• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700X DCT Won't Start

I can see no problem from cutting the bike off routinely from the "engine stop" switch followed by turning off the ignition switch to prevent battery drain.

That's my normal sequence. I've not had any problems. Now, the ignition switch and key--that's a whole 'nother kettle of fish.

"Do motorcycles have Tip-Over-Switches that would shut them off automatically when not upright? I have no idea."

ATV's have angle sensors, but motorcycles do not. However, there are a lot of sensors that can drive you nuts on a motorcycle . But they are better than driving away with the kick stand still down. Done that a few times on my 78 Goldwing, and the ride'em cowboy rodeo begins quickly.
I have dropped my bike twice when it was near stop and my handle was fully turned. Both times the engine cut off by itself. I ride the NC700 DCT.

Thanks. I think the thing was the combination problem, because when it first would not start the battery was fully charged fresh. By the time I tried moving the bike which fixed the first problem, I probably already drained the battery enough to not start.

Just going to only kill it when it neutral from now on, as recommended above.

Rick
Wow, I am glad I spent time reading this thread.
I own a DCT for just over 5 weeks and have never put it to N whenever I park the bike.
To me, it makes sense to put it to N before turning the engine off with the key since the DCT starts working when the key is turned on to reset the gear to N and this work needs battery power.
As the battery ages, and there is no voltmeter on the NC700, it is difficult to tell the condition of the battery whenever I start the bike.

Another variation on the reason to routinely use the kill switch to stop the engine...

In my MSF class they told us to use the kill switch routinely as a way to verify that the switch is functioning properly. The reasoning is that in an emergency (such as a stuck throttle as you approach an intersection, sharp turn, etc) you want to be sure the switch is going to work properly and kill the engine. If you don't routinely test it, such an emergency would be a bad time to discover that it isn't working and now you may not have time to move your hand to the key.

My DCT won't start:
It thinks it is in 1st gear but in reality it isn't. I put the bike up on the centerstand and the back tire rotates freely. The bike is in neutral--confirmed.
The gear indicator shows a "1" in the gear indication. The red switch is in the run position. There is plenty of voltage in the battery. I last rode the bike less than 36 hours ago. I am assuming that the bike believes it is in gear and therefore won't start. Is there a way to override this?

Any thoughts on this before I tow to the dealer?

Wow, what the hell is all this turning it off in gear with the kill switch? Madness, you wouldn't do it with a manual transmission would you.

I've just got my DCT and do the following.

Stop bike, select neutral, side stand down, turn off with key.

To start I turn on the ignition (wait for the self diagnostic to finish) press starter, (put lid and gloves on, and get on the bike) side stand up, select D.

It's our backwards teaching that has us using the kill switch to turn a motorcycle off. I stopped doing this as soon as I got out of the MSF course.

The only solution it seems for the DCT stuck in 1st and won't start is get more juice. Parrallel another battery (don't connect in series!). Or try connecting a battery charger to your NC, the bike needs enough electrical power to move the trans and clutches. It's works for everyone else so far. If not, call up Honda. And report the solution to us to help others.

Stop using the kill switch!

Yes, I'm pretty sure Honda would be aware of this. Afterall the USA is a pretty big market.

And yet they have no ABS option and only a choice of one colour as I understand it, silver.

It may be a big market but they seem to have been side lined somewhat by Honda.

And yet they have no ABS option and only a choice of one colour as I understand it, silver.

It may be a big market but they seem to have been side lined somewhat by Honda.

Depending on the model year, you can buy an NC700X in the USA in grey, red, or black. Just no white available. You can buy ABS but only on the DCT model. You're right though, the choices are limited on the NC because the US market is all about cruisers and sport bikes.

From what I can see on forums and some USA mags in the comments section they do complain about not getting machines that are available elsewhere in the world.
In the first year of the NC they only had silver. The second year red became available, and now black is going to be available so I believe. They don't get the S model or the Integra.

My DCT won't start:
It thinks it is in 1st gear but in reality it isn't. I put the bike up on the centerstand and the back tire rotates freely. The bike is in neutral--confirmed.
The gear indicator shows a "1" in the gear indication. The red switch is in the run position. There is plenty of voltage in the battery. ....

Any thoughts on this before I tow to the dealer?

Me thinks that both DCT clutches are declutched when there is no oil pressure despite energized control valves so you are not in N but in 1st, just declutched.
Even the best gearboxes can be unresponsive to the gear lever, stuck in gear when bike is stationary - its an odd misaligned gears thing.
In your shoes I would rock the bike front and back the moment after I get the ignition key to "On".
I guess that the electrical gear selector is only actuated for a couple of seconds after the key is moved to "on" and within this time window you have to rock your bike for it to accomplish the gear change to neutral - no biggie I suppose... (crossing fingers)

Last edited:
I put the bike on a battery tender for about 15 minutes and when I want back out it started. I can only imagine that it may have been a voltage issue but even that is a long shot guess because I had just ridden the bike on Friday. Today being Sunday. I ride the bike nearly every day so it isn't related to being idle. I am going to go buy the best battery there is available and put it in. Plus, I will have the dealer check alternator output and charging just to make sure we aren't looking at the wrong solution.

This sort of thing happened to my Yamaha and the solution was the same-get a new high quality battery.
Thank you for your input.

I hear a lot of people saying to put the bike in neutral during shutdown but I must confess I have never done that because my DCT always goes to neutral on its own whenever the key is shut off. In this instance of my not being able to start the bike I will stick with the theory that it was low battery voltage and work from there outward.

No it does not go into neutral when turned off, it goes into neutral when you turn the key on and if battery is just a little low it doesn't get there without engine running. I used emergency off switch in 6th one time. Had to work it through all 6 gears to start it. Your indicator verifies it was still in 1st.

Back