• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

NCX at the Dragon

mnooooa4

Reaction score
Visit site
I so love this bike!

First, the background. I traded my Ducati 848 for my NC700X about 6 months ago when I moved to Florida. It was a more practical bike for riding around FL (no twisties to carve). It was also a better bike to have my 10 yr old boys ride on since they don't have to struggle to stay on the little sport bike seat and they have the top case as a back rest. The NCX lived up to every expectation and I enjoyed riding it. My first non-sport bike in 30 years.

This weekend, we took a trip from Jacksonville, FL to the Tail of the Dragon. Roughly 450 miles. Not a long drive, my longest ride in a long time by far since I normally trailer my sport bikes on these adventures. Fully loaded with the OEM case and panniers packed with clothes and tools, the NCX behaved quite nicely. Was stable at higher speeds, had the oomph to do the quick overtaking of cars and trucks, held steady with the crosswinds. We took about 10 hours with plenty of stops.

Here's the good part. After a 10 hour trip, I still had the energy to unload and make a quick trip to the tail. I had my doubts about its ability since I was used to the high horsepower, sport suspension, stickier tires. , etc. I was very pleasantly surprised my first run. Very nimble, easy to throw into corners, good smooth power 4500-6000 RPM. Went back to the motel with front and rear tires scuffed to the edges and a big smile on my face. The next day, the NCX did great against everything I threw at it. Even managed to scrape the pegs a couple of times. Not the fastest bike out there, but definitely on of the best if you throw in everything it can do that sport bikes can't.

Only 2 things to improve: Need better front brakes and someone has to find a way to make that rev limiter behave in a more civilized manner.

That's it! I'm off to ride some more. :D

Only 2 things to improve: Need better front brakes and someone has to find a way to make that rev limiter behave in a more civilized manner.

improve front brakes??? I find them strong enough. Rev limiter? never reached the limit, you need to change gears more :)

Hit the limiter passing sport bikes who won't move out of the way on the dragon. Then needed the brakes to slow down before the next corner.

They must have been going under the 30 mph speed limit, then, eh? Anyway, the horsepower drops off before the red limiter, so you may as well shift anyway. Once you get accustomed to the bike, the rev limiter will not be a problem. I haven't seen mine in over 15,000 miles.

I'm on my way up 28 and to the Dragon and then Blue Ridge Parkway later this week. Too bad I'll miss ya.
new info incoming....edit.... MAY be on my way later this week. :( grrr....

Last edited:
Safe Journey Home!

OH PS.. I'm sure you've been keeping an eye on the weather, but just fyi...I've been running North/South the last few days and there's nasty cross breezes from the West on the Freeways and anywhere open.

Last edited:
28 north of franklin is one of my favorite roads..... north of Highlands ain't bad either.

It is good all the way from Walhalla to the Dragon, known as The Moonshiner. Section north of Highlands tends to be slow with lots of traffic. Section from 143 to Deals Gap is my favorite section. War Woman, south of Highlands is s great run west of 28.

Last edited:
We need a thread or a calendar titled "Who's at the Dragon This Week?" I'll be heading towards there about June 6. Maybe I'll meet up with someone? Who knows?

Last edited:
Back