• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Ok, be honest with me...

DooDat

Reaction score
Visit site
So I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I had a really expensive, super nice one recently that was nothing but trouble (I'll not bring up the brand here). It was too hot, the gauges didn't work, add-on options that cost thousands constantly broke... well it turns out that all these issues were well known in that particular bike community. I wish someone had told me all that before I shelled out over 20k for mine.

So now I'm looking for something new. I have several years of riding experience (mostly expensive cruisers), but after my last experience I'm looking for something that's a good commuter, inexpensive, fun, gets good gas mileage, something my wife and I can ride together comfortably (I'm 6' & 210 lbs, she's 5'2" & 100lbs), and with moderate storage space. I think the NC700X might be it.

But really, be honest with me... what are the known, regular problems with this bike?
Is it too hot?
Is the DCT a problem?
Is the engine too weak?
Does it stall in traffic?
Is it uncmfortable?
Are their parts known to break?
If you could do it over again, would you buy something different?
...ect, ect...

Please level with me folks. I've been silently reading this forum for the last few days but I figured asking the question straight out would work best. If it turns out this bike is as great as it seems, then when I find one at the right buying price, I'll doodat. Thank you in advance for your input!

Last edited:
I don't think you'll find too many people reporting problems, though it depends on the model year. I think the comfort level of the seat is the greatest generic issue.
I have a manual 2012, it's my first bike, and everyday I wrestle with whether I want to trade it in for a sport bike or cruiser.
But I never do, because the NC is the most useful bike I'll ever own. From the fuel economy, to the on-board storage, from the customization options, to the low maintenance, there isn't any other bike out there that can match it. Do I wish it had more personality? Yes. Do I wish it was a bit quicker? Yes. Do I wish it looked better? Hell yes. But while a sport bike is fast and a cruiser is comfortable, neither will be useful to me as an everyday commuter and leisure vehicle as the NC. It simply does everything.

But whether it holds the same endearment to you is up for debate. You want a good commuting, inexpensive, and fuel efficient bike, you found it. But if you also want fun, you might fall short here. I wouldn't call the NC fun. It's practical, it's a loyal servant that gets you where you need to go, and it's a damn right pleasure to ride. But fun, I'm not so sure.

However, if I could do everything all over again, I would still buy this bike. It's ticks all the needs I want in a motorcycle - helmet storage & fuel economy. It just falls short on the desires.

But that's me. I'm sure others here will have different views. Regardless, it's definitely a bike worth considering.

But really, be honest with me... what are the known, regular problems with this bike?
None

Is it too hot?
I have never felt any heat from the engine.

Is the DCT a problem?
No problems reported except a very rare case where you can get it stuck in gear with the engine off. This can be avoided with proper technique/routine. Other than that, flawless.

Is the engine too weak?
Not for me. It depends what you expect. It can haul 2 people at 100 mph, so I think it's adequate. Low end torque and flat power band make it extremely user friendly.

Does it stall in traffic?
Never stalls anytime, anywhere.

Is it uncmfortable?
The stock seat gets a lot of complaints, but about half the owners find it acceptable. The passenger seat is pretty minimal. Have your wife decide.

Are their parts known to break?
Not really.

If you could do it over again, would you buy something different?
If I could do it again I would buy the same bike, only used, so I could have saved some money. I bought mine the first week they were available in the US, so buying new was the only choice.

...ect, ect...
There are used ones for sale, so that tells you it's not the right bike for everyone. Go test ride one and decide for yourself.

What I like best about it is the versatility, the fuel economy, and the ease of handling due to the low center of gravity. I love the low reving, relaxed engine.

The bike can do it all. Commute to work, or ride it to Deadhorse, Alaska. Your choice.

Last edited:
Thanks guys.

What about trip odometers that randomly reset?
Fuel gauges that don't work?

I'll be keeping an eye out for more opinions from others too.

