• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'm going in...16,000 Mile Service

Just to mention: I did also change the sprockets for I have a complete 525 set up.

The old chain, the original D.I.D O-Ring that was stock on the bike lasted me 15,275 miles. It was alright but always looked a little weak and feeble to me! Couldn't wait to upgrade it to an xring!

I cleaned (With paraffin) my chain every week, or sometimes a little longer (possibly two), sometimes every 600+ Miles. I then apply either Wurth Dry Lube or Wurth Chain Wax (I use that a lot now).

OriginalRocket - Chain pitch is the distance between the centre of any two adjoining roller pins. This dimension insures a good fit between the chain and the sprocket teeth.

Beemerphile - I have not I didn't want to touch it as it's under warranty, It's in the dealership now I'll see what they say!

Service done!

Couldn't get the readings from the tappets as the mechanic had gone home by the time I got there. I will try and get them! I do know both were out.

All was reported well, costs are on the blog: NC700X Adventures | “A good traveler has no fixed plans, and is not intent on arriving.†~ Lao Tzu ~

I would love, love, love to keep this bike until the 100,000 mile mark, however, as my partner is herself getting interested in motorbikes, I know we will want something bigger to suit both of us for summer 2014 and the trips we have planned thereafter,

We aim to go riding together on the NCX this summer after I return from the Alps to see what we make of it before either sticking with it or purchasing a second bike for us at the weekends. I'm more concerned about the lack of power with an additional person, we are only light, about 50KG each but I've had her on the back before and it seemed to lack a lot of power immediately.

I do not think of myself as any kind of expert, so this is just given in a casual sort of way. My wife and I did a lot of touring two-up, on a variety of machines small and large. She is an excellent passenger, but never wanted to be the driver. Comfort is #1. Having a less powerful machine does some good things. Passing cars etc. becomes something done when I was 100% sure of the pass, and in general my speed was a bit less. Again comfort is #1.

Art

I forgot to mention... I also changed the pitch of the chain to 525 from 520 - Much smoother!

Strangely enough when I first joined this forum I started a thread asking occasioned else thought the chain size was a bit on the weedy size. As far as I'm concerned your findings prove that this is the case. We'll done sir, I take my hat off to you. :)

If any can post some PREVENTION ideas to protecting the electrical loom connector, thanks. My bike is new and yes once and while I'll get caught and ride long in the rain on a trip. Any ideas to avoid water ingress appreciated. Thanks

Last edited:
Are you talking about the air ducts,center cover, or side cowl? Do you know what the loom connector goes to? There is a anti corrosive zink paste for electrical connections that should remidy the condition. http://sw-em.com/anti_corrosive_paste.htm Here is one available from Radio Shack RadioShack® Anti-Corrosive Lubricant Spray - RadioShack.com

You do not need or want zinc in the connection. That is for galvanic corrosion protection between aluminum and copper conductors. The product to use is simple silicone dielectric grease. Some will say that you should use a conductive grease rather than an insulating (dielectric) grease, but this is incorrect. Open the connectors, pack silicone dielectric grease into the female side, reconnect, and wipe off the excess. I have never seen it fail.

Wozza - Yes it looked very weedy, I was actually concerned a little because it's not exactly a soft engine, if you want to play it has enough grunt low down to do so. An Independent dealer who agreed to change it for me thought the same once he'd seen it, so we went ahead and now I actually prefer it, when I first had it changed I noticed a big difference - I doubt I will go back to the 520 now, the 525 pulls her perfectly, so much smoother!

Backinsaddle - I agree to what Beemerphile and Turbodiesel - they know their stuff and that's what I'm doing when the new loom is replaced (Currently early April for that to be done)

I do not think of myself as any kind of expert, so this is just given in a casual sort of way. My wife and I did a lot of touring two-up, on a variety of machines small and large. She is an excellent passenger, but never wanted to be the driver. Comfort is #1. Having a less powerful machine does some good things. Passing cars etc. becomes something done when I was 100% sure of the pass, and in general my speed was a bit less. Again comfort is #1.

Art

Hi Oldenuf, Yes I'm not looking for a bigger bike as such, probably an 800, as you rightly said comfort is paramount and that's what I'm after... lots of it too!

