• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Learning The NC 700

TN Thunder

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
I have had my NC for 6 weeks, it's a 2012 model. Made several 180 and 200 mile trips and have been pleasantly impressed. Saturday i was suppose to meet up with a group about 30 miles south for a 200+ mile ride. Missed them by 10 minutes due to miscommunication. So I continued on my own. Ran it pretty good, 60 to 70 and then started running 65 to 75. Very hard wind. A small amount of city riding but mostly on open roads, crossing 3 mountain ranges, lots of switchback curves keeping one eye out for ice. The gas mileage still impresses me. I even stretched it out a bit to see what it cold do and bucked the wind for 2/3 of the trip. Total mileage was 356 miles averaged 68.4 mpg. Wind will move it about fairly easy and that seat is hard. I could never handle 6 or 8 500 mile days on it. Unless I self injected some numbing medication to my rear. I love the torque in 3rd, 4th and 5th. Great for these Appalachian Mountains.

the seat is usually the first thing folks replace. Some riders go cross continent on this bike 600+ miles a day for many days.
With the right seat, it's still fun to ride... even that much.

I thought the bike was very comfortable in the wind. The first long ride we did was from Denver to Albuquerque in March. It was windy enough that high wind warning signs were up in Colorado Springs. Compared to the DS bikes it is amazing. It blew hard all the way but after about 80 miles I was comfortable the bike would not do anything unexpected. Once relaxed I never gave it another though. The wind hitting the body gives you a bad sensation but the bike doesn't seem to care. Ran 70-80 mph most of the way. I was concerned about riding in high winds on this bike. But that ride removed all concern. It is not at the level of comfort of the FJR, but that weighs over 600 pounds. And we rode it two up. Harder to move 1000 pounds.

High winds.... yes, the NC seems very stable even in high winds.... head winds like the ones you were in will push my MPG down into the 50s!
YMMV! (Your Mileage May Varry).

I've done a lot of riding in the wind but with much heavier bikes. The bike handled okay but the gusts from the side had a tendency to push it. I was clipping along pretty good too. As for mpg, it will way exceed my Valkyrie for she has a windshield about the size of a billboard, not to mention all the windgrabbing stuff hanging off her. But she weighs in around 850 pounds. Plus me. I will probably be looking at another seat in the future. The rides I usually make are daily and about 200 miles. Sometimes we spend 8 hrs. in the saddle and only go 165 miles here in the mountains.

And yes, TN has a lot more to offer than just the Dragon. I have roads very near me that make the Dragon look like a Sunday drive. Just not as many curves in the same distance but blind curves, blind hills and unmarked road lanes. These are called "squinchers" because you're so tight on the seat.

You live in a very nice area. I was stationed at Ft. Campbell for five years and made several trips to Pigeon Forge while living there. I've ridden through Seymour. I did a majority of my riding near Clarskville but the further east you go the more beautiful it gets. If I had not met my current wife at the end of my army career I'd probably still be living in Tennessee.

I'm glad your enjoying the bike. Surprisingly we have heavy winds in Arkansas at times. I get pushed around pretty good but I keep the topbox and saddle bags on fulltime. Plus the larger than stock windscreen doesn't help. Honestly though, the 400Lbs CBR I used to ride got pushed around to and it really doesn't seem much different.

I went with an aftermarket seat and still can't handle multiple 500+ days. LOL!

Buddy and I were riding across the Smoky Mtns. today, wind was picking up and I rounded a curve and felt like I had lost the throttle. Hit a wind gust head on. Blowing about 35 to 40 mph up high. It's suppose to be around 50 to 70 mph gusts up there tonight.

Back