I agree with Scorpuco mostly. I think its a fun bike too. I've ridden 50 years on everything from sport bikes to competition dirt bikes, and last 5 bikes were Gold Wings. This is not a bike you would want to race someone on, but its no slouch. Rode to Tail of the Dragon earlier this summer with 2 friends. One on a 109R and the other on a 1500 Vulcan, both with appx 6 gallon tanks. Every fuel stop was for them, i usually held about 2-2.5 gallons to their 5+. These guys ran hard, so I had to as well, couldn't let them out do me. They could obviously out run me in the interstate, (but we held 80+ most of the way on the interstate. Once we hit the twisties, all they saw was tail light. Even with the power of the 109R the straights weren't long enough to catch up what I gained in the corners. I think the bike is really FUN. Just my opinion.

Thanks guys.

What about trip odometers that randomly reset?
Fuel gauges that don't work?

I'll be keeping an eye out for more opinions from others too.

Ah, yes. I forgot about the wonky trip meters. That's only on the 2014 model. 2012 and 2013 not affected.

My fuel gauge has been flawless. I'd have to let others speak to that one.

BTW, the weak points of the bike, IMO are:
Stock seat forward slope
Budget suspension but front end can be fixed fairly cheap
Center stand should be standard.
Goofy high tail section design/style robs fuel tank capacity
Wish it wasn't chain drive but shaft would be too inefficient, heavy, expensive
Front fender should extend lower to protect radiator
Should come with a rear hugger like the Honda 250

Last edited:
look no further. this is the only bike with 700cc that get 70+ mpg and long service interval. only DCT in the market.

no other brand, no other model.

I have almost 21k miles on my '12, which I bought new in late '12.

Is it hot? No, not in the slightest, at any time. Of course, it's routinely over 115F ambient here, so maybe I don't notice mild to moderate heat? ;)

Does it stall? NO! I've never, ever had it stall, nor act like it might, nor even heard of that reported.

Are there parts that break? They're still not _that_ old, but I can think of no routinely premature-failure areas. You'll be replacing chains and sprockets more frequently than you would belts and pulleys, but the replacements are not premature in any reasonable sense of the term.

Is the DCT reliable? Surely seems to be. Honda has used a DCT in their ATVs for a few years now, and in the big VFR for at least a couple to few, so I think they have it well-sorted.

Is it uncomfortable? Only you can decide for you. I found it somewhat uncomfortable. A seat and seat angle change have addressed much of my complaint. That said, I cannot ride a H-D all day without my hips aching, either. My wife does not appreciate the thinly padded rear seat nor the relatively high-ish pegs. She's 3" taller than your wife, and about 20 lbs heavier.

HTH!

I changed my mind. Some of the factory-installed batteries die far too quickly (though mine has not). I don't recall that the replacements die quickly, so it doesn't seem to be the charging system. Historically, Honda has had weak regulator/rectifiers in various models. I don't recall that being an issue on the NCX, but again they're not _that_ old yet. Anyway, Honda R/Rs are cheap and easy to come by should they become a problem down the road.

I commute on my nc700x. I split lanes and go on windy bridges every day. Good gas mileage and no complaints.
It starts everytime. Doesn't get hot/over heat. No odometer or fuel gauge issues (2013 model). Some people complain about the seat, but mine doesn't bother me.
I own a DCT model with some options like taller windscreen, givi top case, side cases, sw motech crash bars, denali aux lights, extra loud horn and exhaust slip on.
Everything on my bike has been super reliable. And I really hate problems !
Thats one reason I bought a honda and NOT a b**.
Only thing I wish for is slightly more power, but more power will suffice for gas mileage.....nah, I stay with what I have.

I performed my first service on my own. Just had to order the manual and get the parts. The manual tells you exactly what to do. Parts are not expensive either.
I will most likely perform MOST, but not all the servicing on the bike.

