• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

More on Chains, Sprockets...

I don't get it. You made almost 20k miles on original parts. Isn't that good?
You can get e.i. from PartsFish.com OEM rear sprocket for $40.13, drive sprocket for $35.09 and chain ( DID520V0-120ZB or RK520MKO-120LJ-FZ) for $126.
How much do you expecting to save?

I'd expect to save plenty! A VX2 for $72 from Amazon is a better chain than OEM for $50 less. Amazon.com: DID 520VX2-114 X-Ring Chain with Connecting Link: Automotive

BTW, that's the length for a manual; not sure about DCT.

Last edited:
Maybe up to $80.00. Honda quoted me $180 for the chain alone which I thought was ridiculous. Ultimately I decided to buy a heavier duty chain for $100 from Sprocket Center in hopes that it will last a little longer. Anyone have experience with RK chains?

Last edited:
View attachment 22958
And kinked links...also look at the sprockets in this pic

The rear sprocket is in pretty good shape for 20,000 miles. I also think this is the highest mileage to date that I have heard anyone getting from an NC chain. The chain is obviously knackered and is in the same condition mine was at 14,000 miles when I changed it. Rear sprockets are generally not a problem as they are so much bigger than the front. I suspect your front sprocket will be in very poor shape indeed and possibly close to losing a couple of teeth. That is probably also where the metal shavings are coming from.

Last edited by a moderator:
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

I agree..........thats why I asked for a picture in post #8.
Severe hooking on the rear is rare if not impossible at low mileage.
It is possible that many of the NC sprockets are being replaced too early and wasting money.
The kinky and sticky chain links are the real issue at these lower mileages.
We do not need to revisit the chain and spocket replaced as a set discussion. I am still in the sprocket every other chain.........and the front will show wear long before the rear.

As far as the metal dust on the OP bike.........rear wheel ( chain) alignment is a suspect.

If your interested to see what hooking looks like........
Here is a link to really worn rear sprockets:

http://www.advrider.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1047162

Last edited:
The first time I changed my sprockets I lined the old up with the new so I could see the wear. They barely looked like the same part, the teeth didn't line up, it made me wonder if the new sprocket would even work. It really surprised me how much the old sprocket had changed over the course of wear.

Front Sprocket 19.5k miles

The first time I changed my sprockets I lined the old up with the new so I could see the wear. They barely looked like the same part, the teeth didn't line up, it made me wonder if the new sprocket would even work. It really surprised me how much the old sprocket had changed over the course of wear.

So here's the factory front sprocket. You can see the shiny edges where the chain was causing metal small metal shavings. It was time for the original sprockets and chain to go. Front sprocket and RK O ring chain came from Sprocket Center. Rear sprocket for DCT (39T) came from BikeBandit in San Diego. All parts arrived at the same time so I lucked out.Sprocket.JPG

Yes, there's a bit of misalignment. The teeth are in remarkably good shape, though. Basically no discernible hooking, and still a very good/usable profile for nearly 20k miles.

I must admit I am also surprised at how good the teeth are for the mileage

by the way your chain looked very dry, how often are you lubing your chain?

the more you lube the less adjustment is needed and the more the chain and sprockets will lass

by the way your chain looked very dry, how often are you lubing your chain?

the more you lube the less adjustment is needed and the more the chain and sprockets will lass

I must admit I was curious about that aspect also ?

I had 32,000 miles on my bmw G650gs before I changed the sprockets and chain. The chain was still good, and the front sprocket had no discernable wear (lined up with the new sprocket); however, the back sprocket looked like a Ninja throwing star, no hooking but very sharp points. The only reason I changed all 3 was because I got a great deal on the set and I had to replace the rear sprocket anyways. I have 18,000+ miles on my nc700x and the sprockets/chain are in very good shape (I will take picture later).

Back