• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Honda NT1100

You make an excellent point about your screw and locknut motorcycles never requiring valve clearance adjustments. You also mentioned the BMW being a PITA to adjust, but did the BMW need adjustment or not need adjustment?
Oops...I forgot that...Yes, it needed an adjustment at 16,000 miles (cant remember if it as intake or exhaust though, but one of them had to be replaced and over $100 for a shim kit from BMW-ouch).....dont know at 32,000 miles because that is when I traded it for the NC700x..

I worked in the mc industry from 1972-1989 when screw and nut valve adjustments were the norm and we adjusted lots of valves. Maybe better materials and machining have made it so they don't require adjustment as frequently. That's good, since this is my first screw and nut adjustment bike since my XS 650 Yamahas. Some I had before my last few bikes were shim on top of bucket but for some reason the mfgs got away from that system. I know with shim under bucket my ST 1300 110,000 mi, my FJR 38,500 mi or my CB 1100 63,000 mi, none of them have ever needed a valve adjusted.

I know with Beemers flat twins a supposed selling point was it was a simple job to adjust the valves (screw and locknut). I wonder what BMW uses on their K 1600 and XS 1000 models

There must be SOME reason why almost every mfg uses shim under bucket now? I'm sure someone smarter than me could explain why.
It's also a cost thing,

Its cheaper and simpler to machine and assemble shim-and-bucket heads.

Manufacturing and installing a rocker arm assembly is a few extra steps of precision machining, pressing, aligning, adjusting.

Shim type valve trains are lighter overall and less rotating mass, and *may* then be optimised for less side force on the valve stem, and less adjustment required over time.

So depending on the engineering practices at a company, they might look at the intended audience, the likelihood of sustained high RPM, the skills of the likely mechanic, the price of assembly Labor and the price of tea in China before making a decision.

I believe it's also a way to dodge tax: forcing your dealer network to import overpriced spare parts for years into the future sends more cash to the corporate office, as opposed to the dealer hiring and onselling skilled labour in the destination market and sending a cash remittance to head office, which is taxed way higher.

I believe it's also a way to dodge tax: forcing your dealer network to import overpriced spare parts for years into the future sends more cash to the corporate office, as opposed to the dealer hiring and onselling skilled labour in the destination market and sending a cash remittance to head office, which is taxed way higher.
Not much cash flow from selling a $6.00 USD shim once every 100,000 or 200,000 miles.

Not much cash flow from selling a $6.00 USD shim once every 100,000 or 200,000 miles.
That, and when you get enough, you just swap one shim for another. Hardly a need to buy more once you have a collection of shims.

Reason to choose the NC750 over the NT1100.....$$$$$....NC750x is $8499, the AT is twice the price ($17,199) and the NT1100 probably wont be less than the AT (probably be more)....

On the other hand, the cruiser (Rebel 1100) based on the same drive-train as the Africa Twin and NT1100 starts at $9299 so hopefully it'll be closer to that than a fully loaded AT.

I've heard numbers like $13,999 for the NT 1100

The 21 750 DCT is $ 9399 add factory bags for $1000, factory heated grips for $400, an after market non adjustable windshield for $150 and you are pushing $11,000 and you still wont have cruise control, and have significantly less hp and torque.

Of course you might not need any of that.

Last edited:
Reason to choose the NC750 over the NT1100.....$$$$$....NC750x is $8499, the AT is twice the price ($17,199) and the NT1100 probably wont be less than the AT (probably be more)....
I don't think they could successfully sell this at a point between the Wing and the AT. Too many reasons to choose one or the other if you're that close. I think it was Honda Pro Kevin who wrote a piece on pricing logic for that bike in the USA market. But, I know nothing about how Honda actually decides price points. I just see the end results. You could be spot on.

Wow sure looks wide in that pic, but im still looking forward to seeing one in person
When I switched from my ST1300 to the NC because of the weight, I knew I would miss the comfort and wind protection. Looking at the fairing width of this NT, it makes me wonder if it would be the best compromise given the small difference in weight with the NC.

