• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC-X = Not allowed to buy a BMW

I don't know about the rest of you, but one thing that I never stop thinking about is getting hit from behind while stopped at a light. I always check my mirrors in constant worry.
Watching mirrors even when engaging brakes within a column of vehicles. Always trying to figure out escape lane.
I am very lucky about the fact that most of the time I will take small country backroads with very low traffic at any time. Having to ride big crowded roads, traffic jam, stop&go, inner cities, whatever would most likely make myself stop using a motorcycle in favour of public transport.

After awhile, I finally learned that changing lanes required a hole in the other lane larger than my car and a VERY LAST SECOND turn signal - usually as I was moving over. If I switched on my turn signal too soon (defined as being while I was still completely in my original lane), the gap would go away before I could move into it. I grew up in Chicago (a northern US city, for those of you unfamiliar with US geography) and learned to drive there. Phew! I'm not really sure anymore how I lived long enough through all that Chicago traffic to ever get old enough to join the Army.

I grew up in Chicagoland.

Buddy of mine from MN moved down there for a job, so I went to visit him at one point.

We decided to go down to the south side (suburbs, where I grew up) go get some pizza. I had the I-Pass so I jumped on the Tollway and headed down to the other side of town (He didn't believe in toll roads since he could get around without them). Somewhere on the Tri-state we got passed by a squad car, no lights on or anything... I made a comment to the effect of "man he must be in a hurry"
My friend asked how fast he was going, I guessed ~90mph. My friend then asked how fast I was going... ~75-80 mph... Then he asked what the speed limit was here, I think it was 50-55 mph on that stretch... My friend was floored that a squad car would just drive past us when we were doing 20-30 mph over the speed limit...
I had to explain the concept of "keeping up with traffic" and "not blocking the flow of traffic" especially when it's a squad car, and that "On the tollway the same rules don't really apply"

We didn't even do an toll plaza's like the good ol' days, toss in your 40 cents and then as soon as the gate opens merge 10-20 lanes of traffic to 2-4 lanes, all while doing your fastest 0-60 time...

Another friend of mine from MN was with me when we made our way through rush hour downtown... he was surprised and confused to see the "accident investigation areas" particularly after we watched a fender bender in front of us, and neither car stopped, until they managed to pull into the area where the cops were waiting for them...

Chicago is definitely its own kinda place on the roads... but everywhere has it's quirks (if you are ever in MN watch out for traffic merging on the the highway)

Buddy of mine from MN moved down there for a job, so I went to visit him at one point.

We decided to go down to the south side (suburbs, where I grew up) go get some pizza. I had the I-Pass so I jumped on the Tollway and headed down to the other side of town (He didn't believe in toll roads since he could get around without them). Somewhere on the Tri-state we got passed by a squad car, no lights on or anything... I made a comment to the effect of "man he must be in a hurry"
My friend asked how fast he was going, I guessed ~90mph. My friend then asked how fast I was going... ~75-80 mph... Then he asked what the speed limit was here, I think it was 50-55 mph on that stretch... My friend was floored that a squad car would just drive past us when we were doing 20-30 mph over the speed limit...
I had to explain the concept of "keeping up with traffic" and "not blocking the flow of traffic" especially when it's a squad car, and that "On the tollway the same rules don't really apply"

We didn't even do an toll plaza's like the good ol' days, toss in your 40 cents and then as soon as the gate opens merge 10-20 lanes of traffic to 2-4 lanes, all while doing your fastest 0-60 time...
Another friend of mine from MN was with me when we made our way through rush hour downtown... he was surprised and confused to see the "accident investigation areas" particularly after we watched a fender bender in front of us, and neither car stopped, until they managed to pull into the area where the cops were waiting for them...

Chicago is definitely its own kinda place on the roads... but everywhere has it's quirks (if you are ever in MN watch out for traffic merging on the the highway)

1981 - five of us in my cousin Cheryl's 1980 Chevrolet Chevette on our way to Mariott's Great America amusement park. The horror.

