• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Need Opinion

Arkridia

Reaction score
Visit site
I went and looked at a 2013 new NC700x today, I was unable to start it but the dealership told me to come back when the weather is in the 60 and they would have it ready for me to try. I was wondering how much has changed from 2013 to 2017. I know that they are coming out with the 750 this year but that is not important to me. Is there anything recalls that I should be aware of or any faults with this year model that should be a concern to me? I do not feel the price is important because I have learnt everyone can find a better price but what matters is if I am happy with the price. I can honestly say I want to get them to lower the price but it is satisfactory to me. One other thing will I still be able to get after market parts for this bike like skid plates, crash bars, anything like that?

If I remember correctly that may be the only year without recalls/product updates, I don't think that year has the gear position indicator in the dash.

You were at a dealer and couldn't start it?
I'd be outta there so fast.
Probably never to return.
Seriously.
It's a pretty small list of things to check on a new bike to be comfortably certain it will start.
If they were not willing or able to do that, and I don't care if it's January (I mean really, what else were they doing all day?), ciao baby!

The 2013 was a good year. There were no recalls for that model.

2017 has slightly different styling than 2013. The plastics and the muffler are different. Look on-line at images and you can compare the two. Except for the muffler, I like the 2013 better than the 2017, but that’s personal preference. The dash board changed for 2017 vs 2013. Also, the DCT version for 2017 has two more sport modes. There are a few other differences if you want to get into details.

I dont think you'll have any trouble finding aftermaket accessories for a 2013.

If this is a new leftover 2013, I would insist that it come with a brand new battery of the same type and brand as original.

To let everyone know the reason we could not start it because it was in storage and I could just sit on it they pulled all batteries so that they would not freeze. If I wanted to wait for over an hour they could of gotten all the bikes in front of it and taken it outside but I did not have time to wait. They are also going to put new tires on it seeing they have sat so long so that I do not have to worry about dry rotting. I was more concerned about problems with engine and transmission. I am looking forward to riding it and see how I like the ride. If there is anything I need to look at please let me know

As mentioned before, IMO, these Honda engines are bulletproof! It's the exact same engine as the CTX and I've owned my CTX for 2 1/2 years with NO engine issues. I've also been on that forum for the same amount of time. The ONLY issues I have read was one guy that had trouble with his DCT. If I recall it wasn't a mechanic issue as it was a computer issue. (That's why I bought my CTX in manual transmission!)
As stated in your other thread, the maintenance is very easy so even an average wrencher can take care of things. But I swear, I can't recall anyone on the CTX forum ever mentioning major engine or transmission problems. These engines are basic and don't need anything to modify as, if you did, it wouldn't really do much anyway. A new exhaust doesn't require re-jetting, for example.

I have the 2013 Nc700x, no recalls, no issues. There is no gear indicator on the dash for the manual model; however, it is easy to determine which gear you are in once you are above 2nd gear-throttle to 3400rpm, and look at your speed-the left number is the gear.
I believe the 2017 model has a slightly larger frunk (22L compared to 21L in the 2013 model).

By the way, there are many dealers which will not start bikes in their shop, and most bikes on the floor are not ready to start (no oil or gas); either local fire codes or insurance regs keeps them from placing gas and oil in the bikes on the showroom floor.

You were at a dealer and couldn't start it?
I'd be outta there so fast.
Probably never to return.
Seriously.
It's a pretty small list of things to check on a new bike to be comfortably certain it will start.
If they were not willing or able to do that, and I don't care if it's January (I mean really, what else were they doing all day?), ciao baby!

I'm with you ! It'd be a cold day in Hell, 60 degrees to be exact, when I return to that dealership. This would give me a clear picture into how they treat customers: sales, maintenance, repairs and a sense of urgency to assist with general information. I live in Tacoma WA and go to see Dale at South Bound Honda whose is #1 in my book.

I'm no expert on long term storage and I don't know all the details of this bike but I'm of the impression it's problematic having anything automotive sit that long (especially new stuff with tight clearances and softer materials vs a 1960 vehicle/motorcycle)
I've heard people in similar situation have early water pump problems, small oil leaks and/or fork seal problems.
If I was you I would look at a used one, someone on the forum was just selling a 2013 with 42,000 miles with every factory option for something like $3,200.
Otherwise I'd express my concern with the sales rep and see if I could get in writing that they would work with me if problems occurred early (that wouldn't be easily covered by Honda warranty as most are anyway)
For reference I own a 2013 standard that I commute on.
I've got 68,000 miles with routine maintenance. I've replaced the fork seals once (no mileage reference as too how often that's supposed to be needed in the repair manual) and the battery was struggling but still worked when I replaced it last year.
Good luck with your decision I'm sure you'll enjoy the bike once you figure out where your getting it

On occasions, the motor on the Fuel Pump can get stuck if they set too long without any fuel, especially if there is some fuel residue is left on them. When the fuel drys out can leave a sticky film on the moving parts and can harden over time. That's why it is best to keep the tank full of fuel for long shortage times.

