• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

MSF BRC2 course

robnpat

Site Supporter
Reaction score
Visit site
Been looking at online videos & watching the Motorman DVDs to help me with slow, tight turns. It was something practiced at BRC, but I didn't think it was too important. How wrong I was. I have a difficult time making 90 degree or more slow turns, & can't help the fact that I feel like I'm gonna drop it. I know about the "turn your head & eyes to where you want to go", but I still can't do it. So last night, I was looking at other courses that would be perfect, & there is a MSF course at a local votech school that is offering a BRC2 course, & the student uses his/her bike to practice many of the maneuvers that we did in the BRC course, plus more. So, I signed up. I go in April & am real excited to get help with this. I just can't wait :cool:. Anyway, just thought I'd share that, & am not ashamed in my lack of skill in that area.

hmmm...I took the basic course, as it was called back then, but never the advanced. I'm not sure the BRC2 that you're referring to is considered the advance class, but I have heard the advance is a fairly agressive course (that's why you get to use your bike!). I could be all wrong here, but I'd research that and make sure you're gonna be comfortable with it. I would recommend taking the basic again and keep practicing on your own...you'll get the hang of it as confidence builds.

Nope, this course is set up to review techniques that was taught in BRC, and no classrooms. From msf website: Basic RiderCourse 2 - Skills Practice (BRC2-SP) [formerly ERC Suite]
Similar to BRC2 - License Waiver RiderCourse, but consists of only the riding exercises. It is a perfect way to reinforce basic skills on one's personal motorcycle. Passengers are permitted with a licensed operator on a personal motorcycle. And, this was the basic description of the course at the votech. I saw some YouTube videos on BRC2, and they were demo'ing all techniques, which were the same ones from BRC, but with your bike

Last edited:
I took that MSF course back in Jan, here in AZ.. I have had the basic and advanced, but this was a perfect review. Helps one get more familiar with the bike!

Can't beat recurrent training! Smart move!

Bike cornering and braking techniques on this video
One of them ride an NC700X.
When I started to ride we were suggested a book about motorcycle physics and behaviour, how and what to do. It is very good to get the neccessary knowledge but the practice is also very important.
So your sentence is right : don't be ashamed if you have lack of skills. Practice and ride safe. It can save your or others life.

This book i have in ebook format is written only in hungarian but I think you can also find similar ones.

Good for you robnpat! If more riders would set their egos aside and get some formal training we would see fewer wrecks and deaths. Seasoned riders tend to get complacent but when/if they finally break down and take an advanced course, it is somewhat humbling. Regardless of what some "think" their skill set is, a formal skill tune up every couple of years is money and time well spent. We tune up and perform maintenace on our bikes, we should do it to our skills too. It is also recommened that you take an ERC after you get a few miles on a new-to-you bike. Even if you only pickup one or two new skills or ideas, they could very well be what you need to save your life.

Looking forward to meeting you this year and getting in a few rides.

WGW

Last edited:
I applaud taking any MSF or advanced course to learn and review the fundamentals but the course is limited in time and covers a lot in a single day. Take that and go with it.

I don't guess you are riding now due to season, I think I remember your bike is in storage until spring but what will make U turns comfortable is repeated practice, practice, practice. I almost always practice a full lock both ways and figure 8 turn on every ride, usually in front of my house when I return. It keeps the skill fresh.

Thanks all. Haven't got too much practice lately (winter storm here in Missouri, and bitter cold). As soon as I get help on the correct technique from this class (in-person instead of videos), that will put me more at ease and then I can practice in a local bank parking lot on weekends. I'd practice this on my own, but like I said, I am very afraid I'd drop it because I won't know if I am doing something wrong; I'd rather do this first infront of an expert (such as a RiderCoach) and they tell me what I should have done or that I did it just fine.

And wgw, looking forward to doing some riding with ya, too. I just wish it would warm up :cool:

Rob

The eyes are the best balancing system you have. The conscious mind cannot balance a bike. That is why the eyes have to be up. When riding you well notice it takes almost no bar movement to balance the bike. Same when riding slow. Move the bars for slow turn, all most to the lock, (after a lot of practice) then balance. If you feel the bars move (much) you are over controlling. Good luck.

I REALLY wish they stressed this in the BRC course (they probably did; I didn't THINK it was important). I kick myself now for not focusing more on this.

There are several important techniques, that were not told at the driving license course. Ex. at low speed turns how to balance the bike to avoid stall. Low speed cruising without keeping both boots down. When I read that book and realized the physics it started to work at once. All I had to do is keep practicing over and over to get the necessary routine. Now I can make a U turn safely and quick, countersteering, etc.
But I never overestimate my skills.

I took the course here in Oregon but didn't find it all that helpful. All the information given in the classroom portion of the course you could glean from carefully reading the DMV motorcycle manual. In the field (riding) portion the instructors were not all that helpful. They explained the different maneuvers we were supposed to perform, but didn't say anything about how to handle the bike in performing the maneuvers. I found the most help in the Motorman DVD "How to Ride Like a Pro." Once he explained the 3 fundamentals of head and eyes up, using the friction zone and the proper use of the rear brake, and then actually showed these in operation, I went out and practiced them on the street by my house. One of the key things he said that gave me confidence in slow maneuvers was that "as long as you have power to the rear wheel the bike will not go down." After watching this DVD I went down to the DMV office with my measuring tape and measured all the different parts of the skills course. Then I came home and duplicated them on the street using sidewalk chalk. (My neighbors probably wondered what an old guy was doing drawing lines in the street with chalk, but no one called the men in white coats.) Then I just practiced and practiced until I had them down.

I am sure the courses vary from state to state, and I'm glad many have had a good experience where they have taken them. I just wish the Oregon group had been a little more diligent in their instruction.

As it were told, the trick is, to give a little power to make the bike move forward and meanwhile push the rear brake gently. It creates stronger pulling force than that gravity, which would pull sideway the bike.
I'll have to test it on my DCT as soon as I bring it home. We still have 3 degree Celsius, rain and snow....

The MSF was teaching the rear brake and power method back when I took my first class in 1982, and I still use this today. With a deft touch on the rear brake, clutch and throttle you can all but look like you have stopped and maneuver the bike around at crazy slow speeds without any feeling of a loss of control. This is something that all new riders should learn.

Back