• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I locked my key in the frunk, OR how to defeat the frunk lock!

funny, I like the idea but I keep my wallet in there too and if someone figures out it's really the key then I'm screwed.....:cool:

I keep my wallet, which has my ID, on my person. If I'm ever ejected from my motorcycle, emergency response crews will more easily find it with me.

In addition to the "knob frunk key" and a spare in my riding jacket, if I go on a multi-day trip with friends (which most often includes my brother) I'll give a spare key to one of them during the trip. It's never happened but I'm paranoid about locking myself "out" of my bike.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I got the replacement lock and front cover in.

The good/bad news is that I now have two sets of keys, one for the frunk and one for the ignition.

So I guess I'm going to make a frunk knob out of one of them.

I am also rigging up the emergency string to pop it:

264882cd778386dcbe576deb40e69c44.jpg

One of the best things I've done. Goldwing radio knob looks cleanest I believe. I bought 2 in case I messed one up.
22f6bf25489833ec95064a35c9a6745d.jpg
f505ae2656c4d15b9cf3c67bd0c37003.jpg
fa17a28a895f8dc36567d5955fd12309.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930P using Tapatalk

I got the replacement lock and front cover in.

The good/bad news is that I now have two sets of keys, one for the frunk and one for the ignition.

So I guess I'm going to make a frunk knob out of one of them.

I am also rigging up the emergency string to pop it:

Wonder if you chat up the local locksmith to make em match.

Nice. What did you use for the knob? I think this looks the best of any of the mods I have seen.

I got it from Ace hardware. $4.00. I drilled a hole through the key and knob to pin it together and then epoxied it.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks

Thanks for posting this. I had taken apart all of the fairing work last weekend and I guess I didn't attach a portion of the cable that fits in a slot in the fairing and it fell out. I was panicked until I saw this post and was able to take enough fairing off to get a long screwdriver in to release the latch without doing any damage. I reattached everything and it's great now.

So after 2 years and 13,000 miles, I managed to lock my key in the frunk. I don't know how it happened, wasn't paying attention. Had the key in my hand with all my other frunk junk and was sorting things and the wind blew it closed.

300 miles away from home and no cell signal. Only a few tools in my tool tube.

Here's how I recovered it:

1. Tried the big screwdriver in the lock technique that works so well on scooters, desk locks, cheap safes, some bikes... Tried levering the hood open at the hook point. Doesn't work. Damaged the lock and center cover. $120.00. I'll spare the gory pictures of that.

2. Left Side: I managed to get the 'fuct' unclipped from the front, and was able to pivot it out of the way (but still attached by the Phillips head screw under the frunk lid) enough for me to be able to get the front side cover off (the one with the signal light)

873c2a4903bc2f481b1e765d60e0b121.jpg

5aaaa6412a995b06ba81c655826c7e51.jpg

4. The frunk lid can be opened just enough so that you can see one of the hex head bolts that holds the inner upper cover in place. [2] in the picture. The protrusions on the 2016 frunk can be used as grab points to lever the plastic up just enough to get the short end of an L shaped Allen key in there and loosen that bolt. Then remove the trim clip.

b4e7456fa449a5e64396c7e9d4219766.jpg

5. At this point you can get a screwdriver between the inner upper cover and center cover and make contact with the latch mechanism. If you tap it just right it will snap open and release the frunk.

Back