• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MadStad Sport SD - Medium Gray Tint and Clear

Madstad Help!!!

Ive got the SD dark grey, 22 in, I have tried about 10 different angles and I am still getting buffeting at the top of my helmet. so much now that it actually gives me a headache. When I put my hand in the airflow i can feel it coming down right at the back of my helmet. Any ideas? I installed per the instructions...

You might want to post a pic of it installed and tell us your height and inseam.

Madstad Help!!!

Ive got the SD dark grey, 22 in, I have tried about 10 different angles and I am still getting buffeting at the top of my helmet. so much now that it actually gives me a headache. When I put my hand in the airflow i can feel it coming down right at the back of my helmet. Any ideas? I installed per the instructions...

I gotta wonder if the shield is too big and it's creating a vacuum behind it an causing the air to loop around you from the rear. I would talk to Mark at Madstad about this. I'd expect he can make it right.

Greg

When (if) does the buffeting stop or change appreciably? Like if you scrunch down, or sit up really tall, or lean way forward, or lean way back?

You might be able to narrow down your adjustment range needs by height or angle of attack. The least barn door straight up and down plane you can possibly adjust to, is where I would start. (even if raising the shield is required to make it tilt back as far as possible, I would do this) Can you add rubber washers and longer bolts at the lower two mounting points?

When (if) does the buffeting stop or change appreciably? Like if you scrunch down, or sit up really tall, or lean way forward, or lean way back?

You might be able to narrow down your adjustment range needs by height or angle of attack. The least barn door straight up and down plane you can possibly adjust to, is where I would start. (even if raising the shield is required to make it tilt back as far as possible, I would do this) Can you add rubber washers and longer bolts at the lower two mounting points?

All great questions, if I lean forward about 2 inches I'm in the sweet spot. However that's more of a tensed position for me, not viable for long distances.

To those awaiting your orders, I am positive I will get this fixed with the help at Madstad, their customer support was amazing the two times I already talked to them (once during ordering, and once during install. Once fixed I know I will love this windshield, because besides this one small section, the shield makes an amazing smooth pocket of air to ride in.

Got mine on yesterday (20'' sport, medium grey). Tried it coming to work this morning. Worked great! I am 5'6'' with short inseam (so longer torso) so I hesitated between the 18'' and the 20''. I raised the screen maybe 1'' from the lowest position, with the angle roughly at the recommended 60°. I hear some light turbulences at the top of my helmet, nothing more. The ride is so much quieter and relaxed.

On a funny note: This windshield reminded me of something and I could not pimpoint it. Then this morning it hit me: it looks so much like the device used when people make speeches to read their text scrolling on when looking at the audience. It reminds me so much of that thing (a teleprompter maybe?) that I was surprised this morning not to see any speech scroll by as I was riding to work :rolleyes:

Picture of myteleprompter:

IMG_00000209.jpg

Jean, the Running Turtle. NOT doing a speech on the road.

Fixed, I didn't realize how low the brackets had my windshield (feel like a bit of a dolt but that's okay, it's all about learning)

I'm trying raising one inch and will keep going up inch by inch till I find the sweet spot.

Madstad answered on the second d ring and we had a good chat about how to fix the problem (all of which I knew in principle just didn't see the functional fixes)
2ysebeza.jpg
just one inch hight from the lowest setting (which it was at)

Fixed, I didn't realize how low the brackets had my windshield (feel like a bit of a dolt but that's okay, it's all about learning)
Yep, as far as I'm concerned it is all about the learning. Not a day goes by that I don't pick up some bit-o-knowledge from this forum that, while I may not be able to use it today, I file away in my memory banks for future use. (Now if I just had a better filing system!)

As promised, the UPS guy brought my new MadStad windscreen Friday - but not until well after 7. First impression was that it was one honking big piece of plastic. I wanted to do the instl in the light (some day I'll get my garage sorted out and get some decent overhead fixtures hung) so waited until Saturday morning to put it on. I discovered MadStad has listened to their customers - maybe even read through the posts on this forum - as:
- They have cured the "I need three hands to simultaneously hold the mounting plate in place, hold the nut plate in place, and tighten the fastener." issue by putting a hole in the middle of the nut plate and including a plastic push in fastener that goes through the bottom, top hole on the bike into the nut plate.
- They have pre-assembled the nut plates with the bolt, nut, and necessary washers so it is obvious which way the nut plate goes (flat side against the bike) when assembling the mounting plate to the bike.​

It pretty much took me about 1/2 hour to do the complete job, thanks in no small part to what I have read on this forum. The directions (words and illustrations) were good as well and have been updated from what is on line to show the plastic push fastener. When I was done, as the directions suggested, I checked the height of the top of the screen to mid-chin and the 60 degree angle of the screen. Both exactly right on with no adjustment necessary. Even though the height is right where it should be, it will definitely take some getting used to after the 13" factory one.

Oservations relative to tools:
- An allen wrench is included for use in assembling the mounting plate to the bike but not one to remove the factory windscreen.
- The fasteners for attaching the windscreen itself to the brackets have a phillips head.
- A metric socket or wrench is required to tighten the brackets to the mounting plate.​
I find this is interesting as, why would I need an allen wrench when, if I'm taking off the factory windscreen, I must have a set of them. And, if I need an allen wrench, why wouldn't I need the proper wrench for the nuts (just a flat stamped one would do the job)? Most everyone has a phillips screwdriver so no issue there. These are of no real consequence, just interesting. I did, however have some parts left over. The parts supplied were more than what was shown in the bill-of-material.