In this case, a new bike in a crate does not have that opportunity to get a full tank for long storage, thus what I mentioned could have occurred.

Last edited:
Changes from 2013 to 2017? DCT/ABS. These are not available on 2013. Also the Frunk is bigger and DCT has 4 modes instead of 2, as of 2016.
Overall, Honda hasn't had many recalls and the ones it had haven't been particularly serious.
After-market parts (depending on what you want) aren't much of a problem. I've replaced the seat, windshield and added a top case. Easy to find.

If the dealer knew you were coming to look at the bike, they should have had it ready. If not ready to ride, they should have at least been able to get it started. They should have warned you otherwise. If you're buying off season, that is somewhat understandable but they could have let you know one way or the other. If they appeared to be offering an honest attempt and want you to come back, then do so. If they are giving you nothing but excuses, then give them nothing but excuses as to why you aren't coming back.

When I was looking for a bike, I had to have DCT and ABS. I knew that as a newbie these would make my first year experience a whole lot better. I could have gotten a 2014 or 2015 for half the price of my 2016 but I had to have the three sport modes of the DCT and I wanted the bigger frunk. The price for the new bike wasn't an issue as I had looked at more expensive bikes from HD and BMW anyway. In the end only you can decide if how much you can afford and if the price is worth the "smiles per mile" the bike will provide.

Changes from 2013 to 2017? DCT/ABS. These are not available on 2013.

I'm not sure what you mean by that statement, but it could be interpreted to mean that a Dual Clutch Transmission and ABS were not available together on a 2013 NC700X. In fact, the 2013 was available with DCT and ABS. In the USA, the two 2013 model choices were DCT/ABS, or manual trans/no ABS.

Last edited:
The dealership had no idea I was stopping to see the bikes. They had new ones on the floor but these where in the back room to make room for the snowmobiles and all where packed very tight together. He had to move bikes even for me to be able to sit on them. I am going to do as they ask and call them to have them get several different ones that I want to test ride ready. It is a two hours drive so I told him I would call before I left my house. I have not even seen used ones go for what they are asking and they come with a one year warranty, (I can not get even a 90 day on a used one.) I have continued looking for better deals as far as NC to TN and nothing has come close to the deal. I may even buy one for my boyfriend with the savings I have put away for my bike. I know I could buy a 2018 but I could only get one and then have no one to ride with this is a win win for me.

So the 2013 to 2017 isn't a massive change (all of that has been mentioned, instrument cluster, styling, etc.), but the 2013 to the 2018 is a different(ish) engine in the US... the 2018 is the NC750x, which I gather is balanced differently (less vibration), and just a smidge more power (something like 3 more hp and 4 more ft/lbs for the US market).

Personally if I could get 2x 2013's new old stock, for the price of 1x 2018, I wouldn't hesitate (assuming everything else checked out, and that I had a need for two bikes...).

Even with the risks mentioned so far about engines sitting, assuming everything mentioned goes wrong (oil gaskets, water pumps, fuel pumps, etc.) you may very well still be ahead financially after servicing the thing for the price difference, especially if you can turn your own wrenches to replace those items.

It comes with a year warranty so I plan on going in April and if everything is fine with them bringing both home with me, I want to thank everyone for their concerns and will be reading more and deciding what I want to add to them to make them more mine. I will be riding strictly on roads so I am sure there are somethings that will need to be added and some stuff that won't be necessary. Concerns about fixing the bike if it is not under warranty yes I have a boyfriend who told me he will teach me everything I need to know so I can maintain my own bike.

I suggest you set up a YouTube account (if you don't have one already) and save every helpful video on "How-to's". Also, there's a "How-to" section on this site. These owners on here seem to know everything you will need to know, so that section could be a wallet-saver!

2012 through 2014 has lots of aftermarket parts available as they all look alike, same frame, etc. 2014 has gear you're in. I've got a 2014 that has about 14K miles good riding, on and off road. I've only owned it since July of 2015.

It comes with a year warranty so I plan on going in April and if everything is fine with them bringing both home with me, I want to thank everyone for their concerns and will be reading more and deciding what I want to add to them to make them more mine. I will be riding strictly on roads so I am sure there are somethings that will need to be added and some stuff that won't be necessary. Concerns about fixing the bike if it is not under warranty yes I have a boyfriend who told me he will teach me everything I need to know so I can maintain my own bike.

Well if you like “fixing” things, you bought the wrong bike :D If you like riding, accessorizing, and easy routine maintenance, this one’s for you. Check the tires and oil once in awhile and just rack up the (s)miles.

Back