The NC is very comfortable though, solo or two up, I did a 570 mile day on Motorways at 70MPH+ (Solo) and it was spot on! Slightly windy around the legs at times.

I forgot to mention... I also changed the pitch of the chain to 525 from 520 - Much smoother!

As with many things bike related, this is a new topic for me so I looked it up. All 500 series chains have the same pitch and roller diameter, the difference is the distance between the side plates:

520: 1/4"
525: 5/16"
530: 3/8"

So I'm at a bit of a loss why that change would make it smoother. Perhaps just a new chain effect? Chain alignment issue?

As with many things bike related, this is a new topic for me so I looked it up. All 500 series chains have the same pitch and roller diameter, the difference is the distance between the side plates:

520: 1/4"
525: 5/16"
530: 3/8"

So I'm at a bit of a loss why that change would make it smoother. Perhaps just a new chain effect? Chain alignment issue?

Go change and you'll find out, it feels much more stable, smooth and responsive - due to that fact it's a tiny bit bigger than stock. Personally, I think the 520 isn't quite matched for the bike. But then this is Honda.

Chain Size / Pitch / Inner Width roller
520- 5/8 - 1/4
525 - 5/8 - 5/16

I'm no bike mechanic - but I know there are some about who can probably tell you what you want to know, otherwise enjoy what works for you.

Funny, the sport bike "fast boys" are going the other way for a few horsepower less in power transmission losses. And they are running many more ponies than we are. Surely the 520 is adequate for our underpowered beats of burden. I am not sure I have any extra ponies I want to give away to frictional losses.

I agree Beemerphile, the 520 was fine, mine lasted 15,XXX miles happily and would have probably got a few more out of it! :)

I am no chain guy, so please educate me....

Not to offend anyone, but I would think that Honda engineers are able to get that basic element of the bike design down pretty good, no?

Whenever I overhear chain bike owner talk - all I hear is about changing the sprockets, the chain is changed for "color" or make... but what the hell do I know about chains... :confused:

So, my question is - is it the chain or the sprocket that really makes the difference? Do you have to change both to get the best results?

Thanks for the upcoming lesson!

Sorry... Stupid question here... Sorry...

I am at almost 11,000 miles... I notice a few links of my original chains is "strange"... Just a couple of them... They are not pointing the same direction as others... Don't know the word for it... Sorry... Might have to replace them around 15k miles. I too, lube the chains every 200, 300 miles... Kind of surprise the chains start going bad... :(

Just want to clarify that you are using 525 instead of stock 520 chains... Do you kept the original sprockets? I might do the same if the bike ride the same... 525 chains should last a little longer, right?

My chains the same way with links pointing in different directions. I'm going to at least stretch it to the 16k service. Hell I got 31k out of my cbr1000rr original chain! This chain on this bike is depressing....

After reading the post's on the loom connector problems, I sprayed mine down with anti-corrosion spray and made a cover for over it out of a old inner tube. The photo is looking down thru the body under the left air duct. There is a hole in the frame were I inserted a plastic clip from ??? to hold the cover on. It will not make it water proof, but should help. Rain cover 001.jpg

Last edited:
LA-NC700X,
I've never heard anyone recommend mis-matched componentson any drive train. If you were to go to 525 chain, you should also change to matching sprockets.
Having said that, I can't believe so many people are starting to see chain problems this early on NC700s. I do know that both RK and DID produce several product lines of chain with greatly differing strength ratings. I'm beginning to think our bikes have been equipped with the absolute bottom line of their respective manufacturers.
When its time to replace the chain on my bike, I think I'll stay with the 520 size, but I plan on making a major jump up in the strength and quality rating.

Bob

LA-NC700X,
I've never heard anyone recommend mis-matched componentson any drive train. If you were to go to 525 chain, you should also change to matching sprockets.
Having said that, I can't believe so many people are starting to see chain problems this early on NC700s. I do know that both RK and DID produce several product lines of chain with greatly differing strength ratings. I'm beginning to think our bikes have been equipped with the absolute bottom line of their respective manufacturers.
When its time to replace the chain on my bike, I think I'll stay with the 520 size, but I plan on making a major jump up in the strength and quality rating.

Bob

What's the strenght quality rating? How do you know one 520 size chain is stronger than another 520? I've never had a chain drive before so all this is new to me.

Back