• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Hyperlites install and locked bolt

GregC

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Have been trying to get to the brake light to install a set of hyperlites, and cannot get that one large bolt in the middle of the under fender to break loose. The nut and the bolt appear to be rotating together (i.e., the nut is locked). The other end of the bolt is behind the tail light module to I can't see a way to grab the bolt. Any ideas?

From what I remember of installing P3 LEDs you can't take that bolt out until you have the lens off the mount point. You can take the rear apart without removing that bolt.

could you describe how to get the lens off the mounting point? I removed the two silver bolts on each side, loosening the tail light assembly, but that's all I could do without removing that damned bolt. managed to thread the hyperlites wires through the bit of wiggle room created by removing the two bolts, but it would be nice to know how to get the tail light off if that bolt cannot be removed from the outside.

thanks in advance!

I removed the entire tail assembly so I could flip it around and see if from all sides. I'll take a look at my service manual and see where the hidden screws are.

I removed the entire tail assembly so I could flip it around and see if from all sides. I'll take a look at my service manual and see where the hidden screws are.

To remove the entire assembly, I think there are only three fasteners - two hex bolts up from the bottom and one JIC (not a Phillips!) at a 45 degree angle inside the fender. They are generally stuck tight. Use a right-fitting bit and a ratchet instead of a handled driver. "Right-fitting" means a flat tipped hex key instead of a ball-end and a JIC driver bit instead of a Phillips. Loosen the one at 45 degrees first so you don't distort the assembly when you are trying to break it loose. These would not be spinning as I remember because I think they are threaded into a metal shell within the assembly and not into nuts.

I am doing this from memory, so someone correct me if I have mis-remembered the fastener heads. The "right-fitting" guidance is good anywhere at anytime on the bike with body fasteners. Many of the shallow hex head bolts have been reported stripped and a couple of the JIC screws that I am aware of.

Sorry for the level of uncertainty, but it has been a while and I am old.

Back