• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Nc headlights

johnakay

Site Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Visit site
yesterday afternoon we went for a ride out for dinner in whiteby and popped in to see my eldest sister.
without being morbid she has been given 18 months to live so we try and get to visit her often as we can.
on coming home it was dark and ridden through country roads etc.
and I found that the main beam is useless ,it was just all over the place.
I had to put it on dip.
is every body find that on NC the same?

Half of my ride to work is on backroads that do not have lights. I don't ride without the high beam when it's dark. Obviously I switch them off when an oncoming car approaches but they immediately get switched back on. I had never really thought about it but I would have to say I feel the same way.

I don't like the main headlight on the nc. I have aux lights made by denali (led kind). The aux lights while riding in low beam is at half bright, however when I turn on the high beam the aux lights go 100% full bright.
It does help when riding at night.
I may upgrade my main headlight in the future.

Ken

the "dim" setting is OK for country roads with no lighting, and the brights light it up even better. No complaints there.
Both lights are adequate.

I'd love to wire in some denali lights (or a cheap facimilie) how did you mount them, and where did you wire them in?

Last edited:
I raised my headlight one turn with the adjusting screw on the back side. I found out this weekend that it is worse and will have to lower it. I'm going to look for a bright bulb if there is such a thing for the nc. I run with my brights all the time in the daytime and most of the time at night and don't want to add aux. lights just to see at night.

I'm going to look for a bright bulb if there is such a thing for the nc.

As some know, I 86'ed the stock set-up for an HID projector supplemented with two Rigid Dually LED spots and two Rigid Dually D2 driving lights. If you go looking for brighter bulbs, I would caution against high wattage bulbs or HID bulb retrofits. The high wattage bulbs almost invariably cause heat problems in the reflector / lens assembly or overpower the stock wiring. The LED retrofits do not have the correct light patterning because the focal height of the HID "burners" is different from the halogen / filament bulbs.

You might get somewhere with the PIAA "Xtra" technology which claims increased light output for the same wattage by increasing bulb efficiency. Some say "yes" most say "no".

Last edited:
I like to see what is in front of me not above and all round.
the main beam seems to spread the light alround not good in my opinion.
it should be like the dip beam only further up the road.
the best headlight I've experience was on my old yamaha Fazer600.

IMG_1153.jpg

The lights are Denali D2s from Twisted Throttle. Pretty pricey, but very good, I have them wired in so that they run at 40% intensity with the running lights, but go 100% with the highbeam.

I have the Honda sub-harness installed, and that provided the wiring for this without having to tap into the main wiring harness around the headlight.
They came with two sets of reflectors, 10° and 25°, I'm running the 10° right now, and they throw a lot of light forward, however there is a lot of wildlife where I live, so I'm thinking I'll try the 25° soon, and get more light to the sides.

The lights are mounted on the (black powder coated) Honda light bar with Techmount/PIAA universal mounting brackets

What you can't see in this picture is the Bi-Xenon HID Projector headlight conversion.

I need to get some more up to date pictures!
Been busy riding with the wife and her new toy.

I consider my low beam to be adequate for not blinding oncoming traffic at night. All other times my hi beam is on, all day and when I do not have on coming traffic at night.

I like to see what is in front of me not above and all round.
the main beam seems to spread the light alround not good in my opinion.
it should be like the dip beam only further up the road.
the best headlight I've experience was on my old yamaha Fazer600.
The NC rear spring isn't the stiffest...........how much do you weigh and maybe this is why all the airplane pilots nearby are complaining you are blinding them? I only say this because the headlight on the NC is pretty good for me. I have no complaints but I am typically parked when the porch light comes on.

The NC rear spring isn't the stiffest...........how much do you weigh and maybe this is why all the airplane pilots nearby are complaining you are blinding them? I only say this because the headlight on the NC is pretty good for me. I have no complaints but I am typically parked when the porch light comes on.

+1

(no sense words here to complete the minimum required)

I don't find that the high beam on my S is lacking, if anything I think it may be better than the lights on my truck. But thats 1996 vs 2012. My biggest issue with seeing what's in front of me is the attraction between bugs and my helmet visor.

Lighting is relative. My wife's previous Honda Shadow had a horrible headlight on it. The NC headlight is much better and the wife is happy now.

You might get somewhere with the PIAA "Xtra" technology which claims increased light output for the same wattage by increasing bulb efficiency. Some say "yes" others say "no".

I've been running the Osram Nightbreaker Plus bulbs in my FJR1300 and they put out noticeably more light at the same wattage as stock bulbs. The original Nightbreakers I used only lasted 9 months and 1 year for the 2 bulbs I installed on my dual headlight system. The replacement Nightbreaker PLUS bulbs have been going for 2 years and 1year/9 months. A little more expensive, but worth it in my opinion.

I consider my low beam to be adequate for not blinding oncoming traffic at night. All other times my hi beam is on, all day and when I do not have on coming traffic at night.

I would never go without driving lights again, the Denali'sNC700X  1 003.jpg are super bright with the flood lens.

I quite like the pattern of the NCX headlight. I would like more total light output, but that's a consequence of a single headlight vs 2 or 3 or 4, not of the pattern it throws. I appreciate the lateral spread both for help seeing around corners and also for seeing errant game, birds, tarantulas, and gila monsters coming into my path from the side. Some vertical spread is also nice for hills and for cornering, since a bike leans into a corner.

Are American-market and European-market headlights the same?

I played with my headlight adjustment tonight and had to lower my light 4 full screwdriver turns on the adjusting pinion ( page #98 in owners manual ) just to get the light to shine on the road. The part # on my bulb is 94193 HD its a 60/55 watt. I'm guessing this is the same used in Honda cars and there should be lots of options with the same wattage. I see hotrod Civics with the white headlights, I think I will look into what bulbs they are using. My problem at night is deer crossing the road in front of me.

weight has bugger all to do with it but I know what you mean.
our atmosphere during colder months is a little on the damp side and this might be the cause of it.
what you've got to remember is that our country roads are a lot narrower than what you USA guys have.
most of them have hedges to which think give off dampness etc.
the dip is perfect fine but main beam doesnt have any particular focus .
all I get is alround light..to much spread and its not up in the air.
I seldom ride at night now since working for myself so maybe its no big deal.
just thought I'd ask to see if any one else has notice this.

Back