• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MadStad Sport SD - Medium Gray Tint and Clear

Thanks lamlamz. Maybe it's the picture of your bike that I saw, where they coexisted.

I already have a company on the line to see about powder coating them to match the silver on the bike. The silver looks way better than the black, IMHO. :cool:

I've trimmed many a windscreen following Lee's steps ... you really can make it look as good as OEM ....

If you don't have access to the flame to polish, after you fine sand --- use Novus Plastic Scratch Remover on the cut edges ...

896d9056-5312-431f-b403-957966d7eea7polish-set-2oz.jpg

Start with #3 Heavy --- Finish with #2 fine ....

A few minutes with a jigsaw would have the bottom end of the Adventure screen looking like the Sport. See my thread on trimming windshields. You'd just be trimming the bottom. Cut, file, sand, flame polish and no one would know it did not come that way.

BTW: I ordered one (light grey Adventure) just to see what the fuss is all about. If I don't like the Adventure shape it will definitely go on the operating table.

The thing about the Madstad shield system is they work like a much bigger shield, meaning the top of the shield is about up to your chin/lower lip, is the perfect height.

They way you can tell what size shield you need is,
1. print out the installation manual from the madstad site.
2. you can get a piece of paper cardboard cut it to the dimensions of the shield, in your case dim's of the 18" (they are listed on their site), shield last page shows a angle chart, hold the mock shield at the bottom of the stock shield and at that 55-60 degree angle and make sure that the top of the mock shield comes up to your chin/lower lip.
3. If is does not, Pull it up to your Chin/lower lip point, holding the 55-60 degree angle, then see where it is, in relation to the bottom of the stock shield, if there is any difference then you may need a taller shield

I taped the mock shield even with the bottom of the stock shield, then just move it out to the correct angle 55-60 degrees.

If you are 5'10" you may get the 20" and mount it in it's lowest position, once you mount it in the lower mounting holes,

Then just lower it all the way down.

But remember Mark at Madstad is good at sizing your shield, also this bike is more of a naked bike not a Goldwing that needs a GIANT shield, you look over this shield NOT through it.

Even though you are looking over it, it should still push most of the air blast over the top of your helmet, you may get some at the very top of your helmet but it wont be much.

Also, if you dont like the shield size you just bought, call mark, let him know you dont feel it is the right size he will do what ever you want, they have great customer service

Last edited by a moderator:
Thanks for all the info you guys put in here, after a very quick ride up the highway, I decided for any long term riding the taller OEM shield wont work to stop my bobble headed woes. Just ordered the 20" Sport from Madstad!

BTW the nut plates supplied by Madstadd I believe will only go in the bottom holes. I didn't try very hard but there is some interference to get them in upper holes.
+1 on this. They are also apparently a very soft aluminum. One of them was fine, but the other one would consistently cross-thread on mine, probably because the top didn't go in and made it uneven. I got to use it for the first time today and WOW what a difference. This is definitely a huge improvement over stock.

+1 on this. They are also apparently a very soft aluminum. One of them was fine, but the other one would consistently cross-thread on mine, probably because the top didn't go in and made it uneven. I got to use it for the first time today and WOW what a difference. This is definitely a huge improvement over stock.

The nut plates, or the screen?

I started to put the nut plates on yesterday, but decided not to. I got down the base plate and it was so ridiculously stable even pulling on it with all my might that I said to myself that it is just not worth the effort to replace the OEM well nuts.

Last edited:
Would you guys still recommend getting a set of dales nut plates. (if so, what size? 5mm or 6mm for the Madstad SD sport?). Or are the Standard well nuts and/or new lock nut kits supplied by madstad sufficient?

The plates Madstadd supplies are OK, and supposedly they have corrected problem with using them in upper position.

I personally believe using stock nuts a bad idea. There is a reason Honda supplies nut plates with there tall screen, backed up by a member here having a failure reusing stock nuts. Dale's nut plates are cheap insurance.

Just a couple of things about the MadStad SD Sport ...

It looks Good and works Great !

and not only that

It works Great and looks Good ! ...

well -- you get the idea ...

IMG_2137-C.jpg

Last edited:
.....There is a reason Honda supplies nut plates with there tall screen, backed up by a member here having a failure reusing stock nuts. Dale's nut plates are cheap insurance.

Agreed. I think I'll get them. As I don't have the shield yet I don't know if I need the 5mm or 6mm plate set. Does anyone know which I'd need for a 22" MadStad SD sport?

Back