Finally, went for a spin around town but, unfortunately, no further as still a lot of monsoon rain (and lightning) around and it was looking pretty dark. Like a number of others, I found myself going way faster than I though I was. I did have more air on my chest and blowing up under my helmet than I thought I would, however, not unpleasant. Looking forward to a more thorough trial when the weather is not so threatening.

well, I still have not figured it out, I have tried the one inch higher and even 2 and at both the windshield is easily 1/2 of my vision, I read some more on the site and I am led to believe that now it is too high. I just went out and adjusted to a 60deg angle and put it back at its lowest setting, im 6'0 and a 32 in inseam. The 70 mi ride to work tomorrow I am hoping to leave early to be able to stop and play with the angle if necessary, I also have a Shoei RF1100, with no windshield or the Honda touring I have never gotten this vibtation. Madstad is out of ideas except keep adjusting...

My experience has been the more you extend the windshield, the more vertical it needs to be. I'm just under 6 feet with a 31" inseam so our heads may be pretty much the same height above the seat. I have a 20" that is 1/4" above its lowest setting and just a bit shy of its maximum slope. I commute on the interstate and I do get flow on the top third of my helmet. Buffeting is too strong a word, though When I bring it vertical, I set it so that I can see over it at about 30 feet out. Less air but it seems like too much shield. in short, try the two extremes.

well, I still have not figured it out, I have tried the one inch higher and even 2 and at both the windshield is easily 1/2 of my vision, I read some more on the site and I am led to believe that now it is too high. I just went out and adjusted to a 60deg angle and put it back at its lowest setting, im 6'0 and a 32 in inseam. The 70 mi ride to work tomorrow I am hoping to leave early to be able to stop and play with the angle if necessary, I also have a Shoei RF1100, with no windshield or the Honda touring I have never gotten this vibtation. Madstad is out of ideas except keep adjusting...
I'm exactly your height and inseam with the 20" adventure model and mine works great. Maybe Mark can send you one like mine for testing. I look way over the top and see the ground about 25' out. Sorry it's not working out very well.

Just talked to Mark, he thinks from all my descriptions that the 22" is too big for me so he is sending the 20" my way hopefully will be here tomorrow, they might also be looking into a new windshield for us, one with fairings to deflect the wind coming under the turn signals up into our body

Just talked to Mark, he thinks from all my descriptions that the 22" is too big for me so he is sending the 20" my way....
I have the 22 as well (medium gray tint) and am working on getting used to the height - top is adjusted to be level w/my chin as the directions specify as a starting point. At that height I just feel some puffs of air on the top & sides of my helmet but the main stream passes just over the top. Adjusting it all the way down (3/4 inch) the air stream hits the top of my helmet. Adjusting up 1 inch from nominal reduces the puffs somewhat but not enough to leave it there. (I may change my tune on that after I get out on the interstate at 75 - although the difference between 55-ish and 70-ish does not seem appreciable.) What I do notice is a) quieter, b) the air that hits my chest/helmet is coming more from around the sides of the shield and is way down in velocity from the stock 13", and c) I can turn my head and not feel like the helmet is going to be ripped off. For the view, I liked the shield lower but, based on the 3/4 inch lowering test, am afraid I'd really be into the helmet buffeting others have talked about going to the 20 incher.

There is another thread on this forum along the line of "Where da bugs" and, yeah I know it refers to flaws in the bike but with the new shield "da bugs" are all over it and not a one on my helmet/face shield. ;)

There is another thread on this forum along the line of "Where da bugs" and, yeah I know it refers to flaws in the bike but with the new shield "da bugs" are all over it and not a one on my helmet/face shield. ;)

Exactly! Time for some Goo-Gone to clear out all the bugs. :)

My Madstad 22" sd dark Grey arrived yesterday. - WOOHOO!!!

madstad.jpg

Not the best pic but its only the 1st :)

First impressions:
Its F****n HUGE. - Then I put it on the bike and it looks great. I love it. Not nearly as big as I was worried about. Also the Dark grey compliments the white bike very nicely.

Madstad's service and shipping abroad:
Awesome and very helpful in every way.

Packaging and contents:
Very well packed and bubble wrapped. Included all the bits (including nut plates) that I was hoping to see. Even an allen key. Also the nut plates had an extra hole drilled to line up with one of the holes on the bike so you can tell you have the plates the right way around and positioned in the right place.

Install:
A little tricky, but mainly because my garage light is broken and I was insisting on doing it by torch!

After first use:
Impressed, but I'm still going to have to tweak the angle and hight a bit to get it right for me as this morning I got annoying buffering on the top of my head but that's after no attempt at any adjustments at all. I put it on last night and left it at that. This morning I just got on and went to work.

On the plus side, there is NO wind on my chest and face. I can turn my head easily without getting whiplash, I definitely won't need earplugs anymore and when I accelerate aggressively I don't feel like I'm about to unwillingly do an MX superman jump :) - So that's all good. - Hopefully when I adjust height and angle it will be perfect.

Back