• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

New Rider - NC700X

BikerDude

Reaction score
Visit site
Hi,

I've been looking at the Burgman 400 and 650, and the Silver Wing 600, but it was suggested to me to look at the NC700X DCT. First of all, I have to say I'm liking the look of the 700X very much!

The main reasons it was suggested to me was that the rear brake is foot operated, and it has an automatic gearbox. I would need to make a change in order that I can operate the indicators and horn with my right hand.

I don't currently hold a bike license. Would this bike be suitable for a zero hour biker to learn on? From the many reviews and videos I've seen, just about everyone comments on its ease of handling. In addition, it seems a great all-round bike for commuting and long distance riding (not to mention exceptional gas mileage).

Best regards,
BikerDude.

We have several people on the site where this is their first bike and I'm sure they will chime in. I think that way back in forgotten history when I was learning to ride this would have been a great tool because I would not have "out grown it" as fast as the series of bikes that I learned on, heck I might have been riding it longer than any that I have owned.

This was my first motorcycle, and except for a few hours on a 250 Rebel (during my BRC course), I'd never so much as sat on a motorcycle before riding the NC. I haven't had any trouble at all. Since you're not learning how to shift I'd say there are relatively few things you need to get used to.

However, if the BRC course or its equivalent isn't required for a motorcycle license on your side of the pond, don't skip it. Very useful stuff.

Last edited:
Hi,

I've been looking at the Burgman 400 and 650, and the Silver Wing 600, but it was suggested to me to look at the NC700X DCT. First of all, I have to say I'm liking the look of the 700X very much!

The main reasons it was suggested to me was that the rear brake is foot operated, and it has an automatic gearbox. I would need to make a change in order that I can operate the indicators and horn with my right hand.

I don't currently hold a bike license. Would this bike be suitable for a zero hour biker to learn on? From the many reviews and videos I've seen, just about everyone comments on its ease of handling. In addition, it seems a great all-round bike for commuting and long distance riding (not to mention exceptional gas mileage).

Best regards,
BikerDude.

BikerDude, welcome to the forum!
I echo Cutter J. Duke and cyrano138's comments . If you're able to do the BRC, its definitely worth the effort, primarily for safety and good habits. Secondly, I am one of the DCT owners, the group DCT-Absolutely has other members who own/have similar interest in this derivative of the 700 club.

Excellent!!!

In the UK we have a couple of different requirements, and what you have to do/when depends on age. I'm old enough that I can do a "direct access" course that means I can drive any bike of any size for learning/test purposes, but if I have a bike with greater then a 125/250cc (depends on kW output - IIRC 33 kW is the limit) then I must wait until I have a full bike license to drive it on my own on the road, whilst if I got a small bike (e.g. 50 cc) I can drive it on "L" plates (Learner Driver) on my own on the road without first getting a full license. There is a CBT (Compulsory Basic Training) course that EVERYONE must complete before being able to do this. The rest of the instruction/test is for a full bike license.

The more I read about the 700X the more I want to go look at one!

EDIT: My other post is awaiting moderation.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Last edited:
@TechiePilot: Thanks! :cool:

BRC - can you elaborate? Do you have a separate bike license requirement?

How do you find the DCT? I read earlier that there is a mod that means you can put the electronic shift on a lever on the left foot - do you know anything about this? This bike has my name written all over it! :D

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Wow the U.K sounds like it has some fairly complicated rules governing motorcycles, here in the U.S. there are a couple of states where its so easy to get a motorcycle license that it's almost funny, except for the fact that means there are a lot of untrained beginning riders out there.

It makes more sense than I'm making. It depends primarily on age, though from reading around it seems there is a new law to take effect from next year that restricts the size of the bike for 2 years. Better get my license ASAP in case I get affected!

I don't understand why the bike license is harder to attain - most under 25s kill themselves in cars, not on bikes. Got rich parents? No probs driving a Ferrari... :rolleyes:

https://www.gov.uk/rules-motorcyclists-83-to-88/motorcycle-licence-requirements

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Last edited:

How do you find the DCT? I read earlier that there is a mod that means you can put the electronic shift on a lever on the left foot - do you know anything about this? This bike has my name written all over it! :D

Best regards,
BikerDude.

BikerDude, forgive my use of the alphabet soup. BRC is Basic Rider Course, a standard issue in the USA (also referred to as a Rider Training Course or Motorcycle Safety Training). Its a necessary path to being licensed to ride machines On-Road greater than X cc (varies by state). If one can show the department of motor vehicles (DMV) that they have met the requirements elsewhere, then one pays a few bucks to the DMV to add the "M" endorsement to your drivers license, unless of course one was already licensed elsewhere. Depending on the Rider Training course undertaken, one may/may not need to complete a written test at the DMV. All of this is from the USA perspective.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Hi BikerDude May I ask which part of the UK you are in ?

Hi,

Thanks for the explanation TechiePilot!

@Rocker66: I'm in the East Midlands.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

No way is someone from the East Midlands a northerner Rocker.....:) He's an inbetweeny.......lol

Hiya and welcome to the forum...:)

He is north of Watford aint he? Ergo he's a Northerner :) Personally I start to feel as though I'm in strange land once I get North ogf "The Lane"
No offense BikerDude just a bit of the old N v S banter

Last edited:
So, even internationally there are N.v S. questions..... Interesting.... At any rate, this bike is so easy to ride, the DCT is money that most riders shouldn't need to spend. Good luck to you, BikeDude regardless.

Thanks. An auto is more of a "requirement" than "want", and after years of automatic cars I'm not sure I'd want a full-time manual anyway. I'm not racing it, and in M mode I can hold the gears that I want, so it is almost pointless getting a manual. DCT is the best of both without losing options.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Thanks. An auto is more of a "requirement" than "want", and after years of automatic cars I'm not sure I'd want a full-time manual anyway. I'm not racing it, and in M mode I can hold the gears that I want, so it is almost pointless getting a manual. DCT is the best of both without losing options.

Best regards,
BikerDude.

Except that you don't have the finese of clutch control

Back