• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Locking up the NC700X - Do you?

And with the amount of battery powered tools nowadays, it would take mere seconds to cut through the most indestructible chain ever made, with one of those fibreglass/diamond cut off blades in a little grinder. All the thieves would have to do, is wait for the coast to be clear and maybe muffle the sound a wee bit. :mad:

so you would say an alarm is a better idea?

any thing is better than nothing.
no matter what you put on you will not stop a determined thief ,only a 45 calibre gun will do that but make sure you aim up his ass so that cops don't find the offending hole;)

Last edited:

I hate to say this, as it really sounds like a cop out (is there a pun in there somewhere...? 0.o heh heh) but I think proper Theft Insurance is the first and foremost priority...

I will try to keep in mind not picking a poor place to park versus a hopefully better one if I can, and depending, will maybe chuck a disc lock on if I feel like it, but personally I have never had really good success with alarms, in the past. They've always ended up being more hassle than they were worth. Dead batteries, false alarms, pissed off neighbors, getting everyone used to thinking: "it's just a cat on that damned bike, making noise again"

One alarm I had with a silent setting, had a pager that would alert me to when the bike was disturbed. I thought that was awesome, right up until my frazzled nerves and one too many ruined movies showed me the folly of that idea.

I'm not saying don't try to keep your bike stolen by using any and all means at your disposal- alarms, chains, locks, surveilance cameras, a Frunk Monkey, Trunk Monkey Compilation - YouTube whatever, but you have to make that call and balance the time/money/diminishing returns/hassle etc., against your expectations and individual scenarios.

Whatever is supposed to happen will happen... or "anything that can be stolen, will be stolen" (a variation of Murphy's law). :cool:

So if you have a full insurance you basically should not give a single... frunk! :p
Otherwise... it's up to any of us how far will we go to protect our property. However NC700X seems not to be on top of bike-to-steal list. And that's definitely a good news.

I'm a bit lucky. Back in my homecountry, in my hometown I'd like to see someone stealing my bike and not running 500km away with it. That would be really funny to see.
Now, when I'm in Gibraltar... there's almost no vehicles stolen. Why? Because when you steal car or bike you have to take it through the... (OMG, I’m gonna say that)... through the border. And that’s not as easy with all the cameras when you need to show your face and ID.

On the other side... when I’ll go for longer ride and stay somewhere overnight (or parked) I need to have an alternative. For peace of mind at least! :D

View attachment 4418View attachment 4419View attachment 4420
Any comments or preferences on these different types of disc locks?
I have the one on the left.
FWIW, I had to cut through a massive lock similar to one posted earlier in this thread and the bolt cutters I used did it in under 5 seconds.
Bolt cutters won't work on these but nothing will stop a determined thief.
I've heard most of these can be defeated with refrigerant and a hammer but I've never heard a first hand account of it happening.
Just don't forget to remove it before you try to ride off.

I also use a disc lock, but rely more on my insurance. I usually only use the lock on weekends at work when nobody's around. If someone really wanted to steal the bike, they could have someone help them put it on a truck or trailer in a few seconds and drive off; deal with the lock later. Alarm may help there, but those usually end up going off when there's not a problem, as already noted.

Last edited by a moderator:
Fortunately for me, the place I work is completely fenced in, with HD 1080P 360 degree FOV camera's with 2 guards monitoring everything 24/7. So if someone were to try to steal it, they would have a hard time against armed guards. I never really gave this much thought, then again I've never parked my motorcycle in a place where stealing it would be easy either.

I just moved to Arkansas and was surprised to see that almost everyone where I work leaves there helmet just sitting on the bike and some leave there keys in the ignition. I would have never done this where I just came from in Illinois. Thing is, I work close to downtown Little Rock. I would suspect this has some of the highest crime in the state yet people here still leave things available. I grew up around Seattle. That is another story. No offense to anyone. Still love the NW.

I have never used any type of means to secure my bike and place all my faith in my insurance. I'm not to sure how high up the pecking level my NC is. I used to ride CBR's. Those I was a little worried about.