Ken

Last edited:
reliability: They changed the instrument panel on the 2014. Seems be a good few people have had some problems with the trip meter resetting. There are a couple of threads on that. Not a problem on older models. The stock chain is cheep. Lots of us have replaced it by 10k. Besides that only a hand full of random small things like a sensor failing, horn button failing, somebody had a gasket leak on the water pump, etc. So no known common issues.

Fun: Depends on expectations. Low reving engine so the power delivery is different than a lot of bikes. 0-60 5-6sec not 3-4sec like a sport bike. Top speed ~100mph not 150. So for everyday riding she is plenty fast but if you are looking for sport bike thrills look elsewhere. She handles very well so keeping up in the twisties is no problem.

Ergonomics: I'm 6'1 ~35" inseam. Handlebar risers, lowering pegs and highway pegs made her comfortable. The stock seat needs work. Slopes to the front. We have an easy slope mod fix thread. I also added a layer of foam. Other option is aftermarket which there are several threads on that. Depending on the wind protection you want either go with the stock small screen or an aftermarket one. You are too tall for the Honda touring screen. I went Madstad. Passenger comfort depends. Some passengers find it good some don't. The passenger seat isn't great. Butt Buddy is an option or custom seat if she finds it uncomfortable. My daughter (5'10) can go an hour or so before wanting a break. A backrest is a must. The bike has so much torque low in the RPM and the low center of gravity you won't notice that you have a passenger. Stock suspension is budget. Square bumps are a bit rough. Low cost upgrade with Racetech Gold Valves or something similar fixes that.

She is an overall good jack of all trades bike. Good commuter, good in the twisties, good on the interstate. After 2 years of ownership, if I shopped today I would still come home with the NC.

One more thing, do it yourself maintenance is easy and intervals are far apart.

I have to agree with the comments made in this thread. I'd been waiting for this bike to come available, and during a window shopping trip for my s/o, saw one on the showroom floor. Rode it home less than a week later. I do not miss all the quirks, some of which you mentioned, I experienced with the Ducati MTS1100. Was probably the worst engineered bike I've ever owned.

I really like mine! I am not experienced with other bikes, but I notice heat on one leg or the other depending on which way the wind is blowing. (Hardly ever does the wind not blow around here). But I haven't gotten roasted yet. The overall heat production is limited by the fuel consumption, which is lower with this bike than any other.

The fuel gauge works but it is very non-linear. It takes about 70 miles to get to the first bar, and then it drops fast through about 3 bars, and then the bike can go a long way on the blinking warning bar.

I have read gripes by guys who felt like the NC700X is wimpy. They bought it because it looked fast but they couldn't burn much rubber with it, or make a lot of noise, or do 0-60 in a short enough time, so they felt short-changed and traded it in for a bike with a name something like R-1100 RZRR. It's not a sport bike even though it looks fast and has X in the name.

You have to be okay with a low speed engine. You shift up early and you can't wrap it way up, the rev limiter will kick in.

If you rode a Gold Wing, it's not at all like riding a really big bike with a big fairing. You're right out there in the weather.

The rear seat is not meant to be used, just looked at. It's basically a cool looking cover for the gas filler cap. But a custom seat builder can make it wider and give it a comfy shape, or you can buy an aftermarket seat.

If you want a motorcycle for the romance of chrome or flashy parts, for noise, acceleration, overall sporty performance, or for hauling a trailer, you will be disappointed with this bike. But I like it because it is very forgiving and practical. I am not very romantic about motorcycles. I don't intend to go much over the speed limit most the time, I want to bring a little bit of stuff with me, and I can smirk at EVERYONE on the highway because I'm getting WAY better gas mileage than they are even when I'm cranking the throttle open too hard.

You will have the dreaded buyer's remorse no matter what motorcycle you buy.

This one does many things well, but I've seen folks on this board buy it and then sell it because it's not fast enough.
If you're looking for the proverbial "crotch rocket", then this is not for you.

It's a dependable cruiser at heart (I would say).
Good looks, low maintenance, versatile design. I have wished for no other after more than a year of ownership.

