• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Mid Life Crisis in Maryland

MD Auto Man

Reaction score
Visit site
53 and time for my mid life crisis. Can't afford my dream little red Corvette, and my wife says I can't afford to have an affair, but she has no problem with me getting a motorcycle, so here I am.

Passed my rider safety course at a local HD dealership and got my license in the Spring. After a few months of research and contemplating I've decided the NC700X DCT is the best bike for me. The seating position is perfect for me unlike the CTX and i know i will fell very safe and comfortable riding it. Now the fun part, shopping, begins Most likely looking at the 2016 with its upgrades over previous years models. Looking forward to searching the forum for ideas on good saddlebags and other accessories for this model. Hopefully meet some other owners in the MD area for rides. At 53 all I want to do is go for nice country road rides, enjoy the scenery and the riding experience, and have some nice week end trips. Really looking forward to being a member of this forum.

Welcome to the world of the NC. It's a terrific bike and it has a great following right here in this forum.

Farkling the bike is a big part of the fun for many. As for me, I farkled a lot when my bike was new, got it to the point where she (Skookum is her name) was just right for me and now I just spend time commuting and goofing off with her. I have about 15,000 miles on her and it's ALL been fun.

Again, Welcome!
Olythom

Welcome....It's never too late to ride a 2 wheeler. I have been riding for 41 years and now at age 57, I just purchased a used 2012 NC700X a couple of weeks ago. In my opinion you picked a great bike to enjoy the nice Maryland country roads. Ride safe and keep the rubber side down. Enjoy....Fernando

53 and time for my mid life crisis.

After a few months of research and contemplating I've decided the NC700X DCT is the best bike for me.
53? Don't fight the crisis, embrace and enjoy it!

Good luck with your search for a NC' DCT, I'm on my 3rd NC' and am spoiled by the DCT. Lots of NC's for sale on the forum here. Keep us up to date on your progress.

Ray

Welcome to the forum and to riding in general. There are many options for any accessories you might want. Look around and feel free to ask anything, lots of very helpful people on here

I returned to riding at age 55 after a 30 year absence. I love my DCT. When i bought mine, i made many farkles part of the deal. I researched best prices and the dealer gladly met those prices.

I got the Honda centerstand, aux wiring harness. Givi racks and cases and a shop manual with purchase. Later added a Madstad screen, Oxford heated grips, Seat Concepts saddle cover, Barkbusters, and a Dale rack. Happy with every addition.

Enjoy your rides.

Welcome to the forum and good luck with your new bike when you get it. The DCT NC is my sixth bike since I learned to ride at the age of 50, 13 years ago. I bought my bike new in July of 2014, the NC is my favorite so far. The DCT system is very engaging for me to use, I'm more aware of what gear I'm in than I've ever been before and now I don't have to worry about doing anything about it unless I want to. I love the way this bike rolls and love throwing it into corners.

I started riding at 56 and never looked back. I've ridden 5 bikes a total of 150,000 miles since.

Didn't consider it "mid-life" as I don't really expect to still be around at 112 years old.

Welcome - I too returned to the NC700 in my late 40's after about 25 years of not riding. I wanted to buy something not too fast and the DCT was a nice way to ease back in. I've owned it 3 years now and have really enjoyed my return to 2-wheel adventure.

The NC700x is not a perfect machine - I've got a thread on here considering moving on to a bigger and more expensive machine, but so far I'm just staying put. Not sure if you've even ridden before or not, but either way, keep in mind there are a WHOLE LOT of people not paying attention out there. WAY worse than when I rode 25 years ago. I highly recommend ATGATT riding, buying bright obnoxious colored helmet and gear and adding some extra rear braking lights.

Enjoy and welcome to the club!

Welcome - I too returned to the NC700 in my late 40's after about 25 years of not riding. I wanted to buy something not too fast and the DCT was a nice way to ease back in. I've owned it 3 years now and have really enjoyed my return to 2-wheel adventure.

The NC700x is not a perfect machine - I've got a thread on here considering moving on to a bigger and more expensive machine, but so far I'm just staying put. Not sure if you've even ridden before or not, but either way, keep in mind there are a WHOLE LOT of people not paying attention out there. WAY worse than when I rode 25 years ago. I highly recommend ATGATT riding, buying bright obnoxious colored helmet and gear and adding some extra rear braking lights.

Enjoy and welcome to the club!

+1 ^^^ What he said.
I wear ATGATT every time I ride. The one piece Aerostich suit I'm wearing in my avatar was purchased used on Ebay 8 years ago for far, far below what the retail price was at the time.

Thanks drdubb,

This is the kind of info I'm looking for on how to accessorize and improve the DCT one I have. I'm sure I'll find much of what I need once I start delving into the forum archives as well. Thanks.

+1 ^^^ What he said.
I wear ATGATT every time I ride. The one piece Aerostich suit I'm wearing in my avatar was purchased used on Ebay 8 years ago for far, far below what the retail price was at the time.

Great advice. I am a very defensive driver/ rider and the safety/ riders course I took made sure we were aware of numerous potential hazards amd situations and ways to avoid them. Great intructor who didn't didn't blow,any smoke when it came to rider safety and dangers. Thanks.

Welcome to the forum. At age 61, I have been riding the NCDCT almost 2 years. You will love this bike. After 40+ years of riding, I too recommend ATGATT.

I am like you. I rode off road as a young man, then nothing for thirty years.
There are fewer drunk drivers now, but I would say there are more texters now than there were drunks then.
The advantage is texters are usually not aggressive, just oblivious.
I usually wear a high viz airbag vest, a white helmet, and extra lights. Each helps.

Don't go crazy farkling at first.
You will find some parts interact with others in strange ways, like handguards and windshield.

These are some of my farkles.
Since making this I have added the turn signals in the handguard.

Honda NC700x DCT Additions and modifications. Oklahoma Hank. - YouTube

I'm 54 and have been riding almost every day for the past 9 years and have been wanting to switch to the adventure-style of bike for a while. The past few years my commute has become very bad, dealing with West L.A. streets and the 405 in rush hours. Makes me kind of miss the few years when I was working first shift (4AM-1PM) and didn't have to do the battle that I have to go through 5 days a week. Riding a Ninja 650 sportbike, I was becoming a bit aggressive, taking chances and the new NC700DCT just seems so much more relaxed. Not having to hold the clutch in for a minute at a signal while waiting for the cager in front of me to commit to his left hand turn is so nice!
I'm looking forward to taking trips and being able to enjoy the ride and not have to worry about my shifting, which I pretty much sucked at anyway! I started on scooters way back in the mid-1980's, so maybe I'm just not meant to use a clutch!

I am like you. I rode off road as a young man, then nothing for thirty years.
There are fewer drunk drivers now, but I would say there are more texters now than there were drunks then.
The advantage is texters are usually not aggressive, just oblivious.
I usually wear a high viz airbag vest, a white helmet, and extra lights. Each helps.

Don't go crazy farkling at first.
You will find some parts interact with others in strange ways, like handguards and windshield.

These are some of my farkles.
Since making this I have added the turn signals in the handguard.

Honda NC700x DCT Additions and modifications. Oklahoma Hank. - YouTube

I haven't even bought the bike and now you have me spending over $3k on farkels. Just Kidding! Great Youtube video and definitely the kind of info I want on upgrading. Looking to pull the trigger on a 2015 Red Nc700x DCT soon, and it will definitely need farkles. Thank you for your info!

Back