• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Is everyone shifting where the manual says to shift?

cyrano138

Reaction score
Visit site
Where to shift depends on circumstances, of course, but just out of curiosity where are you guys normally shifting? Did I understand the manual correctly if I think it said to shift to:
2nd @ 12 mph
3rd @ 19 mph
4th @ 25 mph
5th @ 31 mph
6th @ 37 mph?

That seems to keep the rpm's (in flatland of course) between 2k and 3k.

Those numbers are for maximum economy. My shift points tend to be at higher speed/rpm and I do not think I am an aggressive rider. I did hit the rev limiter on my test ride, but I have not hit it on my bike yet.

I shift right about 4k most of the time, I do hold 5th a bit longer because its a bigger gap between ratios. The thing I thought was really ridiculous was the downshifting recommendations.

6th to 5th @ 28 mph
5th to 4th @ 22 mph
4th to 3rd @ 16 mph

I shift right about 4k most of the time, I do hold 5th a bit longer because its a bigger gap between ratios. The thing I thought was really ridiculous was the downshifting recommendations.

6th to 5th @ 28 mph
5th to 4th @ 22 mph
4th to 3rd @ 16 mph

I'd forgotten about those. I was downshifting in basically the same places I was upshifting.

I've never really undertood the manfacturer's low RPM shift points. Sure they my be good for gas mileage, but lugging the engine like that can't be real good on the bottom end.

WGW

I am shifting gears up and down in the 3000-4000 range. Maybe a little lower on the downshift. 2500 - 3000.

BTW I am still in the break in mode. 250 miles. I am thinking of changing the oil & filter at 300 miles when the break in is complete.

Last edited:
I have been following the manual's guidelines on shifting. Not to a T; when I need more uummph, I'll let it rev higher, but generally I'm in 6th around 40mph.

I'm not in a Pacer! Let's see 6th is around 60-70, 5th is round 50, 4th is round 40, 3rd is 30ish, see where I'm going here gang?

About the same here. In traffic, my shift points will vary a bit downward, but given an open space ahead, see the above.

Where to shift depends on circumstances, of course, but just out of curiosity where are you guys normally shifting? Did I understand the manual correctly if I think it said to shift to:
2nd @ 12 mph
3rd @ 19 mph
4th @ 25 mph
5th @ 31 mph
6th @ 37 mph?

That seems to keep the rpm's (in flatland of course) between 2k and 3k.

Absolutely that's where I shift (under normal acceleration circumstances). That's how the bike was designed to be ridden. Of course one can always push any machine beyond it's intended range, and this bike seems capable to do so, but what's the point? One of the strongest features of the NC is its fuel economy. If that wasn't important to me I would have just bought a different bike.

Incidentally, it may be because my other bike is a 900 lb touring cruiser, but I find the NC to be very light, nimble, and peppy, so I don't feel I've sacrificed any of that for fuel economy, even riding per the recommended shift points.

Paul

I would never shift at what the manual says. Much prefer to shift between 4-4k revs. Still gives very good fuel economy while the after market can makes a lovely low growl between 3-4 k revs :)

Tony

Cool. This is what I was looking for today.

Sh*t no, I'm not in a Pacer! Let's see 6th is around 60-70, 5th is round 50, 4th is round 40, 3rd is 30ish, see where I'm going here gang?

That's close to how I shifted my C50, just without 6th gear. Shifting was done about every 10-15 mph. It did not have a tach.

On my brand new NC700X rides today (yep, finally bought one) I was shifting around 3,500 rpm. That felt good. In my 50 miles experience, I did not hit the rev limit, and that's with missing the shifter twice in a row.

After engine warm up never below 4k on 95% of the time.

Shifting down according to circumstances.

Never really look at the manual for that, my ears and rev meter indicates when to.

Some people will not shift the NC because they absolutely must hit the rev limiter in every gear then complain about it. They don't feel fulfilled unless they do. Then the riders who know how to shift an engine in the real world when it wants/needs to will find the factory suggestions good for easy cruising and killer gas mileage (around 3500k). When riding like a hooligan you'll find 5k the sweet spot for sporty riding.

I didn't even read that page in the owners manual until I'd had the bike for a good little while, I was always shifting at 4-4.5k. It just felt right. I tried once doing it as per the manual, what a terrible experience. I'm sure doing it that way leads to fantastic fuel economy, but that's not the way I'm wired.
Little side note, I use to have a '91 XR250L with the shift points marked right on the speedometer. It's been quite a while since I got rid of that thing, but if I remember right they were all backwards from the NC, set stupid high as oppose to soul-crushingly low. I never went by those either, but when you're bombing through some tight single track you're not exactly paying attention to the speedo.

Shifting is a matter of personal preference for everyone. I shift when it feels comfortable for me and the motor to do so. I don't like lugging an engine and unless I am in a serious hurry, I don't rev too hard either. With this particular motorcycle I am comfortable shifting somewhere between 3500 and 4500 rpm. In towns or heavy traffic I will lower that range. I never monitor the tacho, and only keep a check on the Speedo to ensure I am not breaking speed limits by too much. The rest of my engine and speed management is done by the seat of the pants. The torquiness of this little motor makes it pointless to rev it hard. Just my view.

5th gear at 31mph, not even tried that on the 750, son't think at ever will, I like the engine to break if I roll off and accelerate when I roll on.

30mph - 3rd gear
40-50 mph - 4th gear
50 - 70 mph - 5th gear
60+ Motorways and dual carriageways - 6th

Traffic light amusement 0-30 - 1st gear

I think the recommended shift points are around 2k. I shift around 3k by ear most the time. I've only hit the limiter once in a tricky traffic scenario.

Back