I hadn't thought much about this bike tbh. However a good friend opined on it the other day suggesting that Honda might be onto a winner with this impending model. Hmmmm.

I have a trusty '16 Strom kitted out with Touratech aluminium boxes, modest Givi top box and Touratech tank bag for my two up long distance touring duties. Its a good bike and the Wife is happy with it. Even fully loaded, which is closer to overloaded with the amount of "stuff" that the Wife brings with Her, that bike is a source of great confidence to me even in the most technical of going in the high Alps and the like. It has never given me an anxious moment and I have little to fault about it. As such any replacement would have to be exceptional.

I am now mildly interested in the NT and hopefully the importers and my dealer will put one on demo to be tried. I like the idea of DCT and Cruise control. However, even without either of those the Strom is still like a comfortable pair of boots or gloves, and would be very hard to part with.

I don't think they could successfully sell this at a point between the Wing and the AT. Too many reasons to choose one or the other if you're that close. I think it was Honda Pro Kevin who wrote a piece on pricing logic for that bike in the USA market. But, I know nothing about how Honda actually decides price points. I just see the end results. You could be spot on.
It is actually already priced in Europe "The manual transmission NT1100 is priced at £11,999 (~$16,535). The DCT equipped model will set you back £12,999 (~$17,915)".....if Honda brings the bike to the USA, dont know if those conversion prices will be accurate; on some bikes, they conversions have been accurate, on some, not so much.....and the bike does come with the following as standard equipment: integrated panniers, heated grips, cruise control, USB and ACC charging sockets, and a center stand. All come as standard equipment.....and these are the accessories Honda is offering:
  • URBAN PACK: Includes a 50L top box with inner bag, comfort backrest, 4.5L tank bag.
  • TOURING PACK: Includes rider/pillion comfort seats, comfort pillion footpegs, and fog lights.
  • VOYAGE PACK: Includes a 50L top box with inner bag, comfort backrest, 4.5L tank bag, rider/pillion comfort seats, comfort pillion footpegs, and fog lights.

It is actually already priced in Europe "The manual transmission NT1100 is priced at £11,999 (~$16,535). The DCT equipped model will set you back £12,999 (~$17,915)".....if Honda brings the bike to the USA, dont know if those conversion prices will be accurate; on some bikes, they conversions have been accurate, on some, not so much.....and the bike does come with the following as standard equipment: integrated panniers, heated grips, cruise control, USB and ACC charging sockets, and a center stand. All come as standard equipment.....and these are the accessories Honda is offering:
  • URBAN PACK: Includes a 50L top box with inner bag, comfort backrest, 4.5L tank bag.
  • TOURING PACK: Includes rider/pillion comfort seats, comfort pillion footpegs, and fog lights.
  • VOYAGE PACK: Includes a 50L top box with inner bag, comfort backrest, 4.5L tank bag, rider/pillion comfort seats, comfort pillion footpegs, and fog lights.
It's not priced in Europe yet, probably not until 11/23.

It is priced in the UK and I'm guessing the prices you quote are from the UK Honda site because of reference to pounds GDB. In the UK the NT1100 is priced less than all the Africa Twin variants, not more.

Love a white motorcycle. Apparently this afternoon on the sunny coast of Spain Honda is releasing the bike to the press. Soon "first ride" reviews will hit the interweb much like the Africa Twin and Goldwing releases.

Dave, I'm curious if you are contemplating adding this one to your fleet. If so, what do you like about it?

Dave, I'm curious if you are contemplating adding this one to your fleet. If so, what do you like about it?
I'm following it with interest but not anticipating having one for a while if ever even if it comes to North America soon. I've stated more than once an 'NC1000X' would be a nice bike to have if it combined the low CG of the 700/750 platform with tractable power in the 100 hp range. The Africa Twin came along in 2016 but is too off road oriented for me. Now this bike looks to be the closest thing to the pipe dream NC1000X that could replace my R1200RT...... but I'm losing altitude with each birthday.

Back