• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NC700x not starting when in gear

Gonepaddling

Reaction score
Visit site
BOB the bike stalled at a stop sign. Not exactly sure what precipitated this....
When I tried to start it again...lights when on as per usual , but nothing happened when I hit the start button. Eventually after pushing the bike over to the side of the road:p I did get it running...

BOB starts in neutral only. I can't start it in gear with the kick stand up and clutch pulled in. The manual say it should. Is this a function of a switching system (is it not reading that the kick stand is up)?

Thanks

Clutch safty switch possibly. I had a DRZ that had a sweet spot on how far you had to pull the clutch in before it would crank. I think it only required adjustment. I assume someone will chime in to tell you how to check the switch.

Since the side stand switch prevents it from cranking in gear, I guess it could be that one also.

Last edited:
That sounds like a faulty side stand switch to me. At least that's where I would start. time to get the fluke out.

I believe there is nothing wrong.
If the side stand is down, you cannot put it into gear with clutch in or out. And you cannot start (again).

I did not check the manual, but most Hondas have this feature.

If the side stand is up, you cannot start it when in gear, with clutch in or out. You need to put into neutral.
That's my understanding.

If the side stand is down, you cannot put it into gear with clutch in or out. And you cannot start (again).

If the side stand is up, you cannot start it when in gear, with clutch in or out. You need to put into neutral.
That's my understanding.

Referring to the manual (isn't that what RTFM means?:)) It says that the bike can be started in gear with the clutch pulled in as long as the side stand is up:

"1 Make sure the engine stop switch is in the
Run position.
2 Turn the ignition switch to the ON position.
3 Shift the transmission to Neutral (N indicator
comes on). Alternatively, pull in the clutch
lever to start your motorcycle with the
transmission in gear so long as the side
stand is raised.
4 Press the start button with the throttle
completely closed."

Most probably a problem with a sensor - I'd guess on the clutch first as it starts with the side stand up when in neutral that suggests side stand switch is probably ok.

Last edited:

That's my understanding.

With the stand up, the NC700X will start in gear with the clutch lever pulled in. That is how I start my NC every time. There is definitely something wrong with the OP's bike.

Like turbo says, get the fluke out (Fluke being a brand name for an electrical multimeter) and check the clutch lever and side stand switches, wiring connections etc. I believe the problem to be the clutch switch, because if the bike erroneously thought the side stand was down when it's actually up, it would also kill the engine when you put it in gear to ride away.

Greg

I knocked the wire lose on the clutch handle and it acted as described. Scratched my head for a while, finally noticed the wire was lose, plugged it back in and all worked normally. Hope that works for you.

I had a little crash when I first got my bike and it would not start afterwards. I had to turn the key off and back on to get it going. Similar thing happened this weekend offroading, I tipped over on the bike and when I got it back up it did t want to start. I turned it off and back on and it started right up.

In both cases after the stall, the fuel pump didn't run. After turning the key off/on, fuel pump kicks in and the bike is ready to go. You may have a similar situation.

Reading through this thread paid off this morning. I packed up my bike and rolled it off the front porch like I always do. I switched the key to on and prepared to start her. When I pushed the start button nothing happened. Immediately I began to think of all the comments on the forum referenced in two threads I had read lately. I started checking the wires plugged into the clutch handle, made sure the side stand was up, put her in neutral, and tried again. Still nothing. Now I'm starting to wonder if the sensor on the side stand is causing the problem.

Then I noticed my high beams were on. Thought back a few seconds and remembered turning off the signal indicator when I turned the key on. Then out of the corner of my eye I saw the emergency cutoff switch. It had been flipped to off. Flipped her to on and she cranked right up. I never touch that switch so I did not think to check it. What I should have noticed was the" Engine Light". When the kill switch is engaged I believe the engine light is illuminated.

Morale of my story. If you have a 6 year old boy that is obsessed with your bike don’t be surprised if he climbed up on thing and manipulated every switch on the machine. His mom was outside with him so I think it was sabotaged.

Nevertheless it was a good drill. A lot of helpful information from this board was put to use real quick.

Back