• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

I'm going in...16,000 Mile Service

LA-NC700X,
I've never heard anyone recommend mis-matched componentson any drive train. If you were to go to 525 chain, you should also change to matching sprockets.
Having said that, I can't believe so many people are starting to see chain problems this early on NC700s. I do know that both RK and DID produce several product lines of chain with greatly differing strength ratings. I'm beginning to think our bikes have been equipped with the absolute bottom line of their respective manufacturers.
When its time to replace the chain on my bike, I think I'll stay with the 520 size, but I plan on making a major jump up in the strength and quality rating.

Bob

I was just trying to find out what other do... If it will work, that's all... I am not an expert, I always use what ever size, type of the original....

Sorry... Stupid question here... Sorry...

I am at almost 11,000 miles... I notice a few links of my original chains is "strange"... Just a couple of them... They are not pointing the same direction as others... Don't know the word for it... Sorry... Might have to replace them around 15k miles. I too, lube the chains every 200, 300 miles... Kind of surprise the chains start going bad... :(

Just want to clarify that you are using 525 instead of stock 520 chains... Do you kept the original sprockets? I might do the same if the bike ride the same... 525 chains should last a little longer, right?

LA_NC700X

Yes, you change both chain and Sprockets to 525, if you buy a 520 chain, you need a 520 sprocket set and vice versa with a 525.

When you say they point in weird directions, it's probably just a few stiff links! Nothing to really worry about, it's all in the life of a chain, it happens. Cleaning the chain is as important as lubing it. Riding style dictates how long the chain will last also. :)

You can buy another 520 chain & Sprockets (Never buy a new chain and leave the old sprockets on, the chain wears faster), it'll last just as long as a 525 if you take care of it, there really isn't that much difference between either of them, ones just a slightly bigger gauge (525). What I would suggest is going to a D.I.D XRing, I always go top of the range, the very best you can get - look after it and it will look after you in the long term, XRing in my experience are much better than ORing.

LA_NC700X

Yes, you change both chain and Sprockets to 525, if you buy a 520 chain, you need a 520 sprocket set and vice versa with a 525.

When you say they point in weird directions, it's probably just a few stiff links! Nothing to really worry about, it's all in the life of a chain, it happens. Cleaning the chain is as important as lubing it. Riding style dictates how long the chain will last also. :)

You can buy another 520 chain & Sprockets (Never buy a new chain and leave the old sprockets on, the chain wears faster), it'll last just as long as a 525 if you take care of it, there really isn't that much difference between either of them, ones just a slightly bigger gauge (525). What I would suggest is going to a D.I.D XRing, I always go top of the range, the very best you can get - look after it and it will look after you in the long term, XRing in my experience are much better than ORing.

Thanks

Have you notice anything different after going to 525 from 520? I haven't use X-ring before... Might try that next time...

I always take really good care of my chains... My original chains on my last bike 09 versys last till almost 30,000 miles.... I changed it because a long trip was coming up... The machanic told me the chains still looks really good, u sure u want to change it out? :)

Thanks

Have you notice anything different after going to 525 from 520? I haven't use X-ring before... Might try that next time...

I always take really good care of my chains... My original chains on my last bike 09 versys last till almost 30,000 miles.... I changed it because a long trip was coming up... The machanic told me the chains still looks really good, u sure u want to change it out? :)

WOWE! 30,000 that's awesome! I thought I did a good job of looking after a chain :/

As I have previously said, I just find it a lot smoother and I think it pulls better from what I remember on the 520 pitch. :)

What do you clean your chain with? I want mine to last this long!

What's the strenght quality rating? How do you know one 520 size chain is stronger than another 520? I've never had a chain drive before so all this is new to me.

Replacement chain is generally marketed with the tension rating in the specifications.

Replacement chain is generally marketed with the tension rating in the specifications.
What Lee said.:). If you look on the chain manufacturers' web sites you will find specifications for their different lines of chain. For example, Honda uses RK or DID chain on the NC700. Both companies websites list tensile strength, relative usable life expectancy, and the maximum recommended engine size for each of their chain types. Right now, they both list X-Ring type chain as their top of the line and both say that can be used on up to 750cc street/sport bikes. Since your typical 750 sport bike has somewhere between 2 to 3 times the horsepower output of our NC700, I'm guessing either manufacturers size 520 X-Ring chain would work pretty well.
Don't get me wrong, I'm not saying anyone would be wrong in changing to the 525 size chain. It is stronger than the 520. it's just that I would personally rather stay with the 520.

