• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Question How can a 1" grip be installed

Dav2ison

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Has anyone here installed a set of 1" hand grips on their machine? I know our bars are 7/8". Is there some way to install a set of 1". I'm having an issue with my hand falling asleep while riding. I found a set of grips that might help that. Is there an adapter available to do this?

I am running these. They are not 1" grips but are certainly larger OD and softer/grippier than your typical grips. The are soft enough that I can basically let go and just my hand resting on the bars acts like 'cruise control' and I did not need to even glue them. At the time of my purchase they were made in USA so that's another plus.

https://www.denniskirk.com/oury/block-pattern-grips-roadblk.p61395.prd/61395.sku

Carpal tunnel can cause your hand to go numb while riding. If that's your problem then grip size, crampbusters, etc. will not fix it. I tried them all without relief. After surgery my hands no longer go numb. It's wonderful. I suffered with it for too many years. Wish I had done it sooner.

I am running these. They are not 1" grips but are certainly larger OD and softer/grippier than your typical grips. The are soft enough that I can basically let go and just my hand resting on the bars acts like 'cruise control' and I did not need to even glue them. At the time of my purchase they were made in USA so that's another plus.

https://www.denniskirk.com/oury/block-pattern-grips-roadblk.p61395.prd/61395.sku
Thanks for the suggestion. I have some grip puppies on order that I'm going to try first.

Carpal tunnel can cause your hand to go numb while riding. If that's your problem then grip size, crampbusters, etc. will not fix it. I tried them all without relief. After surgery my hands no longer go numb. It's wonderful. I suffered with it for too many years. Wish I had done it sooner.
I don't believe I have carpal tunnel as normally my hands are fine. They only go to sleep when I have them high on the steering wheel when driving or twisting on the bike. I've ordered a couple different grips to try out. I've looked at palm assists that wrap around the grip but hope to have better luck with a larger diameter grip. Starting with Grip Puppies first.

First thing I do when I get a new bike- Grip Puppies or the generic equivalent! Isolates vibrations, and makes it much easier for my large hands to control the bike!

First thing I do when I get a new bike- Grip Puppies or the generic equivalent! Isolates vibrations, and makes it much easier for my large hands to control the bike!
In contrast, two used bikes I bought came with grip puppies and the first thing I did was peel them off. I’m glad the stock grips are small, that way people can keep them that way or fatten them with the puppies, if desired.

Has anyone here installed a set of 1" hand grips on their machine? I know our bars are 7/8". Is there some way to install a set of 1". I'm having an issue with my hand falling asleep while riding. I found a set of grips that might help that. Is there an adapter available to do this?
just buy some grip puppy`s..work worders..£10 at the most

I installed the grip puppies. It’s an improvement but not a solution as my hand still goes numb after about an hour of riding. I have other grips with palm rests I may install later.

Have you tried using a cramp buster? I found this helped train me to use a light grip on the throttle, if you're feeling numbness from vibrations through the bars you may be holding on too tight, (death Grip). Next time you're riding, pay attention to how much force you are gripping the throttle with. I found that I started with a light grip but as the ride went on I would apply more force and my hand would go numb and sometimes cramp up. I don't use the Cramp buster anymore as it feels a bit weird on the throttle but it served a purpose by training me to just rest my hand on the grip.

I looked at the cramp buster and others like it but thought it might slip some on the grip. I'll pay more attention to my grip as we ride. When my hand goes numb I simply drop my hand down to get some blood flow and the issue subsides. I also ordered some of the grips below to try. They are 1" bar size so I have some sleeves that will ease install. Got them from Dennis Kirk.

V-Factor

Black Form Factor F2 Ergonomic Grips - 42010​

My hands hurt all the time, whether riding or not. Arthritis! The chiropractor helps quite a bit. The grip puppies helped. I sold my NC700XD because it lacked cruise control and I’ve never been comfortable using throttle locks. I bought the Africa Twin because it had cruise control. I’m selling it now because I’ve had my fun. Back to the point of hands hurting and going numb. I frequently do hand exercises. Riding or not about every 5 - 10 minutes. Weed eaters are also have horrible long term effects on the nerves in your hands. I wear anti vibration gloves. Getting old can be challenging for some of us!

My hands hurt all the time, whether riding or not. Arthritis! The chiropractor helps quite a bit. The grip puppies helped. I sold my NC700XD because it lacked cruise control and I’ve never been comfortable using throttle locks. I bought the Africa Twin because it had cruise control. I’m selling it now because I’ve had my fun. Back to the point of hands hurting and going numb. I frequently do hand exercises. Riding or not about every 5 - 10 minutes. Weed eaters are also have horrible long term effects on the nerves in your hands. I wear anti vibration gloves. Getting old can be challenging for some of us!
I know what you say about getting old. Experiencing it! Took me a year to get my new NC so I'll figure it out. I now have the MadStad Screen, and the DCT. Loving both.

Back