• A few people have been scammed on the site, Only use paypal to pay for items for sale by other members. If they will not use paypal, its likely a scam NEVER SEND E-TRANSFERS OF ANY KIND.

PLASTI-DIP !!! Show us what you GOT !!!

I really like the anthracite but didn't want to wait to order. I looked at blaze yellow for a second or two. It would need white as a primer coat to really make it pop. Probably the same for all of the blaze colors.
Mike

Or just use more coats. Either way, it will take more to get god converage from a light color. Although, if you are just painting the silver parts, you should be OK. It's a light silver.

Or just use more coats. Either way, it will take more to get god converage from a light color. Although, if you are just painting the silver parts, you should be OK. It's a light silver.

I can get white at the local Lowes Home center for 7 or 8 bucks a can - which I plan to use as a base coat. DipYourCar.com recommends using a white base coat for the lighter colors.

When spraying my fender with the fender extender attached I originally was going to cover both with the red. After 5 coats you could still see a drastic color difference between the fender (silver) and the extender (black). I would consider red plasti dip to be in the middle when it comes to tint, between white and black. I assume that lighter colors would take even more coats, if possible, to cover a piece of silver plastic to match the color of covering a white piece of plastic, if that makes sense. I'd bet after 15 coats of a yellow sprayed over black compared to 15 coats of yellow sprayed over silver they wouldn't be the same color.
Mike

I have a front fender that I had to replace but is only just scratched up. It should make for the perfect test platform. I ordered the Blaze Yellow, Blaze Purple, Anthracite Grey and some glossifier to see what I like.

I DEFINITELY want to see it! Those are my race colors and I drool at the thought of having the bikes match! Pic please! :D

well here is my first try at it.before and after.i only have one bad spot where I stoped and started in the same spot.but this is why I did this piece first as a test run so to speak.i also decided to keep this part black as it looks better then the gray.
Untitled by ziggie24, on Flickr

I DEFINITELY want to see it! Those are my race colors and I drool at the thought of having the bikes match! Pic please! :D

now you have me thinking - Purple and yellow are UW Husky colors (Go Dawgs!!) - my alma mater. I was going to go all purple or all yellow but as I was out riding today I kept wondering how creative I could be with striping and stencils....of course, I might fall in love with the Anthracite and it won't matter. But its Plasti Dip. I can change my mind for $60. :)

well here is my first try at it. before....
What did you use to prep?

Before pix looks like the part has road tar or oil/grease on it. Would not think that conducive to good adhesion. Or is it just staining from those things and that's what the part looked like after a clean-up?

Light sanding? Or does that defeat being able to peel off if you want to make a change as DanH talks about?

I have seen one video where the car was two-tone and some areas were masked. It didn't go into detail about how the masking tape could be removed without ripping all of the dip from the car. I wonder if the knife tape used in vinyl applications would work. Stencils would be pretty easy to use with Plasti Dip I would think. I haven't done any searching on the net about stripes or anything of the sort yet. It might be easier than I think.
Mike

What did you use to prep?

Before pix looks like the part has road tar or oil/grease on it. Would not think that conducive to good adhesion. Or is it just staining from those things and that's what the part looked like after a clean-up?

Light sanding? Or does that defeat being able to peel off if you want to make a change as DanH talks about?

No sanding!! No primer!!! Just wash your surface clean, wipe with alcohol, and start spraying!!

Those stains on the plastic not affect the adhesion. This stuff will stick to anything!!

It's not really necessary. it's just another step you can take. the dip will really stick to just about anything. and then once you have the first couple layers down, the subsequent coats stick to the first coats.

I have seen one video where the car was two-tone and some areas were masked. It didn't go into detail about how the masking tape could be removed without ripping all of the dip from the car. I wonder if the knife tape used in vinyl applications would work. Stencils would be pretty easy to use with Plasti Dip I would think. I haven't done any searching on the net about stripes or anything of the sort yet. It might be easier than I think.
Mike

You have to remove the tape as soon as you finish spraying each coat. Knife tape will also cause the coat to peel up if it is allowed to dry. You have to mask,tape, and peel tape immediately

Jay did you paint your handgrabs? i want them black also but i use them when putting up on centerstand .

Jay did you paint your handgrabs? i want them black also but i use them when putting up on centerstand .

Yes, i dipped them too. I use the rails to move my bike when im off it, but i do not have a center stand. I thinkbit will be fine, but you may want to use a clear coat on the hand rails to be safe. They do get rubbed by my girls legs when riding 2-up, but i see no marks in the rails.

I would just be careful to put it on the stand if the bike has been sitting in the hot sun for a while. Its seems to be a little less durable when its been baking for a while. But, everytime i think ive marked it, i am able to run it clean. And when you armorall the dip, it looks brand new again. The Armor All wipes really make the PD pop!!

Sweet thanks.i have a cheap bike cover i put on when sitting out at home.i just might try the clear stuff also.i like this stuff.best part is if i mess up just peel and redo.

I have a front fender that I had to replace but is only just scratched up. It should make for the perfect test platform. I ordered the Blaze Yellow, Blaze Purple, Anthracite Grey and some glossifier to see what I like.

I'm dying to see these colors!!! Hurry up Dan!!!! ....lol
:rolleyes:

Back