FITS IN THE FRUNK !!!
Go back and edit your post if you want to include whether or not your lid fits in the FRUNK....

Arai profile, sliver (no design). Needed the profile as due to my long oval head would get nasty hot spot on my forehead after a couple of minutes with all other helmets I tried/used. It's a medium and fits snug in the frunk. Pricy but very comfortable and I have no complaints. In addition to the whole hot spot issue, I found modular helmets to be uncomfortably heavy.

EVERYONE PLEASE: I almost forgot....

ALSO TELL US IF IT FITS IN THE FRUNK !!!
Go back and edit your post if you want to include whether or not your lid fits in the FRUNK....

Gmax 54s Modular FITS in the FRUNK..... just barely. (I wear 63mm XL)

and while I do recommend this helmet, I have to credit that nice person who told me about it...

I was looking at GMAX's other modular, the one just below the 54s, and "Mike" somebody told me about the 54s.
I'm grateful to him.

Last edited:
Shoei Qwest. Medium size, hi-viz yellow (my eight year old daughter tells me I look like a school bus), fits in Frunk.

Arai Profile (full-face), XL, fits snugly in the frunk, Snell certified. Need the Profile for my head shape. Anything rounder gives me a headache. I'd really like a modular, but demand Snell certification and require a long oval. There _may_ be such a helmet out now; haven't found the particular make/model locally yet.

Open face scares me... Pretty much just because it opens my face up to the dangers of being s scraped off my head. But honestly, I have never owned one. So I can't comment too much. Only that ir seems to lack the protection and noise reduction of a Full-Face

Wearing an open face helmet should not scare you at all.I have been wearing open face lids for years..I think it keeps you more aware of your surroundings when riding,and as for grinding your face off,,,I,v never heard of anyone having such an incident,and in certain situations full face have disadvantages. I just bought a cheap flip up (I think you call them modular)it suits me really well,,and may invest in a Schubert C3,,,but I still use my open face for local work.... There is a lid call Airoh TR1 that is fully adaptable with removable chin guard,I searched it out in the shops for a fitting but alas the fit for my ead was really crap....check this out Airoh TR1 Motorcycle Helmet - YouTube

Wearing an open face helmet should not scare you at all.I have been wearing open face lids for years..I think it keeps you more aware of your surroundings when riding,and as for grinding your face off,,,I,v never heard of anyone having such an incident, (/QUOTE]

What do you mean, "I think it keeps you more aware of your surroundings"? is this regarding the Tunnel-vision sometimes noticed with a Full-face. I just got the Gmax54 Modular. The field of vision is incredible. With head forward, I can rotate my eyes to 100% periferal vision. Protection of te FUll but the convenience of the 3/4

Two studies that I can think of off hand (sorry no citation - on my phone) both stated that the most frequent rider's first contact with pavement after a crash was on the chin. I've seen too many scuffed helmets on the chin for me to ever believe for one second that open face helmets are safe. My face ain't purdy but its better having all of the parts than not.

I wear a Shoei Multitec and have no complaints. I like being able to open it up when stopped to cool off. The chin piece actually comes down lower than a standard full face helmet. You can't pull it off of your head without opening it first DAMHIK.
Mike

Yeah I believe when you wear full face lids especially when fully kitted out in winter you are fully enclosed from the elements and the road,more so then when in a car. I,m having trouble finding the right words,,the only thing I can say that kind of illustrates my point is to think of those Knights of old in there Armour ,and they cannot see who they are fighting...

Well all I can say is this,,sure I,v seen scuffed helmets ,,and a few cuts and bruises,,,but they count for nothing compared the the broken coller and leg bones...Now my face is pretty and I have always had a open lid,, As I mentioned I got myself a Flip up helmet mainly for the weather protection,and yes it also has a wide chin guard...Bug dr do you ride with the chin piece up? I do!!!! around town anyway,,,,

I NEVER ride with the chin piece up! Also, I don't agree with the assertion that I'm ever closed off from the elements like riding in a car no matter what the weather. The two experiences are quite different.
Mike

I have an HJC CS-R1 (full face) for which I think I paid around $70. I consider it adequate and a bargain. It says DOT on it just like the more expensive models do.

I am having a lot of problems with fogging because I ride to work very early in the dark and frequently in the rain. I like the way the Shoei helmets feel on my head and I am considering a Shoei Quest with the optional pinlock lense setup. The Miltitec looks good too but I'm not sure I want a modular. From what I have read, that seems to be the only way to defeat the fogging.

I also read that the pinlock setup is not recommended for night time riding. Seems like some reflections or double images were mentioned. I wonder if it would be dangerous or just a little distraction. Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any experience with this effect, like how bad is it?

I wear a modular helmet and keep it closed when riding. The way I visualize it if I am flying over the handle bars I am leading with my chin. No judgement, just my personal choice to improve my odds.

I have an HJC CS-R1 (full face) for which I think I paid around $70. I consider it adequate and a bargain. It says DOT on it just like the more expensive models do.

I am having a lot of problems with fogging because I ride to work very early in the dark and frequently in the rain. I like the way the Shoei helmets feel on my head and I am considering a Shoei Quest with the optional pinlock lense setup. The Miltitec looks good too but I'm not sure I want a modular. From what I have read, that seems to be the only way to defeat the fogging.

I also read that the pinlock setup is not recommended for night time riding. Seems like some reflections or double images were mentioned. I wonder if it would be dangerous or just a little distraction. Not to hijack this thread, but does anyone have any experience with this effect, like how bad is it?

I have no problems with double images with my pinlock. Maybe a little halo effect sometimes, but thats about it. Mine stays in all the time. I ride year round and the pinlock has been a big improvement when riding in cold or wet weather.

I don't have any problems with halos or double images with my Pinlocks either,(have them on two helmets, they stay on all the time) but what does bother me, is the top of the Pinlock doesn't go high enough on the visor, so my sight line through the visor is exactly through the top edge of the Pinlock. It's a little distracting. I can tilt my head down and peer over the edge between the top of the Pinlock and the bottom of the helmet opening itself, but it isn't fun to do. Or, I can try to wedge the helmet up further, rotated back on my head as much as comfortable, and look down just below the edge, but that too, feels slightly awkward. Most of the time what I do is slightly open and raise the visor, so that distracting edge is above my normal natural feeling sight line.

Back