Briefly last year on my old Suzuki I had to park her outside due to a fuel leak problem. I use a U-lock between the rear sprocket hole and the alloy wheel. I suppose someone could have removed the whole rear wheel, but short of that no one would have been hauling it away easily (not to mention 500+ lbs).

I don't use the wheel/handlebar lock often because it's not a big deterrent and you can see from that CBR video. Just pick up the front end and roll away. Again, not easy, but much more doable.

Since I work from home I can't speak for parking in public much. I would probably lock it up in certain locals.

Oddly, a simple cover can make a would be thief think twice. When i travel i cover my bike and run a small cable lock that i got with my gun through the eyelet. If they do try to take the cover off and see Remington stamped on the lock they might have a second thought about it lol.
A cover will also keep people from sitting on the bike as well.

Other than that, maybe a alarm, but mostly full coverage insurance with theft coverage.

A couple things the nc does have going for it is it's not a sport bike nore a Harley (the most stolen bikes) being so new it's also a plus since the replacement parts need is small, stripping the bike down to sell for parts on eBay isn't worth the slow turnaround at this point.

I agree completely with the cover idea.

If I'm going to park my NC and leave it, I cover it with a full cover AND put on the Xena Alarm Disc Lock.

Since there's nothing to look at, people just aren't interested. If someone does try to remove the cover, the Xena will, at least, make a lot of noise.
If they are determined, the XENA will keep them from driving it away. They will have to bring a truck and cart it away.

This also lets me leave my coat and riding suit on the seat under the cover. People just don't steal things if they don't know they're even there!
(sometimes I run a steel cable with padlock through the suit arm and lock it to the bike).

I lock mines up. I use a disk lock with a reminder lanyard with a tag that says REMOVE BEFORE FLIGHT so I won't forget.
I also have a U style bicycle lock with a cable. I know its not heavy duty enough, but I wrap it around a pole, tree or even a fire hydrant.
Anything that slow the bad guys down or make them look else were.

Ken

I was thinking of fitting an alarm but decided to get a Xena XX10 (stainless steel) which I think is a good compromise. It's a visible deterrent and seems extremely strong and although I do use a "reminder" at the moment the lock tells you straight away, by the pre-alarm warning beeps, if you forget and start to move the bike with it still locked on the disc - just long enough to cover your ears - its piercing!

I really like the fact that it auto arms when you fit it and disarms when you remove it. Although it does seem you might need ear-defenders when you have to change the little CR2 battery, which is supposed to last up to 1 year.

At least it makes it most unpleasant for anyone who starts to tamper with the bike and draws attention to them although it seems most passers by tend to ignore vehicle alarms these days!

also when I used to use a big chain ,a friendly local hoody said they just smash the wheel spoke off with a hammer if they couldn't be arsed with tackling the chain . sighs.

I'll second that.
In Geneva bicycles are goners even if chained, whatever part can be removed easily will be taken away. I was told by others that this is limited to Geneva only due to being almost on the border with France.

That's ok then its the French...........

I use an alarmed Disc Lock with a fluorescent tie to the handlebar when the bike is parked for short periods in locations away from my home. As is mentioned above, a bike that is not chained to something solid is easy to put in the back of a van. However, visible locks and chains are a deterrent. They will not necessarily stop a theft but they will perhaps motivate the thief to go elsewhere. Most of the time however I try to park my motorcycle out of the sight of the general public in a safe area. A 15lb lock is only a problem weightwise if on a long tour, but for commuting it is a good thing to carry if the bike can be attached to something solid. The other option is to keep the lock and chain at your place of work to be used when the bike is parked there.

In summary, some form of security, no matter how small, is better than none.

I have a "Secret" theft deterrent on my DCT. It's the "Parking" brake. I'm guessing that 99% of thieves have zero experience with a DCT type bike so when they try to move a DCT bike with that Parking engaged, they are pretty clueless as to why the damn thing won't move.
Failing that, a PAIR of disk locks for the front AND back will virtually guarantee they will look for easier prey elsewhere.

Back