So I'm looking to purchase a new bike. I had a really expensive, super nice one recently that was nothing but trouble (I'll not bring up the brand here). It was too hot, the gauges didn't work, add-on options that cost thousands constantly broke... well it turns out that all these issues were well known in that particular bike community. I wish someone had told me all that before I shelled out over 20k for mine.

So now I'm looking for something new. I have several years of riding experience (mostly expensive cruisers), but after my last experience I'm looking for something that's a good commuter, inexpensive, fun, gets good gas mileage, something my wife and I can ride together comfortably (I'm 6' & 210 lbs, she's 5'2" & 100lbs), and with moderate storage space. I think the NC700X might be it.

Is it too hot? - Not at all. This bike is "Well Mannered"...
Is the DCT a problem? - Not at all. Many people on this forum wished that they got one after hearing feedback from actual owners/riders. I find the ride more enjoyable and focusing my mind on other things, like "Enjoying Myself".
Is the engine too weak? - The engine output is in the 50 HP range. You will not set any land speed records on it.
Does it stall in traffic? - Not at all. The idle might seem to be low.The piston stroke is longer an the cylinder bore, kind of like a diesel engine.
Is it uncmfortable? - The stock seat is "Not". You may have to change that within a few weeks of owning it...
Are their parts known to break? - Not at all... Many people on this forum will confirm this.
If you could do it over again, would you buy something different? - Not at all. This is the bike that I have been searching for a long time...
...ect, ect... - There are plenty of both Honda and Aftermarket Accessories for this bike. When the time comes to "Farkle Out" your bike, the choices are nearly infinite on all the possibilities that you could come up with.

Please level with me folks. I've been silently reading this forum for the last few days but I figured asking the question straight out would work best. If it turns out this bike is as great as it seems, then when I find one at the right buying price, I'll doodat. Thank you in advance for your input!

As you may already have heard from everyone that has replied to your inquiry stating that the NC700X is a great bike. Please see my responses to your questions in your previous message in "Blue".

DCTs ROCK!!! You owe it to yourself to try it out for yourself.

Say "Hello" to NaNCy...

Attachments

• NaNCy_514.jpg
    NaNCy_514.jpg
    82.6 KB · Views: 363
This is the most versatile bike I've ever owned. Big enough to run highway small enough to get around on ATV and 2 track trails. I can load it on my hitch rack on the back of my motorhome myself and throw the wife on the back and go sight seeing. My 700 mile trip in the mountains of WV got me 71 miles to the gallon. I came up on 2 big sport bikes and they did their best to shake me in the mountains, but couldn't. The Wing has been sitting.

There is nothing wrong with this motorcycle and there are little or no issues. Like many others on here I really like mine and will have it for a very long time. However, being honest as you requested, it simply is not up to the job of carrying two up in comfort. Fact. There simply is not enough power, and the pillion seat is clearly designed to be just a token for a trip down to the shop or the like, but nothing more than that. If anyone says anything else, they are neither being realistic or honest.

To me, the ability to carry two up requires a substantial motor that can overtake with ease and can cruise at motorway speeds with ease, carrying two regular sized people and their equipment in saddlebags. A large comfortable pillion saddle is also required and sufficient space on the motorcycle for the two people not to be practically sitting on top of each other. The NC does not remotely cover these requirements and was never designed to do so. Honda have several motorcycles in their line-up that do, and all of them are much more substantial motorcycles.

every bike has issues of some sort.
every bike need accessories to your taste and needs.
every bike is far from perfect.
the only issue I found is that dreaded seat slope ,other than that to me its perfect.
the shocks could do with a bit of beefing up but what budget bike doesn't.
I like it as it is .I ride two up all the time and if I start to be a silly bugger and upped my speed the shocks soon remind me to slow down.
and that is how I like it. also I'm no light weight @ 245lbs plus wife 133lbs more than enough power for me.
I'm very happy with mine and its a 700xdct model.
DSC02443.jpg

Back