• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I don't like the stock tires

Blackrider

Reaction score
Visit site
I find the stock tires way to slippy. I'm not ever doing anything strange with the
throttle or anything. Just normal riding.

If there is anything just slightly slippery on the road the back wheel seems to slip.

I only have 1600 miles on them but I can't wait to change them to Pilot 3's or
something better.

I find the stock tires way to slippy. I'm not ever doing anything strange with the
throttle or anything. Just normal riding.

If there is anything just slightly slippery on the road the back wheel seems to slip.

I only have 1600 miles on them but I can't wait to change them to Pilot 3's or
something better.

If you are talking about Metzelers I agree with you. I too will be changing to another brand ( possibly Michelin) when they are worn out. However running any back tyre at 42psi without a pillion is always going to result in a skittish rear end on this bike. At that pressure solo, not enough heat is generated in the tyre. I run mine at 38psi and that makes quite a difference.

If you are talking about Metzelers I agree with you. I too will be changing to another brand ( possibly Michelin) when they are worn out. However running any back tyre at 42psi without a pillion is always going to result in a skittish rear end on this bike. At that pressure solo, not enough heat is generated in the tyre. I run mine at 38psi and that makes quite a difference.

Yes, the Metzelers. I keep the pressure lower but perhaps I need to keep it even less.

The Honda dealership I go to seems to keep the tires at the stated pressures. They had a demo
ride on a 45 degree day and we had a guy slide out the back wheel on a BMW 800GS. Similar to
the NC. Dented back rim, deflated tire and scraped up on the side. The guy was o.k. I think.

You can't always blame the tires for rider error. This BMW guy could have given more throttle than the situation allowed. My dad crashed his Buell at Jennings on bt003's blaming the tires. I ran the exact pair he took off running 15 secs faster a lap time and they stuck fine. Most of the time accidents are rider error...

You can't always blame the tires for rider error. This BMW guy could have given more throttle than the situation allowed. My dad crashed his Buell at Jennings on bt003's blaming the tires. I ran the exact pair he took off running 15 secs faster a lap time and they stuck fine. Most of the time accidents are rider error...

Yes, I agree totally. He may have been riding the break and not realizing it. I don't know. He left pretty fast.

In my case it was road lines, oil on a turn, pine needles on the street, etc. The NC700X seems to sit up/recover easily though

I rode the Z8 till about 7500 miles... start slipping and I swap them out to PR3... Z8 was good till 7000 miles or so for me, even in the rain...

Tires are much like using your favorite fishing lure. You trust what you've had good experience with. PR3s are my go to tire. I'm sure there are other good tires but I will run what I know and trust.
Mike

Tires are much like using your favorite fishing lure. You trust what you've had good experience with. PR3s are my go to tire. I'm sure there are other good tires but I will run what I know and trust.
Mike
Yes, I have about 25,000 miles on PR3s now but was time to try something different on a different bike.

25,000 miles total? or one pair? I think I remember you posting in another thread about 7,500 miles on the rear on the ST 1300?

Several pairs. I have had the worst luck with flats the last few years... I have yet to ride out a PR3 rear to the wear bars. I have to plug 'em before wearing them out. I installed the first set at 92,xxx miles. Now at 118,xxx miles.

I don't have enough miles on my new 2012 ncx (848mi) to have much of an opinion on the tires. Haven't even ridden in rain yet. However, I went through several types of tires on my KLR and Vstrom bikes. I know the ncx isn't really an off-road bike much at all, but all I wanted to do was handle some dirt roads and some gravel. With my other bikes, I more or less settled on the Metzler Tourance tire. They've been good for mild off-road and good in the rain. I'll be on pavement 85-90% of the time, but for those times when I have to do 10 miles of gravel to get to the camping site. Or, 5 miles of eroded and wash board dirt road to get up to a great view for photos... which tire for the ncx is the best choice?

Yes, I agree totally. He may have been riding the break and not realizing it. I don't know. He left pretty fast.

In my case it was road lines, oil on a turn, pine needles on the street, etc. The NC700X seems to sit up/recover easily though
The things you speak of are normally more slippery than clean wet pavement and any tire may slip on painted stripes/markings, greasy spots, and debris. I am sure you try and avoid spots like that if at all possible but when we can't then good tires will hook up again in a way that gives us trust in them. The best tires not only hook up again but transmit feedback during the transition from sliding or slipping to 100% traction and vice versa. My 2 cents anyway.

I really like the Z8 roadtec. These tires are longlasting (nearly 8000 kilometers now; need to change rear tire, also soon front) and offer good allround capabilities, cold and wet grip and handling. Riding at all weather conditions apart from snow and ice. Next set already stacked in garage. I am aware there are people who claim about tire slipping. This does not at all match my experience with those tires, strange enough. I am also using Pilot Power with nearly identical tire specs and identical rim specs on my WR supermoto, and I cannot tell the Z8 any worse with respect to public road riding (no track riding currently). But the Michelin last only 5000km at rear end although there are only 31HP available as opposed to 52HP with the NC.

I'll never cease to be amazed at how the same tires, on the same bike, can be so differently experienced!

I took an instant dislike and fear of my Metzeler Z8 tires. The nickname I gave my bike (Gabby, a play on words from a Japanese expression "Gabi-n" which loosely translates to: "Holy F*ck!") came about as direct result of my very first 20' of riding!

I've never had such hideous, slippery, and downright scary feeling tires as these things!

I was so not expecting this, as I loved the Metzeler Z6 Interacts I had on my BMW! (and the rear tire lasted 19,000 km's, front tire still looked brand new)

Go figure, eh?

I liked the earlier Z6 Roadtec on my ST1300 but for that lack of wear bars in the center of the rear tire. I ran two pair before moving on.

I liked the earlier Z6 Roadtec on my ST1300 but for that lack of wear bars in the center of the rear tire. I ran two pair before moving on.

ha ha! That was my only complaint against the thing, too!

I was just about as far away from civilization one can get in BC, and my rear tire looked just fine every morning I checked it. Then at a lunch stop, pretty much instantly, Auugh! :eek:

This cost me dearly, lol.

I really like the Z8 roadtec. These tires are longlasting (nearly 8000 kilometers now; need to change rear tire, also soon front) and offer good allround capabilities, cold and wet grip and handling. Riding at all weather conditions apart from snow and ice. Next set already stacked in garage. I am aware there are people who claim about tire slipping. This does not at all match my experience with those tires, strange enough. I am also using Pilot Power with nearly identical tire specs and identical rim specs on my WR supermoto, and I cannot tell the Z8 any worse with respect to public road riding (no track riding currently). But the Michelin last only 5000km at rear end although there are only 31HP available as opposed to 52HP with the NC.

+1. 12,000 km with the Z8, and my next set are going to be the same

The Z8's are my favorite so far. I commute almost every day over highway 17, and trust these tires completely. I ride over at 430 in the morning when its still damp out. Love these tires. Front is still good. Replacing the rear at 8k do to a flat. Could have done 9 to 10 k I think.

Back