• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

Out of center rear sprocket (!)

I think my bike may have an out of center sprocket also. Up until know I have been running my chain on the loose side but two weeks ago I changed the rear tire and adjusted the chain to spec. Tonight as part of my end of week check I checked the chain play, it was tight. So I rotated the back wheel and it was loose, rotated some more and it was tight again. I had this issue with a previous bike and the problem was a loose master link, but this time it appears to be the rear sprocket. The chain is tight when the 43 stamp is at about 7 o'clock and back to normal at about 2 o'clock.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Tapatalk

I think my bike may have an out of center sprocket also. Up until know I have been running my chain on the loose side but two weeks ago I changed the rear tire and adjusted the chain to spec. Tonight as part of my end of week check I checked the chain play, it was tight. So I rotated the back wheel and it was loose, rotated some more and it was tight again. I had this issue with a previous bike and the problem was a loose master link, but this time it appears to be the rear sprocket. The chain is tight when the 43 stamp is at about 7 o'clock and back to normal at about 2 o'clock.
I think this is pretty common. I have experienced this on several of my chain driven motorcycles. I adjust my chain to a place half may between the tightest and loosest positions. Seems to work out okay.

What pismo said.........and more lube, possible stiff links and always always run on the loose side "of spec". Does not hurt to check chain tension when sitting on the seat suspension loaded to verify the chain is not too tight.
Many run the chain too tight..........

I am fairly certain the issue in this case is sprocket related, the tightness is based on sprocket location not chain. I plan on just running a little loose until I get new chain and sprockets.

Since you removed the wheel and changed the wheel position (left to right ) I suspect the wheel and sprocket is not running true to the swing arm.????

Just a guess..........there are multiple posting on sprocket chain alignment............several mention tools to check and methods set it correctly.............

Still not buying the out of round sprocket theory. ;)

Still not buying the out of round sprocket theory. ;)

I'm skeptical about that. I'd like to think that modern machining can put the sprocket hole dead center.
I've ordered a D.I.D. VX2 (gold) with the JT sprockets. Let's see if that makes a difference.
Last time (16K miles ago), I replaced the stock sprockets with more of the same and the VX2 chain.
It still makes that throbbing sound, so I'm hoping the JTs will do a little better.
.... though I'm still amazed that Honda would machine sprockets that were so off center they'd make that noise...
hhmmmm....

I don't have the tools to check the tolerance of the stock sprocket but I did notice the JT rear sprocket is a tighter fit on the hub. Changing the chain and sprocket made a very noticeable difference in noise and vibration. I can’t say if it was the chain, sprocket or combination of both. Now I mainly hear the Full Bore tires sing and the normal engine noise.

I'm skeptical about that. I'd like to think that modern machining can put the sprocket hole dead center.
I've ordered a D.I.D. VX2 (gold) with the JT sprockets. Let's see if that makes a difference.
Last time (16K miles ago), I replaced the stock sprockets with more of the same and the VX2 chain.
It still makes that throbbing sound, so I'm hoping the JTs will do a little better.
.... though I'm still amazed that Honda would machine sprockets that were so off center they'd make that noise...
hhmmmm....

Every part has a tolerance and the NC is not the space shuttle...............so the center hole maybe close enough or not. But that brings up the fact the sprocket could be centered off the bolts and not the center hole........we do not know and my never know? Car wheels are an example of centering and it is done both ways .........bolts or center hole.

The sprocket is a stamped piece and then some machining is done after stamping. The OP noted .020" (1/2 the thickness of a dime) measured over an 8" diameter piece........again we do not know the tolerance spec good, bad or other wise........but chain slack is measure in inches so .020" is not much off in this system given this application. ?????

There are more than a dozen measurable variables in play here not to mention the individual judgement level of a good or bad the noise level of a rather simple chain drive system.

One fact is chains make some normal noise but then again shaft drive make noise too................

Honda's marketing spin for the 270* crank design was that the mature rider wanted a bike with "character." That it went beyond the engine to the final drive was once top secret R&D, but the off center sprocket has now gone public. Harley only wishes they had thought of it first.

I don't have the tools to check the tolerance of the stock sprocket but I did notice the JT rear sprocket is a tighter fit on the hub. Changing the chain and sprocket made a very noticeable difference in noise and vibration. I can’t say if it was the chain, sprocket or combination of both. Now I mainly hear the Full Bore tires sing and the normal engine noise.

Same here... no tools that can check tolerances with that kind of precision... still, if the JT's are quieter, then it will be worth changing.
As usualy, this won't be a scientific test, just an indivdual, annecdotal, result...

Every part has a tolerance and the NC is not the space shuttle
ehm....thank god for that?

Honda's marketing spin for the 270* crank design was that the mature rider wanted a bike with "character." That it went beyond the engine to the final drive was once top secret R&D, but the off center sprocket has now gone public. Harley only wishes they had thought of it first.

(insert heavy laughing smiley here)

bahahaha :D

Back