• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

lowering links

Can one use side stad from S rather than dealing with cutting/welding original X side stand? Or they are same length?
Thank you!

Thanks Original Rocket that is the info I wanted, I want it to be as easy as possible to use the centre stand [back problem] I
will go with the S stand, if it's marginal I will add some packers to the feet easier than shortening an X stand.
Kenb.

We have a water-jet at work that I can have a buddy cut lowering links out of Stainless Steel plate.
Do you have any dimensional specs on the link you made. Specifically the distance between the center of the bolt holes.

i have same question to Mick-what is the distance between the center of the bolt holes for 20mm drop? 10 mm? can anyone post the incremental steps(approximate) for every 10 mm drop?

Thank you!

I'll have a free afternoon tomorrow and I'm dare to try make my own links out of regular steel flat bar that they sell at lowes. 1/4-1 1/2 wide. Drill the holes, cut them out , paint etc. Old school :) no fancy laser cutters or stainless steel (cause I don't have any)
I've found on some UK forum that 150 mm between holes will give you a 40mm drop, all I need is 10-20mm max. Because i don't want to mess with sidestand. original distance is 133 mm or so-each 4.25mm between centers on link should give me 10 mm drop. 1/4" or 6.35mm thick should be strong enough for a little guy like me (150 lb w/o any plans of some crazy off roads)
But I do have some questions: anyone knows torque specs? How do I install those links?I don't have center stand, only side stand, car jack and a pair of car jack stands. I've read that w/o centerstand you have to do some crazy ###like suspend the bike and hang it to a ceiling???
KenB setup with a bar into the holes for a centerstand is nice. Was it enough? Did the bike stable enough?
Thank you!

as expected 4.25mm longer link did provide a drop for 1/2". i measured from the top of the caliper to the plastic clip above it,while bike was on side stand.

c34790674292.jpg

89f09ebd3b6b.jpg

i did not notice any big changes in angle of the bike on center stand. doubt that i have to drop the front on such small change. i also made another pair with next increment-9.5mm longer than original,but didn't tried yet.
the short one might be enough.both feet are on the ground now.

my only concern\question is-there is a small gap between(see pic below) between link and bearing,that was inside. if you smash the bolt with a hammer or mallet-it will shift to the other side. it is suppose to be like this? some free play? i guess it's suppose to be,otherwise-how they are going to move,right?

38cf63b5b80e.jpg

clueless, about what to expect or what i'm doing i set up a triple protection just in case. i placed a car jack stand under arm,used stand from HF,and on top of that-secured the bike with tie down straps :)
a bit overkill,but better be safe than sorry...
might be useful for those,who is installing links without center stand. using KenB idea-i placed a ratchet thru the center stand holes and lift the bike using a car jack(loose the bolts on links first!)

933fd445dd23.jpg

44c333a41ef4.jpg

0462307c26b9.jpg

I lowered mine a little over an inch. Then i bought a CTX700 side stand on eBay to replace the stock NC700 side stand.
The CTX700 stand is a little shorter and seems to give mine about the right amount of lean.

Dean

I lowered mine a little over an inch. Then i bought a CTX700 side stand on eBay to replace the stock NC700 side stand.
The CTX700 stand is a little shorter and seems to give mine about the right amount of lean.

Dean

you are mind reader!
Thanks for the info!
i was looking at it, just couple days ago at procaliber website,comparing CTX and NC stands,and it looks like it would fit perfectly.
my only concern was the switch, which looks a bit different from NC,but thanks for a conformation! ordering one now.
what about spring? do i need one from CTX or spring from NC will work?

Thanks!

I have a pair of Kouba Links for sale in the Bike Parts for Sale section of the Forum and just now lowered the price from $50 to $40, including free shipping to any US address.

Send me a PM if you're interested.

Last edited:
you are mind reader!
Thanks for the info!
i was looking at it, just couple days ago at procaliber website,comparing CTX and NC stands,and it looks like it would fit perfectly.
my only concern was the switch, which looks a bit different from NC,but thanks for a conformation! ordering one now.
what about spring? do i need one from CTX or spring from NC will work?

Thanks!
I used the NC spring.

Sent from my XT1650 using Tapatalk

Thanks Dlare!
the one i've ordered from ebay comes with CTX's OEM spring

DirtFlier- i made my own (see my previous posts here) long time ago and they worked very well (it's two pieces of metal with 2 holes in each,nothing special about it)
but i don't like the position of the bike on side stand after that (almost vertical) and i'm not sure how much to cut and i don't want to cut and weld again OEM stand anyway, so CTX's would be a perfect solution!

Thanks guys!

didn't work for me. way too low. i need something in the middle between OEM and CTX's1 014.jpg1 017.jpg1 018.jpg

attaching\uploading pictures is a royal pain for 21 century website\forum.

Last edited:
Back