• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT for First Time Rider?

Hey Jarett. I too am looking at the Africa Twin as well as the VFR1200X...leaning toward the VFR. I returned to riding after many years away and went with the NC700X. Took it on a 500 Miler and thought (still think) it is a little too light. If by chance you have the opportunity to continue to post your experience with the AT it would be great. EIther way, have fun, be safe, and enjoy! Very nice looking bike by the way.

I was thinking about the VFR as well, but I watched several review videos and they pushed me towards the Africa Twin. Even the salesfolks at the dealerships I talked to suggested AT over VFR. These videos really highlight the differences between them.

[video=youtube;AnqVpMQdrDU]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AnqVpMQdrDU[/video]

[video=youtube;aCOY7WIOJrI]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=aCOY7WIOJrI[/video]

Around 13:35 of the VFR video, he says something like, "Why buy the VFR when you can get the AT for less?"

Everyone I've talked to has been positive about the AT and down on the VFR for various reasons. On paper, the VFR seems more like the type of bike I'd enjoy, but I just went with the reviews and got the AT.

What made you feel like the 700x was too light?

Last edited:
Hey Jarett. I too am looking at the Africa Twin as well as the VFR1200X...leaning toward the VFR. I returned to riding after many years away and went with the NC700X. Took it on a 500 Miler and thought (still think) it is a little too light. If by chance you have the opportunity to continue to post your experience with the AT it would be great. EIther way, have fun, be safe, and enjoy! Very nice looking bike by the way.
Paradoxically I think the opposite about the weight. The NC700X is pretty heavy at 472/500 lbs depending on transmission yet feels and handles like a bike 100-150 lbs lighter. It’s very stable at 70-100 mph and isn’t much affected by crosswinds or dirty air in traffic. The best 17” and 19” street rubber fits the NC and 1200X unlike the 21” front 18” rear on the AT. At speed bias ply 21” tires track terribly on crappy and grooved pavements. I’d prefer the 1200X over the AT if I was looking at these. I was very excited when Honda brought the 1200X stateside but it’s not a replacement for my ST. If the ST ever wears out I might well find a 1200X.

Apparently these are Africa Twins they and seem to handle ok at high speed and corners:

[video=youtube;CSBR5DrYdMw]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CSBR5DrYdMw[/video]

Track starts around 5min in on this one.
[video=youtube;GMuLxRQ22fA]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=GMuLxRQ22fA&t=370s[/video]

That's much faster than I'll ever be riding mine personally.

Guy Martin could ride anything anywhere faster than 99.9% of all riders but that does not change facts and physics one iota. I’ll grant you the benefit of 100 miles experience under your belt and leave it at that.

Update, 3 weeks into mc ownership and 1337 miles on the bike. Got the break in oil change out of the way and also cleaned and lubed the chain.

I'm hooked. Finally starting to feel like things are clicking a bit more when I ride. I'm definitely glad I went with the Africa Twin, its a cool bike. I'm enjoying it on and off the road. I need to wash it actually as its covered in mud from some muddy roads I went down over the weekend.

The power is not too much for me at this point. Very similar feeling to my old supercharged jet skis. I actually kinda wish it was a little quicker and that I had gotten the 1200cc, but realistically, this is all the performance I need on pavement.

I was on call this weekend, so had to stay close to the house. I went and found some muddy backroads to play on:

20180505_114532.jpg

Then went out to the lake:

20180505_114611.jpg

Then out to a small town nearby to meet some buddies for a breakfast taco:

20180505_114814.jpg

I was on call this weekend, so had to stay close to the house. I went and found some muddy backroads to play on:

20180505_114532.jpg

Then went out to the lake:

20180505_114611.jpg

Then out to a small town nearby to meet some buddies for a breakfast taco:

20180505_114814.jpg

Sounds like you got the right machine for what you want to do with ‘er!

NC700X is a bit tall for a beginner bike. If you are 5'10" and up, it should be good.

I think automatics are great for beginners.
Way safer IMHO.

I started on a Yamaha TMAX 500. Amazing maxi scooter!
I wish the Honda Integra is available here.

You do have engine braking. I've done a lot of miles in mountain twisties and find that I am seldom in the wrong gear. The NC is smarter than I am.

Well after all that, I bought a NC700X yesterday :)

Attach44073_20180615_214955.jpg

$3500 - 5300 miles. Seemed like too good of a deal to pass up.

Congratulations. That is a fantastic deal! Was that from the private seller down in Spring? Man, he really came off on the price. I was looking at that one. ;)

Yep, that's him. He and his wife are leaving the country for work and he needed to move it fast.

I couldn't pass it up.

The really interesting thing is that he and his wife were coming to my town last weekend anyway.

So they were able to drop the bike off at my house on the way. Seemed like fate :)

Great deal! Has some extras on it, too! Congrats

Yeah, he said it has the OEM crash bars, tall shield, wind somethings on the side, top case, center stand. Fairly well equipped.

Looks like it needs a back tire soon, but otherwise appears to be in great condition. Garage kept, less scratches on it than my other bike :)

I'm surprised how quick it is. I did a short pull up to 82 mph on my road yesterday. Didn't think it would get there that quickly.

Also, is DCT dangerous? I read people say, "it downshifts in corners" or "without the clutch, I can't engine break" and things like that.

Does not having that clutch control make the bike inherently more dangerous to ride than a traditional bike?

I've also read here that you can't really accelerate past 70 on the highway to pass well. Is that an issue?

I can answer these questions now.

DCT is not dangerous, in fact, I'd argue it adds quite a bit of safety over a standard clutch setup.

Also, they lied to me! I read that the NC700X lacks the power to pass on the highway. That's BS.

I'm 260 lbs and was getting on the highway yesterday and got behind a slow moving 18 wheeler. I really wanted to go around, but there was a line of cars coming up on the left doing 70+ mph. On my Africa Twin, I wouldn't have thought twice about it as I know it has gobs of power in that situation, but on the NC700X, I almost didn't try it, but I did.

I looked down and was doing about 60 mph behind the 18 wheeler. I flipped on my blinker and pinned the throttle, next thing I noticed was the speedometer going 86, 87, 88 mph as I merged over in front of the 18 wheeler. I looked in my side mirror and the line of cars were fairly far back and starting to come up around the 18 wheeler. I had just ran off from the pack.

Even with a guy my size on it, this NC700X has plenty of power enough to make clean passes on the highway.

Back