I just moved from Decatur IL. Made many trips to Chicago. There is so much road work in the downtown area it is tought to get around. If your not actually from there and know the short cuts you could easily get lost because several roads are closed off. I have driven downtown at least 15 times and still get turned around.

Since we did not live there I did not have an I-Pass. I was one of the people doing my fastest 0-60.

Love Chicago!

I took a trip to Chicago in the Glendale Heights area while touring UTI's campus for college. They drive nut's down there. And while lane splitting at 90 mph is common in 55 mph zones, they do it with cars and trucks.

I ride 12 miles each way to work down 2 lane beautiful country roads, crossing a couple of rivers and lots of corn, soy bean and hay fields. All I have to look out for is deer and farm equipment:) Oh the humanity!

Sam:)

... All I have to look out for is deer and farm equipment:) Oh the humanity!

Since leaving the army, I've lived in southern Arizona. A lot of my riding is now on rural roads, with mostly cotton growing on the farmland. Once that's left behind, most of the land is used for ranching, and a lot of it is open range. I've only rarely had to slow down or stop to avoid cattle on the road. Never had any trouble with any of them, just needed enough patience to let them pass on by. However, the cow pies they leave behind are usually much tougher to avoid. I think they save it up for when they cross the roads - maybe walking on the hard pavement joggles their digestive tracks just right. It's worth noting that even with a fender extender on the front, I've managed to get my boots spattered once in awhile. Joy!

Sometimes going through Atlanta is how to get where I need to be such as going to get my suspension upgraded next week. Don't look forward to it but nothing to be afraid of. Hitting a deer between home and Atlanta is actually a more likely accident.

54_12419.jpg

Right before the US economy went in the toilet I went into a BMW dealer and asked (just asked) if they would take a Honda in trade. I wanted a F800gs and had a F650GS to trade along with a 1300 cc Honda cruiser with 400 miles on it (that's a whole 'nother story you'll have to ask my wife about). I did not mention the BMW I had and they didn't remember me from the multiple service visits I'd made. They sneered at me. Literally. So I walked out. I see they are selling used Hondas NOW. They'd probably take a run-over rabbit in trade at this point now that they lost their Triumph and Ducati dealership. I sold the cruiser on CL for peanuts and bought a DRZ dirt bike. I still have the BMW but have not ridden it since I bought the NC700X. I am at a loss what to do with it. I'd trade it for a Ural, having some excess cash now and am willing to give my wife a second chance at motorcycling (she still has the leathers), but that would involve going to the BMW dealer. I would sooner send the F650GS to the landfill.

We had a dealer like that here.....there's a honda sign on the building now.....justice!

How the mighty have fallen!

Maybe your area just didn't have enough Starbucks for BMW owners to ride to so they had trouble selling them.

That is an awful story, and I am sure that BMW HQ would love to hear it.

I have owned nothing but BMWs until I took my wife for a test ride on Gold Wing. We both loved it. When she, or anyone riding pillion, was on my Beemers it was top heavy. The Gold Wing is "her" bike.

Now that I have a second bike, the NC is fabulous, and my Wing sits and collects dust.

Maybe he was hoping you would have gotten mad and proved him wrong by giving him a quick sale. The local Dodge dealer scum try scams like that. I would just go to the next dealer and mail him a photo of you enjoying your new purchase from another dealer. Or just take a picture of yourself on a friends bike and mail it, same effect. lol

We'll I'm surprised at the scandalous response from the salesman. Worth a complaint to the dealership me thinks...
I was in conversation at one point with a BMW dealer in the UK who was fine dealing with me and my NC. ( I made an enquiry about another machine which didn't go through).
They definitely weren't damn right rude like this chap.

Last edited:
I am absolutely shocked at such behaviour from a sales person. I genuinely believe that the BMW distributors should be made aware of this. I am not a BM fan but I would be very surprised if their marketing people condoned this sort of behaviour.

Back