• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

lowering

bulpup

Reaction score
Visit site
Hello everyone from New Jersey, USA! I just got the bike on Monday and have 400 miles on it commuting in and out of New York City.

Here is the thing, the dealer set it up really tall. I am on my tip toes if going through the Lincoln tunnel when it gets real slow and it kinda sucks.
I have been told that that can be fixed by simply unbolting the forks and rebolting them lower. I am very handy on certain thatngs, for instance I remvoved my Virago's engine and had the tops redone, but I am thinking I could have a real problem getting those forks rebolted evenly.

Any advice on this? I guy I know that does amateur races says I should only have to lower it about 2 mm to get about an inch lower. Does this make sense?

Hello there, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new toy.

My PERSONAL opinion on this is: do not lower a bike unless you REALLY REALLY have to.
I have seen some BMW 1200GS and F800GS, with ridiculously lowered settings. They should have just bought another bike.
Sorry, I am just being frank.

However, if you mean 2mm, that could be easily arranged with the front forks (as you mentioned) and dialing in the rear shocks with some turns on the preload. Hope you find a solution!
:D

Hello there, welcome to the forum and congrats on your new toy.

My PERSONAL opinion on this is: do not lower a bike unless you REALLY REALLY have to.
I have seen some BMW 1200GS and F800GS, with ridiculously lowered settings. They should have just bought another bike.
Sorry, I am just being frank.

However, if you mean 2mm, that could be easily arranged with the front forks (as you mentioned) and dialing in the rear shocks with some turns on the preload. Hope you find a solution!
:D

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I am definitelly not at the point where I would buy a kit to lower. It isn't that bad. I just need a tweak. I'll see what I can get with that.

Okay, I'll give it a shot. I am definitelly not at the point where I would buy a kit to lower. It isn't that bad. I just need a tweak. I'll see what I can get with that.

Hello bulpup

I am not a tall dude, and I do have to tiptoe a little.
My solution also involves getting a good pair of boots with some heels. That would probably help achieve your 1-inch requirement.
I recently bought these:
Ridge Waterproof Boot | Alpinestars

Now I can put 1 foot flat on the floor.
Again, I would not "mutilate" a perfectly setup bike, unless you REALLY REALLY have to.
:D Form and design is very important to me (personally).

Last edited:
My wife is 5'2" and this is her first bike. I dropped the front 1" in the forks, but she still can not flat foot the bike. I ordered an adjustable lowering kit from Soupys Performance. Kit claims to be adjustable to 4". I think 1" should put the bike where she needs it.

I need to set the bike up as comfortable as possible for her. Should make it easier to learn to ride.

I may be late to this post, but I lowered my NC700 in about 15 minutes. All it takes is lowering links on the rear shock, and nimble hands to lower the front forks. I lowered the bike 40 mm. Which is 1.575 inches Enough for my 30'' inseam to put both feet down. Cost was $90 ish with international shipping.

Changing the links, and lowering the forks changes the bikes geometry. Be aware of this. As I dropped the rear more than the front, it will tend to make the bike just a bit harder to lean in the turns, means I have to press a little more. Coincidentally, the bike likes to stay in a straight line easier.

My solution also involves getting a good pair of boots with some heels. That would probably help achieve your 1-inch requirement.
I recently bought these....
blue_and_silver_men_s_70s_ankle_boots.jpg

I recently bought these....
View attachment 1791

Hope you have a DCT, or the manual shifter is going to wear the sparkles off the left toe! :eek: You could lay a piece of red tape across the toe and it would look as though it belonged there.

Back