Bob

You guys with the sticky links -- are you cleaning the chain, or just lubing it over and over? All that lube may be gunked up with debris and causing the wonky links.

I sit down with a coffee cup filled with kerosene and a toothbrush and scrub mine down and get it really clean every 1-2k miles (every month or two). Lube it back up, re-lube every few hundred miles, and repeat. Managed to get 51k miles out of the OEM chain on my Bandit that way, and it still looked pretty good -- no frozen links or stretched parts, just a little red rust 'dust' started to appear so I replaced it to be safe.

I'm only at ~7,500 miles on the NC right now. I sure hope I can get more than 15k out of the chain...

trey

WOWE! 30,000 that's awesome! I thought I did a good job of looking after a chain :/ !
B
You guys with the sticky links -- are you cleaning the chain, or just lubing it over and over? All that lube may be gunked up with debris and causing the wonky links.

I sit down with a coffee cup filled with kerosene and a toothbrush and scrub mine down and get it really clean every 1-2k miles (every month or two). Lube it back up, re-lube every few hundred miles, and repeat. Managed to get 51k miles out of the OEM chain on my Bandit that way, and it still looked pretty good --

I'm only at ~7,500 miles on the NC right now. I sure hope I can get more than 15k out of the chain...

trey

Agree with Trey with some resonable care 30,000 to 50,0000 would be the normal and expected chain mileage. Less off road would cause the mileage to increase.

I sit down with a coffee cup filled with kerosene and a toothbrush and scrub mine down and get it really clean every 1-2k miles (every month or two). Lube it back up, re-lube every few hundred miles, and repeat. Managed to get 51k miles out of the OEM chain on my Bandit that way, and it still looked pretty good -- no frozen links or stretched parts, just a little red rust 'dust' started to appear so I replaced it to be safe.

trey

I'd rather replace the chain every 15-30k miles than sit down and do that all the time. Some things just aren't worth me wasting my time on. I got way better things to do other than über service my chain.. Just saying

Wow!!!,51K out if a chain !!!.
My last bike ( DL1000 ) only got 10-12,000 out of a set of sprockets and a chain no matter what I did.
So that ment 1.5 sets of tires and a set of sprockets and a chain every year.
I spent alot of $$$ in the 50,000 miles I owned it.
I hope the NC does better.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I'd rather replace the chain every 15-30k miles than sit down and do that all the time. Some things just aren't worth me wasting my time on. I got way better things to do other than über service my chain.. Just saying

I wipe my down with a rag and paraffin every week, then lube it but I can never seem to get any more than 15K from a chain, what's the chain slack like at that mileage and are you past the replacement markers on the side of the swing arm? Do you remove any links or?? The rate I ride I have to replace my chain twice a year and 2 pairs of tyres a year, I would love to only have one chain for that period!

:)

I wipe my down with a rag and paraffin every week, then lube it but I can never seem to get any more than 15K from a chain, what's the chain slack like at that mileage and are you past the replacement markers on the side of the swing arm? Do you remove any links or?? The rate I ride I have to replace my chain twice a year and 2 pairs of tyres a year, I would love to only have one chain for that period!

:)

You bring up very good questions...............how is everyone determining their chain needs to be replaced?????????

Stretch is the first criteria..........if the wear stretch indicators on the swing arm are reached the chain is used up. Shortening the chain at this time is NOT a good fix.
Removing the chain and measuring pin to pin length ( best done over 100 pins) compare to standards to judge stretch.

Worn sprockets would be another criteria and that is easy to judge.........New sprockets equals new chain.

Corrosion would be another criteria........severe rust is bad........light surface on the side plates not much of a worry. Lube just enough to stop rust.

Over tensioning the chain will cause excessive stretch. Too tight chain is one of the worst things one can do for the chain, sprockets and the counter shaft bearing and seal. Tight chain will destroy the chain in a short period.

Any thing that compromises the o-ring seals will cause excessive wear and stretch.

Gravel, mud and dust will wear the chain much faster.
Excessive lube that attracts dirt and dust is not good and will cause excessive wear.

Last edited:
I have had chains that were not stretched, but began to develop "kinks", and tight links along the chain. When I examined these links there was no grease in the link behind the "O" ring. I feel this is also an indication for a new chain. No grease in the link could lead to failure.

I have tried to get lube into these tight links and never been able to get lube past the "O" ring into the link.

Art

Last edited:

Taking 10 minutes once every month or two is worth saving $200-400 (the cost of 1-2 chain and sprocket sets) to me. Gives me a chance to look over the other parts of the bike at the same time. I'm not saying you need to do it every week, but cleaning it every now and then will get you a lot further on it, and it's good bonding time for me and the bike -- there's nothing else to tinker with on such a low maintenance bike!

As for slack, I tend to run mine loose -- a little looser than spec. If you can nail it on spec I'm sure it's fine, but I'd rather err on the side of loose vs. tight.

trey

Last edited:
As for slack, I tend to run mine loose -- a little looser than spec. If you can nail it on spec I'm sure it's fine, but I'd rather err on the side of loose vs. tight.

trey

Chains and engine valves are both noisy if loose and dangerous if tight, so a little loose is better than a little tight. However, with chains at least, since wear will increase the slack, when I adjust it I go for the low end of the spec range.

WOWE! 30,000 that's awesome! I thought I did a good job of looking after a chain :/

As I have previously said, I just find it a lot smoother and I think it pulls better from what I remember on the 520 pitch. :)

What do you clean your chain with? I want mine to last this long!

I am hesitate to answer your question... Afraid I will get flames... Well... I only lube and never clean my chains... I lube very often, like every time I put gas, I lube the chains... Around 200 miles or less... I do go on 500, 600 miles trips without lubing but I lube them when I get home...

I do once in a blue month, take a old towel and spray some wd40 and then clean the chains with it...

I never have kinks on any of the chains of my bikes in the past... NC700x and Vstrom 650 were the only 2 that I guess came with cheap chains...

I will be going on a 3000-5000 miles soon and I am at 12,200 miles or so... Even though a few links on my chains are kink but the chains didn't stretch since 600 miles and 3000 miles adjustment (yes, only adjusted 2 times). I am a little worry about the chains... Should I replace them???

Oh, I been using honda chains lubes, both white and red and white and blue... I like the white and red better, I think the other is too thick... I used the 3M teflon lube (blue can) in the past... and only started using the honda lube since I bought the NC700x.

I am hesitate to answer your question... Afraid I will get flames... Well... I only lube and never clean my chains... I lube very often, like every time I put gas, I lube the chains... Around 200 miles or less... I do go on 500, 600 miles trips without lubing but I lube them when I get home...

I do once in a blue month, take a old towel and spray some wd40 and then clean the chains with it...

I never have kinks on any of the chains of my bikes in the past... NC700x and Vstrom 650 were the only 2 that I guess came with cheap chains...

I will be going on a 3000-5000 miles soon and I am at 12,200 miles or so... Even though a few links on my chains are kink but the chains didn't stretch since 600 miles and 3000 miles adjustment (yes, only adjusted 2 times). I am a little worry about the chains... Should I replace them???

Oh, I been using honda chains lubes, both white and red and white and blue... I like the white and red better, I think the other is too thick... I used the 3M teflon lube (blue can) in the past... and only started using the honda lube since I bought the NC700x.

No flames...........sounds like a very reasonable maintenance plan for a modern o-ring chain.........ride .......clean and lube.....ride then repeat.

LA-NC700X,

...... I can't believe so many people are starting to see chain problems this early on NC700s. I do know that both RK and DID produce several product lines of chain with greatly differing strength ratings. I'm beginning to think our bikes have been equipped with the absolute bottom line of their respective manufacturers.........

I was putting on an RG hugger the other nite and noticed that the chain was rubbing on it... but only for a portion of the rotation. I adjusted the hugger, but the chain does have a slight run-out problem.

The chain is the DID Japan version with only about 200 miles on it.

I'm going to give it some time to break in, but will definately keep on eyeball on it.

First time I've noticed chain run-out on one of my bikes... but then again, most of them have been shafties

anyone else experienced this?

I have had chains that were not stretched, but began to develop "kinks", and tight links along the chain. When I examined these links there was no grease in the link behind the "O" ring. I feel this is also an indication for a new chain. No grease in the link could lead to failure.

I have tried to get lube into these tight links and never been able to get lube past the "O" ring into the link.

Art

Same here... No good...

I start to see more and more kinks now... I check a couple of weeks ago, it has only 5, now about 10 kinks chains... :(

Back